Author Topic: WebShield  (Read 7446 times)

Evermore

WebShield
« on: June 29, 2008, 05:55:22 PM »
I'm new to your forum so bear with me. I just installed Avast 4.8. My problem is: I was unable to use Internet Explorer after installation. After many trial and error procedures, I found my problem to be caused by webshield. To clear problem, I clicked on webshield and used customize, basic tab "redirected HTTP port(s)" I had to remove the 80 and leave area blank in order to use my browser Internet Explorer. Avast seems to work fine by removing the 80. Is there away to correct the problem with leaving area blank? I'm uncomfortable leaving the 80 removed. My system is Dell XP. I'm using windows firewall. I tried disabling firewall that didn't help. I also searched your forum in Webshield. I found lots of information, but none of suggested fixes worked. Any idea's would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: WebShield
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 09:00:09 PM »
If you remove port 80 your http traffic won't be scanned. It's the same as disabling WebShield.
But if you're using just Windows Firewall, with only inbound filtering, you shouldn't have any problems using avast and its WebShield. Which is your operational system? Did you have any other antivirus before avast?
The best things in life are free.

Evermore

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 02:54:15 AM »
Thanks for your comment. My operating system is a dell 310 windows Pro XP. I was using PC Security Shield Anti-Virus pro2007 program . I uninstalled program using the control panel add/remove procedure than deleted files and folders in windows explorer. I was afraid I shouldn't remove the 80. If I don't find an answer pretty soon I will have to delete Avast and try another anti-virus program. I have never had an virus and I sure don't want one.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 10:15:11 PM »
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the latest avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.

Evermore

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 11:52:58 PM »
tech; I did the above as you suggested. Everything went well on uninstall and reinstall. But, the problem is still there. I'm unable to use Internet Explorer until I disable WebShield or remove the 80 from "redirected HTTP port(s)": Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 11:57:53 PM »
tech; I did the above as you suggested. Everything went well on uninstall and reinstall. But, the problem is still there. I'm unable to use Internet Explorer until I disable WebShield or remove the 80 from "redirected HTTP port(s)": Any help would be appreciated.
Make sure your browser is not set to "Work Offline" (this option is generally in the File menu). If it doesn't help, try switching the proxy settings from "Auto-detect" to "No proxy" (I'm assuming you're not connecting to the Internet via proxy).

Left click the avast icon > Settings > Update (Connections) > Proxy

Evermore

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 12:40:28 AM »
The Browser wasn't checked to work offline. I switched my proxy from auto detect to no proxy. It still didn't work. I have DSL Internet provider.

Evermore

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 05:29:23 PM »
Is it safe to surf the web without webshield enabled or remove the 80 after "redirected HTTP port(s):"
This is what avast support sent me:

>Thank you for contacting ALWIL Software company with your concerns
>
> My name is ***** and I am happy to assist you today
>
> I recommend you to turn the Web Shield off. Don't worry, it will not
> reduce the security level provided by avast!
>
> 1) Click on the blue a-ball icon in system tray to show the Resident
> protection settings
> 2) Click on the DETAILS button
> 3) In left pane, click on WEB SHIELD provider
> 4) In right pane, click on TERMINATE
> 5) Confirm the permanent changes with OK button(s)
>
> If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to contact me again
> __
> Best regards

I'm very uncomfortable disableling webshield.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 05:38:02 PM »
Do you use PeerGuardian or any other application that filters the http traffic (like K9, an annonimizer, etc.)?
I can't be against Alwil's suggestion, but I can't believe they've gave up so quickly instead of helping you troubleshooting.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 07:32:53 PM »
What we don't see was what your question was, an answer in isolation is hard to get a context as to why they might have suggested that.

If it was relating to this problem they might have offered the suggestion to quickly allow you to browse the internet.

Whilst the protection level isn't greatly diminished as you have the fall-back of the Standard Shield, but that unlike the web shied doesn't scan all files downloaded on port 80 and saved to your browser cache (only those executables or files susceptible to infection, etc.). It is also checking within your system as opposed to before it is saved to your system like the web shield.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Evermore

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 01:37:49 AM »
The answers to a couple of your questions.
Davidr; here is my original message I sent to Avast support:

To Avast support;
I just installed 4.8 free version of Vast. I'm unable to use Internet Explorer if I have Webshield provider enabled. When I disable Webshield I'm able to use Internet Explorer. I'm using Windows firewall. I disabled windows firewall and that didn't make any difference. I'm using Windows XP. I don't like to use my system without Web protection. Do you have any suggestions on what I could try? Thanks

The answer I got is above.

Tech; No To my knowledge I don't use any other application that filters the HTTP traffic. I don't have any of the ones you mentioned. I use Iowatelecom DSL for my provider and has always worked great. I feel the problem must be in my computer settings somewhere, but I have no idea where!!!

The third part utilities that I use on my system are: Super Antispyware, Malwarebytes Anti-malware (MBAM), Spyware Blaster, Windows defender, paid version of webroot Spysweeper, WinPatrol and ccleaner.
I really appreciate your help. I would like to keep Avast 4.8 but i would like it to be in Avast default working order.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 01:50:16 AM »
Yes looks like they gave you the short answer to get you browsing quickly.

I have to say that with only the windows firewall which shouldn't have any interaction I'm stumped as to what it might be as you have also uninstalled and cleaned up after your last AV.

Do any other security applications happen to block the ashWebSv.exe file (Windows defender, webroot Spysweeper or WinPatrol would be the likely suspects) ?

That is the only other thing I can think of that could have this impact, as when there is no web shield redirect the web shield doesn't scan anything so wouldn't be blocked.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 01:51:51 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 04:56:34 AM »
paid version of webroot Spysweeper
If you temporary disable it, will Internet connection work?
If you temporary uninstall it, will it work?

Evermore

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 01:58:50 PM »
tech; I did try temporally disabling Webroot Spy sweeper. It still didn't work. I haven't tried uninstalling it. I have tried disabling all my third party utilities. None of them made any difference. Lets try going to another area and see what you think should be ticked or application should be installed.

Internet Explorer>tools>Internet options>connection tab>lan settings>Should this be checked mine is unchecked "use a proxy server for your lan". If I check it than click advanced I have no applications in this window except at very bottom under exceptions it has *.local. Should I have any applications in "proxy address to use". I don't understand what all this means, but just maybe this area should be verified.

Evermore

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 03:54:45 PM »
Tech and everyone who helped me; I think I found my WebShield problem. I reinstalled my old firewall that I was using before I  installed Avast, I disabled the windows firewall. WebShield is now working with all the default applications and webshield enabled. I allowed the necessary Avast files to pass through my firewall.  I would have to look them up to verify what they were. I had disabled the windows firewall but it still didn't work. Maybe there was some remnants of the old firewall still blocking the avast request!!! When I reinstalled it and allowed the proper files to pass it worked. Anyway persistence and trial and error paid off. I will now have to do something with my firewall.