Author Topic: Program cannot use Chest client: (null) --->Description: Virus chest server is n  (Read 4941 times)

pokemonmasters

Well I just installed the trial of Avast 4.8 pro, and I get this error when I tried to move some Trojan to the chest (it said "Recommended Action : Move to chest" so i pressed move to chest instead of delete..)

Code: [Select]
Program cannot use Chest client: (null)
--->Description: Virus chest server is not running. RPC communication failed.

Any idea how I can fix this?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

If that doesn't work try, uninstall, reboot, install, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Do you have the trojan file name and path also?
The best things in life are free.

W8Lifter

I am getting the same error when clicking on the 'Chest' Icon in the simple interface.

I can only start WindowsXP in Safe Mode, but chose with Networking so I have a connection.

I tried initiating all 'applications' associated with Avast 4.8 by double clicking them in the Anwil directory.

I also tried installing Avast 4.8 again, but that did not fix error.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllllpppppppppppppppppppp!! ;-)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
The question asked of the original poster is most important as any other AV or remnants of an AV can reap havoc.

So please answer the question I asked before.
Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

W8Lifter

No, I did not have any other A/V Software installed at the time I got the error.

My HD crashed ~1 year ago and I had to re-install everything on a new HD. Avast Home was the only A/V software I used for a few years.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
We aren't talking about at the time of the error, but ever installed as many are notorious for the remnants they leave and the conflict they cause to other security software.

W8Lifter

No, I did not. Since replacing my hard drive last year, I did not have any other A/V software installed, before I got the error.

I will mention I just did a search for all files that were modified in the last 2 days and now realized this Virus/Worm wiped out my entire Windows User Profile and all the files in my Documents folder.

That profile is now listed as '0 files, 0 Bytes'.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 04:43:17 AM by W8Lifter »

W8Lifter

I wanted to say I got past that error only because I downloaded and ran a few other programs that found 76 virus infected files.

First I downloaded 'Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and then ComboFix and they cleaned up the 76 infections.

Unfortunately, WinXP still locks during start up before the Windows Login Page appears. I tried going to Windows Update and it gave me:

[Error number: 0x8007043C]

The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem. 

The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.
For self-help options:

Frequently Asked Questions

Find Solutions

Windows Update Newsgroup
For assisted support options:

Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)

so Im going to give Mr Bill and his crew a shot at it, until they try to ask me for money. ;-)

Any suggestions would be appreciated though and keep up the good support. I used to train MindSpring/Earthlink Tech Support to give "Wow Support", so my hats off to ya'll trying to help others. :-)