Author Topic: media player crashes system  (Read 8589 times)

Offline SUSZANNAH

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • There We Are Then
media player crashes system
« on: June 26, 2008, 03:01:24 AM »
Hi guys, need help again, tried playing cd on pc and it kept crashing ...... tried playing, saved music list, same thing happened...have rebooted sytem about 8 times tonight and still the same  :(

Is there a way to repair media player or maybe something wrong with drive? tried different cd's still same problem.

Any ideas appreciated   :)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 03:35:13 AM by SUSZANNAH »

sopadeajo

Re: media player crashes system
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 04:00:56 AM »
No real idea about this, i am really sorry,but more people will read this and know how to help you.

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 07:13:29 AM »
Hi guys, need help again, tried playing cd on pc and it kept crashing ...... tried playing, saved music list, same thing happened...have rebooted sytem about 8 times tonight and still the same  :(

Is there a way to repair media player or maybe something wrong with drive? tried different cd's still same problem.

Have you tried actually Turning your Computer OFF?  Throughout the years, on this 7-year old computer of mine, Windows Media Player 9 sometimes stops playing Audio and / or the Video gets choppy or sluggish.  There are sometimes that Reboots will Reset it and it and the Audio comes back and fixes the Video.  But, other times, even multiple Reboots won't fix it.  Sometimes I have to resort to actually Powering Down the computer and leaving it OFF for ohhh, say 5 to 10 minutes.  At least it works for me anyway.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 07:20:18 AM »

As for there possibly being something wrong with the Drive?
Have you tried checking to see if the Drive will read DATA CDs?  You know ... CDs with MS Word Docs, MS Excel, Etc.  Can you view Pics off of a CD on that Drive?
If the Drive CAN read DATA CDs and you can view Pics from a CD, then it could possibly be just your Media Player Software has gotten corrupt.  Maybe it needs to be Uninstalled and then Reinstalled.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline SUSZANNAH

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • There We Are Then
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 01:00:50 AM »
Thanks all for the ideas, seems media player is corrupt, tried to uninstall it but it rolled back to media player 10....with same problems.... :(

No idea what to try next....... any advice on other media players I can try (except Nero) that will also rip cd's?

This is driving me nuts......... :(

Happy-Dude

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 01:50:31 AM »
Well, if everything else fails (reinstall, uninstall, install different versions), you can always try another media player program.

Thing is, Windows Media Player is soo tightly mended with the operating system (Windows), its hard to tell what is left over after an uninstall. To me, your problems are probably coming from left-over media player files after uninstall and messes with the new install.

Try using an uninstaller (like Revo), or searching Microsoft support if the problem persists.

If the player fails completely, everytime, install a replacement program. Many are even better than Windows Media Player, like VLC (www.videolan.org/vlc/), Media Player Classic (http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/), or others.

Just remember to post back when you decide what to do :) .

sopadeajo

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 02:08:33 AM »
Suszannah;

If you real can´t live without music, listen to this (no windowsmedia as far as i know, though no completely sure), sorry again if you have a big computer problem cause i can´t figure out what it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5_1DHEkY_w

Tell me what´s in it.

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 02:52:41 AM »
Thanks all for the ideas, seems media player is corrupt, tried to uninstall it but it rolled back to media player 10....with same problems.... :(

No idea what to try next....... any advice on other media players I can try (except Nero) that will also rip cd's?

Can you elaborate.  I'm not sure what you mean by "tried to uninstall it, but it rolled back to media player 10."  Did you uninstall it via the Windows Control Panel - Add / Remove function?  And did the Uninstall go through?  Or why do you say it "rolled back?"  Did YOU Reinstall Windows Media Player 10 AFTER a successful Uninstall of Windows Media Player?

Offline SUSZANNAH

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • There We Are Then
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 02:55:48 AM »
Sorry i tried to uninstall  it and it only gave me the option to roll back through add/remove..... took me back to wmp 10

all old tracks were on there which had been deleted and when i tried to remove the dead links it crashed again.......

sopadeajo

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 03:42:54 AM »
Read your last post and still unable to help you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZCWyx0lss4&feature=related

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 04:09:48 AM »
Sorry i tried to uninstall  it and it only gave me the option to roll back through add/remove..... took me back to wmp 10

all old tracks were on there which had been deleted and when i tried to remove the dead links it crashed again.......

Let me ask this.  You're saying you initially had Windows Media Player 11?  Is that it?  Then with the Uninstall attempt, it only gave you the option of rolling it back to Windows Media Player 10, right?

You know ... I'm trying to think back to MY Windows Media Player 9 Uninstall / Reinstall last week, and now that you mention it, you might have jarred my memory.  I THINK mine might have been similar to yours.

I'm very vaguely recalling this might have been what took place in mine.  I had Windows Media Player 9 ... but, with also a Critical Update having been added to it sometime back.  So, in the Control Panel - Add / Remove function, it was listed as something like Windows Media Player 9 Update or thereabouts.  I THINK when I did the Uninstall, in somewhat similar fashion to YOUR case, the Windows Media Player 9 was NOT Uninstalled right then and there.  Instead, I think it just removed the Critical Update and left me with a flat out Windows Media Player 9.  THEN I did ANOTHER Uninstall, YES, a 2nd Uninstall, seemingly of the same thing --- Windows Media Player 9.  Except this time, it DID Uninstall the Media Player.

So, with this theory in mind, Suszannah, if your Uninstall attempt ONLY "Rolled You BACK to Windows Media Player 10 ..." likely from Windows Media Player 11 ... then I would suggest to now perform ANOTHER Uninstall.  Yes, this time of this Windows Media Player 10 to which you were rolled back.

THEN if this 2nd Uninstall goes through ... THEN you can Re-download, Reinstall Windows Media Player 11 ........... IF my understanding is correct that that's what you USED to have.

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 06:52:12 PM »

What about WinAmp?

http://www.winamp.com/

I've never used WinAmp myself, Suszannah.  But, on that Net Radio Station I used to listen to (When my Windows Media Player worked OK) ... had it listed as the other Media Player with which one could listen to the Station.  I wouldn't be able to Rave about it or give you the Pros & Cons.  But, it's an option.

Heyyyyy!  That gives ME an idea.  I'm gonna go read up more on it and if it works with Windows 98SE, which is what I have ... I just might download it myself.  Maybe I can get back to listening to my Net Radio Station with this WinAmp since my Window Media Player 9 has gone on strike.

Offline SUSZANNAH

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • There We Are Then
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 06:56:18 PM »
Thanks Chim and everyone for ideas, yes that is the problem I am getting, looked in add/remove it is not in there, but still in program files, which it won't let me delete.

So was looking through pc and found Real Player (didn't know I had it) and......
it, rips, burns etc and is far better than WMP so I will use that from now on. :) I just can't get rid of WMP so I guess it will just have to stay there  ;D

bunk

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 07:33:23 PM »
Did you try, in the left colum of add / remove programs > click add / remove window$ companants > un-check windows media player ? This is of corse if you are using XP......

Offline SUSZANNAH

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • There We Are Then
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 10:24:47 PM »
Hi bunk...yes i did try it but it only removes it from desktop and start menu not off the drive :(