Author Topic: Updates in Avast! 4.8 Professional  (Read 26789 times)

Stewart Fluney

Updates in Avast! 4.8 Professional
« on: June 28, 2008, 08:46:34 PM »
I wonder if you could explain the following items in the Avast! 4.8 Professional program to me and their purpose.  I have been unabe to ascertain this from the Help file, etc.

1.  "Automatic Updates:  Database only".  This appears in the window to start Avast! 4.8 Professional.

2.  "IAVS Update".

3.  "Program Update".

Items 2 and 3 above appear under "Updating" which comes up in a window from right-clicking on the Avast! icon near the clock at the bottom of the computer screen.  I clicked on and ran both items.  From
running #2 the answer was "VPS:  Already up to date".  From running #3, the answer given back to me was "Program:  Already up to date".

I do not have sufficient expertise to interpret these update expressions and understand the answers.

I have a Dell Dimension 4100 Desktop computer with Windows XP - Home Edition - operating system, Service Pack 2, Pentium 111 processor with 930 MHZ, 20 GB Hard Drive and 512 MB of RAM.  The file system is FAT 32.

Your response would be very much appreciated.

Stewart Fluney

Rick F

Re: Updates in Avast! 4.8 Professional
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 10:56:58 PM »
Hi Stewart,

Welcome to Avast forum.

The 'IAVS' or VPS updates' are one in the same.  It refers to the virus definitions.  These updates occur quite often... sometimes 2 or 3 times a day... or maybe we'll skip a day.  It's a good idea to leave this set to automatic.  By default, avast checks for virus definitions (IAVS or VPS or database) once every 4 hours when you PC is on.

The 'program update' is just that. It checks to see if there is a later version of the program or software.  For instance, you said you're on 4.8.1201.  This is the latest version.  I choose to set 'program update' to manual so I can check here on the forum about any program updates before I allow my PC to update to a newer version of program.  If you don't want to do it manually, I would suggest you check 'notify me'... which means it will check to see if there is a later version program available and tell you that it's available.  This way if you're busy using you computer, you won't have to worry about getting interrupted (if program updates you will have to reboot).

Hope this helps.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 11:54:16 PM »
The default setting for the Program Update is 'Ask' it will check if an update is available and notify you it is and click the box if you want to install it then. This is by far the best option, so leave it on the default setting.

It is also best to leave the virus database (VPS) update at Automatic (the default).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Stewart Fluney

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 01:40:36 AM »
Rick F:
David R:

Many thanks for your response and information.  It will be quite helpful.

Stewart Fluney

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 02:13:24 AM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security