Author Topic: Virus Chest Access Denied & VRDB  (Read 3585 times)

Nikilet

Virus Chest Access Denied & VRDB
« on: June 28, 2008, 12:27:49 AM »
I originally asked this under the subject line of Web Shield, so thought I would reintroduce it under its own title.
When I click on Virus Chest it opens with the following:

Initialization of Chest files

Action was completed with errors!

Errors Report: Program cannot use Chest client: (null)
--->Description: Access is denied

Detailed Information: Initialization of Chest files
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Program will try to load all Chest files from the following server: (null)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Action was completed with errors!

So if I put something in the Virus Chest I'm not going to be able to get to it. Can anyone offer any help on this? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling. The funny part is, two days ago I could open it.

VRDB: I selected it to run only when screen saver is running and then left my computer on and went to bed. Got up late today and it still says that this has not been done yet. I changed it to run when computer is idle. I notice it appears to be running on and off but it's been doing that now for 1-1/2 hours.

Nikilet

olddog

Re: Virus Chest Access Denied & VRDB
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 03:56:21 AM »
Nikilet,

I have read through your previous post. In it you stated that you could not find ashchest.exe, only ashchest.dll.

I don't know what operating system you are using, but on XP ashchest.exe and ashchest.dll should both be found in C:\Program Fiules\Alwil Software]Avast4, so if you are using XP and the latest version of avast! 4.8.1201 and you can't find ashchest.exe, I would start looking at why this file is missing.

I can't remember whether you said you had carried out a repair of Avast. If you haven't then it would perhaps be worth a try. If you have tried a repair then perhaps you need to consider obtaining a fresh downloaded of the current version of avast, then completely uninstalling Avast, clearing out all traces of the old installation and then reinstalling the product.

I seem to remember something about "Generate VRDB only when screen saver is running" applying when it is an avast screen saver, not just any screen saver, but I may have this wrong. I have mine set to generate when the computer is idle. On a slow PC it will take some time to complete.     

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Virus Chest Access Denied & VRDB
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 11:40:06 PM »
Which is your Windows? 98, Me, XP, Vista?
Do you use any other antivirus in your computer?

Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).
If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?
The best things in life are free.