Author Topic: RPC Error / Cannot remove/repair  (Read 22071 times)

bunk

Re: RPC Error / Cannot remove/repair
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 02:13:23 AM »
This one shows the start failure that I spoke of this morning:

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 02:20:57 AM »
I haven't come across that one before, not much information in the event log, however I wouldn't worry unduly about it as it is an 'Information' only entry.

I would suggest that you set the avast! Program Settings, Logging, back to the default, e.g. the slider opposite the Notice level. That will remove the avast Info entries from the log. Warnings and Errors will not be effected they will be reported as normal if they happen.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bunk

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 02:26:35 AM »
That slider is still set at Notice / default setting, i've looked there, but never changed it because I didn't know what it did.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 04:20:25 AM »
That slider is still set at Notice / default setting, i've looked there, but never changed it because I didn't know what it did.
Just don't mix things: the avast log level does not change Windows Events recorded.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2008, 01:56:45 PM »
I was forgetting that, which only leaves ignore information notices.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bunk

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2008, 02:12:21 PM »
Avast did fail to load at boot this morning, had the little red circle on it. After which, I did run SFC /Scanow, and replaced all needed files. As I posted, I had a couple other issues going on at start up. I also changed the setting to delay starting of avast. Then I made some tweaks in the window$ logs filters. So we'll see how it goes now. This is something that happens first thing in the morning, after the PC has been turned off all night.

I cant blame it on avast, but if it continues, I may look another direction. Avast might just be more sensitive to the existing issues that the PC has, not sure..........

Thanks again for all the time and efforts with this prob.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2008, 02:28:14 PM »
Avast did fail to load at boot this morning, had the little red circle on it.
Again, is it permanent or takes only some seconds to be activated?

bunk

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2008, 03:06:09 PM »
It stays that way permanantly. I tried right clicking the icon > starting services > no go....... Then, when I do a restart, it fires right up the 2nd time around.
I did check my settings in services, and it's set to start automatically, if it was set wrong in there, it wouldn't just be a hit / miss thing, I wouldn't think anyway.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2008, 03:24:12 PM »
It stays that way permanantly.
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the latest avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.

I did check my settings in services, and it's set to start automatically.
How are set your avast! services?
Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services

I suppose you have to have four avast! services:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner service)

The two first of them should be Automatic loaded and the two last Manually loaded.

bunk

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2008, 03:30:35 PM »
Yes, that is how they are set ^^^

I need to go for awhile, i'll be back on later......

fabill

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 03:46:10 PM »
Ok, I think I have the problem solved, after using the avast uninstall utility, starting xp in safe mode and deleting, then reloading avast all seems to be working as it used to. thanks for your assistance.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008, 11:37:36 PM »
Ok, I think I have the problem solved, after using the avast uninstall utility, starting xp in safe mode and deleting, then reloading avast all seems to be working as it used to. thanks for your assistance.
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help or just to change experiences 8)

bunk

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 12:22:34 PM »
I think I may have found my problem as well. I was adding: RunInterval=10080 under [VRDB] in the avast.ini doc to try to shorten my VRDB update times to 7 days instead of the default 21, I removed that and have not had this error occour since......

The strange thing is, I made this change to all the PCs, and it only effected one of them this way.... I have said for a long time that each PC has it's own personality...... I can do the exact same thing to 6 PCs, and watch all of them react slightly different.  :o

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 01:59:12 PM »
I think I may have found my problem as well. I was adding: RunInterval=10080 under [VRDB] in the avast.ini doc to try to shorten my VRDB update times to 7 days instead of the default 21, I removed that and have not had this error occour since......
Why are you reducing it that way? It will keep the last three versions of the restore info, 21 days is more than enough.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2008, 02:24:51 PM »
Reducing the default VRDB delay isn't advisable (besides the fact that it may have caused problems for you) as you want to have a reasonable gap between scans or you could have three generations in a 15 day period (scan, week, scan, week, scan).

Lets assume you got infected by a virus that was undetected for a period of greater than 15 days then any attempted repair to the previous VRDB generation would fail as it too is infected; so it will try to use the VRDB generation before that and that too would fail; so going for the last of the three VRDB generations that are kept, it too could be infected. Now your in trouble as you have no more VRDB generations and the file on your system is still infected.

So when Alwil makes these default settings a good deal of thought would go into them.