Author Topic: DrWeb CureIt Clarification Request  (Read 3150 times)

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
DrWeb CureIt Clarification Request
« on: June 30, 2008, 01:58:49 AM »
I got this link, I believe from Tech's Links for Everything Sticky Post:

http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/

Questions:
Do you all HIGHLY recommend this utility?
Is it better than SAS or just different and to be used in conjunction with SAS?
I'm a bit unclear as to its Updating method.  Am I to understand that with his DrWeb CureIt FREE, once you download it, you really have no way to Update it and it doesn't update itself while in your computer?  You have to totally RE-Download DrWeb CureIt to get the latest version?  Or did I misunderstand?  How DOES it get updated ... you know, the Signatures?  And how often?  Cuz I would hate to think that at like 10.3 MB, it would NOT be worth it if it was going to be current with its Signatures for ONE Scan ... and then the next time you needed it, you'd have to RE-download it to have it be the latest.

Is this DrWeb CureIt something you can use once a week for precautionary Maintenance ... or is it something more like that you use only when you KNOW you've got some Malware in your computer?
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: DrWeb CureIt Clarification Request
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 02:17:30 AM »
Do you all HIGHLY recommend this utility?
It's a good one.

Is it better than SAS or just different and to be used in conjunction with SAS?
I think it's different: standalone (requires no installation) and it's an antivirus before being an antispyware/antitrojan.

I'm a bit unclear as to its Updating method.
You need to download the full file again.

then the next time you needed it, you'd have to RE-download it to have it be the latest.
Exactly.

Is this DrWeb CureIt something you can use once a week for precautionary Maintenance ... or is it something more like that you use only when you KNOW you've got some Malware in your computer?
I think it's good when you're not sure if the computer is clean or not, as a second or third opinion. For sure, not for weekly maintenance.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 03:32:33 AM »

I think it's good when you're not sure if the computer is clean or not, as a second or third opinion. For sure, not for weekly maintenance.

Okay, I'm clear now.  The 10.3 MB or whatever it was is definitely going to relegate it to download it ONLY when needed as that 2nd / 3rd opinion.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 03:40:20 AM »
Chim,

Have you configured your copy of Opera for Dr.Web LinkChecker for Opera?

http://freedrweb.com/browser/opera/

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 04:56:48 AM »
Chim,

Have you configured your copy of Opera for Dr.Web LinkChecker for Opera?

http://freedrweb.com/browser/opera/

Uhhh, No, I hadn't.  Hadn't even heard of it.
Wow!  You're quite the Trick or Treat Goodie Bag of Useful Information tonight.   ;D

Let me see if I get this straight.  In each of those 3 sections, I would only add ONE Line ... the line --- 'Item, "Scan link with Dr.Web"' and ending '""'): ... right?  Is this done straight up simply right there on the Standard_Menu_ini File?  I would open it right then and there or is this one of those things that has to be done in Notepad?

I take it YOU have obviously done it?  No Slowdowns, Problems, Glitches with it being there?  Then again, this is just something the USER selects by Right Clicking the suspect Links, right?  It's NOT actually checking EVERY Link you open.

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 05:03:22 AM »

Let me see if I get this straight.  In each of those 3 sections, I would only add ONE Line ... the line --- 'Item, "Scan link with Dr.Web"' and ending '""'): ... right?  Is this done straight up simply right there on the Standard_Menu_ini File?  I would open it right then and there or is this one of those things that has to be done in Notepad?

Addendum:
Okay, I meant ... that begings with - 'Item, "Scan link with Dr.Web"' ... and ends with - '""'