Author Topic: AVAST and Thunderbird  (Read 11900 times)

avastrb

AVAST and Thunderbird
« on: June 26, 2008, 09:56:57 PM »
VISTA Home Premium system with up-to-date version of Thunderbird and newly downloaded/installed copy or AVAST.

When Thunderbird attempts to read any POP email account I get the error dialog:

Alert
  An error occurred with the POP3 mail server.  Mail server pop.xxx.yyy.net responded:

If I turn off AVAST on-access-protection all email accounts work via Thunderbird..

If I turn off Firewall I still get ALERT error dialog.

No other AV installed or running.

Any solution?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 10:07:48 PM by avastrb »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: AVG and Thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 10:02:49 PM »
Your thread title includes "AVG" and you mention that you have a newly installed version of avast.

Did you uninstall AVG before installing avast?  If you did not they are likely to conflict and cause problems like the one you are seeing.

If you did remove the previous antivirus before installing avast then ...

Do you use a firewall, if so have you granted Internet access permission to ashMaiSv.exe (the avast Internet Mail provider)?   

avastrb

Re: AVG and Thunderbird
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 10:06:52 PM »
Sorry about the title typo - strike AVG and put in AVAST.  Too many changes today.

All older AVs have been uninstalled.

Firewall not the issue - I tested with firewall turned off.

Thanks.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: AVAST and Thunderbird
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 11:38:06 PM »
In Thunderbird is this account using port 110 to connect to the server?  Is the security setting for the POP account in the "Server Settings" set to "Never"?

Are you using any spam filtering software with this account?

avastrb

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 11:45:59 PM »
In Thunderbird is this account using port 110 to connect to the server?

Yes

Is the security setting for the POP account in the "Server Settings" set to "Never"?

Yes

Are you using any spam filtering software with this account?

No

avastrb

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 02:31:28 AM »
I restored an earlier C: partition, uninstalled AVG, installed AVAST.

Can now receive and send email via Thunderbird.

I guess the av/email gods are no longer angry.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 02:33:04 AM »
For sure, remains of AVG could due to malfunction of avast, most specially, the email scanning.
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 03:09:08 AM »
As an extra assurance please check that the avast Internet Mail  provider is showing you the subject line of the mails it is scanning when you run Thunderbird to download your mail.

avastrb

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 04:19:35 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion. 

The AVAST Home version Internet Mail provider does not, by default, show the subject line of the mails it is scanning - had to manually turn it on.

Also, it's hard to see, since the Thunderbird pops up its dialog over the AVAST message.  Decide to turn off the Thunderbird alert for now.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 05:08:17 AM »
I did not mean to suggest that you turned on the detailed information in the mail scanner - the information is shown by default in the "Last scanned" field of the Internet Mail provider as shown in the attached image.

By rhe way it is a good idea to have the sensitivity of the Internet Mail scanner set to High.  This costs prectically nothing in resources on your system but, at this setting, will alert you if you have the misfortune to be infected by an email spambot that could use your system to send huge numbers of spam emails. 

hines232

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 02:37:06 AM »
I did not mean to suggest that you turned on the detailed information in the mail scanner - the information is shown by default in the "Last scanned" field of the Internet Mail provider as shown in the attached image.

By rhe way it is a good idea to have the sensitivity of the Internet Mail scanner set to High.  This costs prectically nothing in resources on your system but, at this setting, will alert you if you have the misfortune to be infected by an email spambot that could use your system to send huge numbers of spam emails. 
Dose The  Internet mail scanner need to be set on "high" for all email, of just Thinderbird ?? Thanks

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 02:56:41 AM »
To detect an email spambot infection the Internet Mail provider need to be set to high sensitivity whatever the email client is (or even if an email client is not used - spambot infections can happen even if you do not use an email client).

olddog

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 10:22:01 AM »
Alan,

I take it that when you refer to a spambot infection, you are talking about the type of infection that turns one's pc efffectively into a spam server. I and possibly many other users have been using the default Normal setting for the Internet Mail shield (in the case of Outlook express), not knowing that protection agains this type of infection required the High Setting. Have I missed reading something, or should this type of information be made more prominent. Thank you for making the point.  :)   

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 09:40:53 PM »
possibly many other users have been using the default Normal setting for the Internet Mail shield (in the case of Outlook express), not knowing that protection agains this type of infection required the High Setting.
The infector could be detected by Standard Shield. So, I think it's possible to get warned by this infection if avast virus database is prepared for it. The mail scanner is a second layer of protection when the first lose the battle.
The best things in life are free.

hines232

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 01:23:45 AM »
Alan,

I take it that when you refer to a spambot infection, you are talking about the type of infection that turns one's pc efffectively into a spam server. I and possibly many other users have been using the default Normal setting for the Internet Mail shield (in the case of Outlook express), not knowing that protection agains this type of infection required the High Setting. Have I missed reading something, or should this type of information be made more prominent. Thank you for making the point.  :)   
I agree with the more PROMINENT !!!!! ;D