Author Topic: Virus database doesn't automactically update....  (Read 3850 times)

tyty1993

Virus database doesn't automactically update....
« on: June 30, 2008, 06:13:31 AM »
Hi!

I currently have Avast! 4.8 and the virus database doesn't automatically update. Before, when I first downloaded it, it would used to, but then after a while, it stopped. All my settings are set correctly, and now, I have to manually update it every time I get that error message.

Is there something wrong?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Virus database doesn't automactically update....
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 06:14:58 AM »
Please tell us the "error message" you are seeing.

tyty1993

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 09:45:55 PM »
I can't exactly remember the error message, but instead of a blue rectangle popping up saying "Virus Database has been Updated", it pops up as a red rectangle, and says error while attempting an update or something like that. And then it says it couldn't connect to download#.avast.com.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 09:49:07 PM »
Does it occurs all the time or just after booting?
How do you connect the internet? Dial-up?
Which is your firewall?
Can you manually update the antivirus?
The best things in life are free.

tyty1993

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 09:54:31 PM »
1. It occurs everytime.
2. I connect via Wireless. Broadband.
3. Firewall is on
4. I can manually update the VPS.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 10:13:09 PM »
3. Firewall is on
4. I can manually update the VPS.
Which firewall?
If you can manually update, there is no reason for the automatic to does not.

You can change (or add) AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds value into the [InetWD] section of avast4.ini file.
You could set the number of seconds to wait before attempting to update. The default is 30 but it may not be enough in some DSL systems. In this case, you can try increasing this e.g. to 60 (1 minute). That should be enough.
More details here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1647
The best things in life are free.

tyty1993

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 10:32:33 PM »
Ok, I've changed the ini file. I'll see what happens.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 10:40:45 PM »
You didn't mention the firewall you use ?
You should also check, does it allow avast.setup internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and do a manual update and reconnect to the internet, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tyty1993

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 11:19:04 PM »
I use the Windows Firewall?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 12:07:14 AM »
OK that rules out any interaction as the windows firewall doesn't provide any outbound connection checking.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tyty1993

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 12:16:46 AM »
Well, ok. I'm gonna try to clear up myself.

I have two computers with the same license. Computer 1 (my laptop) was installed almost a year ago. Everything worked fine. After about 1/2 month or so, it stopped updating automatically. So I kept manually updating my database. Almost a year later, (now) and just recently, I installed Avast! 4 onto my Desktop computer (Computer 2). It updates normally on a regular basis. Both computers use Windows Firewall, and Computer 1 doesn't update automatically, but Computer 2 does.

See the difference?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 12:36:11 AM »
Which computer has the Internet connection that the other shares ?
Perhaps there is something relating to updating through the network and wireless router, sorry I don't use a network so can't suggest what to check.

If as you say the two computers use the same key, and you talk of almost a year ago, if your registration is out of date (although the Home version should last for 14 months) this may have nothing to do with it as you say this has been the case for most of the time on one system.

However, it wouldn't hurt to re-register. Complete the avast! 4 Home Registration form and you will receive an email from register @ avast.com (without the spaces) with your registration key.

If computer 2 does update automatically and the settings are essentially the same.

Try a repair of avast on the system that doesn't update automatically. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

If that doesn't work try, uninstall, reboot, install, reboot.