Author Topic: Avast Screen Saver fails to stop  (Read 9401 times)

clik77

Avast Screen Saver fails to stop
« on: April 03, 2004, 01:01:20 AM »
My problem is minor, but irritating. When I try to resume operations after the Avast Screen Saver has been running, the Avast part of the screen saver (the blue informational box) fails to shut down. My MS screen saver set up is set so that a password must be entered to bring the machine out of screen saver mode. The password removes the standard screen saver, but the informational box is still there moving about the screen. I turned off the standby mode on the monitor hoping that might fix it, but no go.

My only recourse so far has been the old Control + Alt + Delete. That screen reveals both the Avastss and Blank Screen (my chosen "screen saver"). Sometimes removing these 2 programs will return my computer to normal operations and sometimes Explorer will stop responding. My safest thing to do from there is to "End Task" on Explorer (which usually starts a new Explorer) and then delete all operating programs except Explorer and Systray and Reboot.

This problem is getting old fast, and I'd appreciate any assistance in correcting it.

techie101

Re:Avast Screen Saver fails to stop
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 03:28:40 AM »
clik,

My suggestion would be to turn off the MS Screen Saver.
Both "savers" seem to be competing for control of the screen and the system is having a hard time deciding which one to listen too, and hangs.

Try only using the Avast saver to see if it works correctly.

Techie

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 04:44:36 AM »
Techie, the MS Screen Saver that is mentioned isn't the Blank Screen one, I mean, Blank Screen was configurated to be used with avast! Screen Saver?

Sometimes the avast! blue screen remains a little in my system but a little time after it goes away... not a freeze at all...

I asked for a rolling feature at the bottom of the screen but nobody 'listen' me  ;D
The best things in life are free.

techie101

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 11:44:28 PM »
Technical,

Ok, I understand.  I will run some tests later today and see if I can reproduce the problem.

A "rolling" feature at the bottom would BE VERY NICE!
Hope the Avast guys are watching.   ;D

Got to go over to the Off Topic section for awhile.

techie
« Last Edit: April 04, 2004, 03:35:15 AM by techie101 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 11:59:24 PM »
Got to go over to the Off Topic section for awhile.

How am I?
a)  :D
b)  ;D
c)  >:(
d)  8)
e)  :P
f)  :-*
g)  :'(

techie101

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2004, 12:25:23 AM »
clik77,

As soon as I clear up some post Im working on, I will go run some tests on the Avast SS to see if I can reproduce your error.

I will IM you if I come up with anything.  Right now, my Avast SS seems to be running fine on my XP and Me machines.  I have to run it on the W98 which sometimes is a bit more tempermental.  :D

techie

techie101

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2004, 03:39:31 AM »
clk,

I have been unable to reproduce the error or even get close to the same symptoms.

What OS do you use?  I will try some different configurations of OS to see what happens.

Not much else I can do unless I can get the error to show itself.

What I would recommend, is to send your initial post to support@asw.cz
This way the programmers can look into it to see if a bug fix is needed.  Please include information on you OS, system configuration, memory etc.

Thanks,
techie

Culpeper

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2004, 03:48:28 AM »
Is the Avast SS set to scan for known extensions or contents of every file?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2004, 03:50:21 AM »
Is the Avast SS set to scan for known extensions or contents of every file?

Good question but it should work on both, shouldn't it?  ::)

Culpeper

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2004, 03:58:44 AM »
I notice the thorogh Avast SS scan takes a while to stop if it is currently scanning a large file.  It has to finish scanning the file in progress before it shuts down.  If it's scanning an Outlook Express archive file in Windows directory it could take a while.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2004, 04:00:07 AM by Culpeper »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2004, 04:12:18 PM »
I notice the thorogh Avast SS scan takes a while to stop if it is currently scanning a large file.  It has to finish scanning the file in progress before it shuts down.  If it's scanning an Outlook Express archive file in Windows directory it could take a while.

Yes, Cul, you're fully right.
This happens but it's the price to pay for scanning into screen saver mode, isn't it?

techie101

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2004, 04:59:33 PM »
Um....

I am wondering if he unchecks Scan Archives......will it run correctly.

File size does affect the "hold" time of the screen saver but clik77 stated that it freezes.

Techie

Culpeper

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2004, 05:03:19 PM »
His screen saver is also password protected so my bet is that it gets up hung because of thorough scanning in combination with having to enter a password to stop the screensaver.  I would change to light scanning and see if it still gets hung up.  If so, then I would disable the password function to see if it still gets hung up.

techie101

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2004, 05:06:21 PM »
Culpeper,

Possible but not likely.  The Avast SS is designed to run with the MS SS even if passworded.

The MS password is access related and does not affect the basic functionality.

However, it is still worth a try.  I have seen stranger things work.  ;D

Techie ;D

Culpeper

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2004, 05:41:07 PM »
I see.  Actually he can just disable the password function and see if it still gets hung up.  Heck, my machine would get hung up on a regular thorough scan.  I never actually figured it out.  I just eliminated most desktop links and thousands upon thousands of temporary files.