Author Topic: The 2 Anti-Virus Thing  (Read 8546 times)

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
The 2 Anti-Virus Thing
« on: June 22, 2008, 05:42:49 AM »
While I'm learning a lot of stuff on this Forum, one thing I did know before even coming here was the bit about 2 Anti-Viruses going on at once was a HUGE Bad Idea.

Today, I took a quick look at a neighbor's computer so as to get an idea if something on the Windows XP AOL LOOK was normal on the computer of those friends on whose avast! I registered today.  Anyway, that neighbor told me their computer's Internet connection had been intermittently slow / sluggish lately.  I went, "Hmmm?  I wonder if it doesn't have 2 Anti-Viruses like this other computer on which I've been working?"  Okay, I remember months ago having asked the neighbor's son what kind of Anti-Virus they had.  At the time, he had told me, "Oh, I have my Anti-Virus through my ISP."  I inquired at the time what specific Anti-Virus?  He had replied back then, "Oh, I don't know.  Just whatever they have, whatever they use."

So, this afternoon, I decided out of curiosity to peek around in the neighbor's computer to see if indeed it might have 2 Anti-Viruses.  Well, it appears the computer IS being protected by Norton.  Now ... my question is:  Does having an Anti-Virus, in this case --- Norton, IN a computer AND being protected by an additional Anti-Virus via your ISP constitute one of those infamous --- 2 Anti-Virus Infractions ?  Or is the ISP's Anti-Virus too far out of the loop ... or more like isolated from the computer's actual Internal Anti-Virus so as to cause any conflict and slowdown?  WOULD it be perfectly OK to have this setup ... an Anti-Virus internally on a computer ... PLUS an additional Anti-Virus via the ISP?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 05:45:28 AM by Chim »
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

PapaSmurf

Re: The 2 Anti-Virus Thing
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 06:13:08 AM »
Well, here is what I have been told about this,
The ISP is protected by their own anti-virus software...this is BEFORE the connected system and does not interfere with the user end...some ISP's are giving out free anti-virus programs such as Norton that the user can download and install on the system. This is not double trouble. The ISP is protecting itself and the protection helps keep its' servers going. The user should ALSO protect themselves with an anti-virus program.
Hope that makes sense :)

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 08:58:04 AM »
Any other anti-virus installed on the computer alongside avast! is going to cause problems.

The AV used by ISP's to scan emails is server based and won't conflict with avast!, but it won't protect from files downloaded from other sources or web-based attacks- only email viruses.

Norton is on the computer- that's a problem.

Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 04:35:10 PM »
From PapaSmurf >>>
Well, here is what I have been told about this,
The ISP is protected by their own anti-virus software...this is BEFORE the connected system and does not interfere with the user end...some ISP's are giving out free anti-virus programs such as Norton that the user can download and install on the system. This is not double trouble. The ISP is protecting itself and the protection helps keep its' servers going. The user should ALSO protect themselves with an anti-virus program.
Hope that makes sense.

Any other anti-virus installed on the computer alongside avast! is going to cause problems.

The AV used by ISP's to scan emails is server based and won't conflict with avast!, but it won't protect from files downloaded from other sources or web-based attacks- only email viruses.

Norton is on the computer- that's a problem.

Thanks a lot for the feedback / clarification, PapaSmurf ... Frank!   :)
Yes, it does make sense.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 11:11:42 PM »
ISP's are giving out free anti-virus programs such as Norton that the user can download and install on the system.
I really doubt it... maybe a shareware version (trial period of 60 days).
The best things in life are free.

sunrisecc

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 11:25:12 PM »
My ISP does give out Norton Internet Security including AV. I do not use it as I do not like Norton for anything. It is not time delimited save that you must be a client of the ISP.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 11:43:02 PM »
It is not time delimited save that you must be a client of the ISP.
The antivirus will be, at most, one year. Check it out ;)

sunrisecc

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 12:47:05 AM »
Wrong. The offer has been available for at least three years. The updates are promised for as long as you remain a client of the ISP. Some of my clients have had the software for at least three years. The AV portion does update itself. I am referring to the program in addition to the definitions.

In fact, when my clients have updated from XP to Vista and they wanted the Norton Security package, I just downloaded the latest version.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 12:51:55 AM »
Sorry, my fault. Seems that your ISP has a very thigh relationship with Symantec.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 12:52:57 AM »
Have to agree with sunrisecc on this one Tech. Some also supply a renamed version of F-Secure. All you have to do is subscribe to their internet service.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 01:05:02 AM »
You don't need to be sorry. I was wrong, just that ;)

sunrisecc

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 01:28:55 AM »
In Canada, there are two major suppliers of high speed service - the Telco and the cable system. Five years ago, the major Telco advertised on TV that DSL was more secure than cable as cable was shown to be a large LAN. The telephone companies offered a security package for for few dollars a month. The cable companies then responded by enabling the firewall in the rental modem/router and offering Norton AV, FW, parental control, and anti-spyware as part of the monthly package. Sometimes competition works. :P

PapaSmurf

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 05:45:36 AM »
ISP's are giving out free anti-virus programs such as Norton that the user can download and install on the system.
I really doubt it... maybe a shareware version (trial period of 60 days).

Well, I was given the full version of McAffee thru my ISP....not trial version. (Comcast broadband) Maybe you
should check out some other providers? lol (Of course I chose not to use it...bloated cow and all :) )

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 03:12:54 PM »
Maybe you should check out some other providers? lol (Of course I chose not to use it...bloated cow and all :) )
I won't change my ISP as I don't want to receive a "trojan" gift: why would I need to user the antivirus they're shipping for free? Here in my country it would be Norton or McAfee (most of the times, trial). Just marketing... I'll use the antivirus that I want.

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 04:15:56 PM »
Maybe you should check out some other providers? lol (Of course I chose not to use it...bloated cow and all :) )
I won't change my ISP as I don't want to receive a "trojan" gift: why would I need to user the antivirus they're shipping for free? Here in my country it would be Norton or McAfee (most of the times, trial). Just marketing... I'll use the antivirus that I want.

Agreed Tech, My ISP offers a full version of McAfee Internet Security for free, but I wouldn't give up Avast for it.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!