Author Topic: AVAST and Thunderbird  (Read 11926 times)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: AVAST and Thunderbird
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 01:37:33 AM »
I have recommended this frequently and our most prominent helpers here, Tech and DavidR, have recommended it more frequently. 

We have only the same abilities here as any other avast user.

nweissma

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 04:33:49 AM »
VISTA Home Premium system with up-to-date version of Thunderbird and newly downloaded/installed copy or AVAST.

When Thunderbird attempts to read any POP email account I get the error dialog:

Alert
  An error occurred with the POP3 mail server.  Mail server pop.xxx.yyy.net responded:
i just mention that i have identical circumstances -- Vista-32 Home Premium, AVAST, and Thunderbird -- and I have never experienced a problem in almost a year.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 05:24:13 AM »
nweissma

The information posted by avastrb seems to give a strong indication that the problem was most likely caused by conflict with a former antivirus (AVG) which when fully uninstalled cleared the problem.

There can be other causes for this problem - can you provide us with more details of your error?  Server (if public), port you are using to receive your mail, spam filter if used etc.   
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 05:29:20 AM by alanrf »

avastrb

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 06:09:37 PM »
alanrf -

I assume that your request for more info was in response to my orig post.  If so, that config is long behind me and I can't provide any additional info.

But as a note, on my second (successful) attempt to replace AVG with AVAST my uninstall procedure was (1) use the normal AVG uninstall, (2) go through the C: files and remove all remnants of AVG in the file system, and (3) go through the VISTA Registry and remove all AVG entries there.  After that AVAST was installed and all was well.

avastrb

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 09:30:31 PM »
Sorry about that, I was referring to the the post from nweissma which I misunderstood it as a new error report and was asking for details of it.