Author Topic: Overlapping update..............  (Read 4796 times)

Raveen Kool

Overlapping update..............
« on: April 22, 2011, 08:07:20 PM »
In the 5x versions, during auto updating when i click manual update, the manual update becomes slower due to 2 updates...

ie, manual update overlaps the auto update and does the update twice, it happened once, so i never did the manual update since then. my avast is working properly now.... Just want to clarify that any one encountered with same problem..........

I am using avast 6 IS..........

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Overlapping update..............
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 08:11:19 PM »
???
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 08:16:48 PM »
I understand what he means.

But Rave, There is absolutely no overlapping. It takes time since the second one(Possibly manual update) is waiting for the first one(Possibly auto update) to finish.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 08:20:30 PM »
I understand what he means.

Good. :)
I'll leave him to your advice. (Still don't get what the problem is, though)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 08:24:18 PM »
(Still don't get what the problem is, though)

When he (anyone for that matter) turns on the computer and connects to the internet, avast auto updates to the latest database.Whilst avast is auto updating, he has hit the update button manually. Doing so, takes time to show that it is already up to date. This he thinks that there is overlap.

Hope you understood now. There is absolutely nothing to worry.

Murali

Raveen Kool

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 08:29:07 PM »
When he (anyone for that matter) turns on the computer and connects to the internet, avast auto updates to the latest database.Whilst avast is auto updating, he has hit the update button manually. Doing so, takes time to show that it is already up to date. This he thinks that there is overlap.

Ok this exactly what happened.......... thanks for the advice...........

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 08:30:04 PM »
You're Welcome.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 08:33:05 PM »
Hope you understood now. There is absolutely nothing to worry.

Murali

I know what he means, maybe I wasn't clear.
What I can't see is the problem, as there is none, imo.
Have a nice weekend, Murali..!
asyn

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 08:35:24 PM »
as there is none, imo.

That's exactly what I mean when I said:

There is absolutely nothing to worry.

Thank you. You too have a good weekend.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 10:39:25 PM »
Maybe my system's different, but if I try a manual update without realizing the auto-update's already in progress I get (or got, in earlier versions, haven't tried this recently) a popup warning telling me so.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 11:46:38 AM »
Maybe my system's different, but if I try a manual update without realizing the auto-update's already in progress I get (or got, in earlier versions, haven't tried this recently) a popup warning telling me so.
What kind of pop-up do you get?  The only pop-up I get is the green one telling me that the normal update was just completed.  What are you getting?  We have similar systems.  Try testing it with this newer version and see what happens.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 08:26:41 PM »
What kind of pop-up do you get?  The only pop-up I get is the green one telling me that the normal update was just completed.  What are you getting?  We have similar systems.  Try testing it with this newer version and see what happens.
It's tricky to set up that kind of test deliberately, since I don't know when auto-update's doing its thing other by catching it "in the act" with Process Explorer or the like, although surfing does tend to get a little sluggish while Setup is hunting for a server.  I suppose I could try it when things get sluggish not quite 4 hours from the last green popup.  Over the weekend, especially this holiday weekend, probably isn't the best time to try, since we often get only one update on those days.

And that warning popup I mention wasn't a version of the usual bottom-corner notification, it was more or less centered on the screen.

(Edit) Ages ago, on the old Wish-list thread, I'd suggested adding date and time to those notification popups, which would make things a little handier.  Especially if you're using that "Show last popup" thing.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 08:30:51 PM by MikeBCda »
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent