Author Topic: avast! 4.8 Home Copy to CD?  (Read 9212 times)

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: avast! 4.8 Home Copy to CD?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 03:23:07 AM »
WARNING:   I am going to attempt to intermingle my commentary to different areas.  This MIGHT work correctly ... or it might be a DISASTER of epic proportions.  Probably the latter will be true.  Here goes:

The Icon on which we Double Click and then the avast! Installation Wizard comes up and guides you through the Install process.

I don't think it's an icon, but the SETUPENG.exe file itself.
After installed, avast puts an icon on desktop to start avast and not the installation.
This icon could be easily created when you repair your instalation.
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).

True ... it is NOT the BLUE avast! Icon of which I am talking.  But, you have to admit ... to a CERTAIN extent, it IS an Icon because there IS a little symbol there of a Computer for the SETUPENG.exe File.[/quote]

Would I just quote the entire post and just simply intermingle my comments right in there in multiple areas?  Or would that neutralize the other Poster's Quote Box?

You need to quote and then copy the header of the quoting. Divide in pieces, each one started with the quote header and ended by the [] with the /quote inside it.

Whew!  This was ROUGH!  I have no idea if this is going to come out correctly.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 03:43:13 AM »

Programs like WMP don't have a nice incremental update as they require that you download the latest version and install over the top or reinstall. So the benefit of backing up the installation file isn't as useful.

The same is true of Adobe Reader and because it is too big anyway I stopped using that and use Foxit Reader, much smaller http://www.foxitsoftware.com/, I'm a dial-up user too.

I was seconds away from downloading Foxit when ..... I just happened to notice that Foxit is only for Windows Me and above.  Oh well, I guess I gotta stick with Adobe Reader.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 03:59:30 AM »
According to Majorgeeks, Foxit works on all Windows OSs.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Foxit_Reader_d4763.html

Foxit Reader runs on Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP/2003. It is provided by Foxit Software Company for free non-commercial use. This product is provided AS IS without any explicit or implicit warranty.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 04:10:31 AM »
Filehippo lists Foxit reader as working on all Windows, if you have a problem with the latest version, filehippo has old versions that will surely work on your system. ;)

http://www.filehippo.com/download_foxit/tech/

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 04:43:29 AM »
Filehippo lists Foxit reader as working on all Windows, if you have a problem with the latest version, filehippo has old versions that will surely work on your system. ;)

http://www.filehippo.com/download_foxit/tech/

Interesting ... MajorGeeks has a different version, no doubt older than FileHippo's 2.3.2933.  So, MajorGeeks' version could very well work with my Windows 98SE.  FileHippo's version 2.3.2933, which they claim works on ALL Windows, is the same version that C/Net download.com says only works on Windows Me and above ... and SnapFiles.com says it works on Windows 2000 and above.  But, as you said, ultimately at FileHippo I can very likely find an older version that works for me.

Thanks for the Heads Up, rd!

By the way, IF they prompt me if I want to download the Toolbar, like the Foxit website has ... SHOULD I download the Toolbar?  Or is that something totally unnecessary?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 03:10:55 PM »
Filehippo provides multiple versions, the default download link usually has the current version, but it also has links for earlier versions, something that is handy for people that experience a problem with a certain version.

In your case a new version of some software might not support win9X (not just talking about FoxIt Reader here), but the earlier versions do, so it is a very handy resource for older versions of programs.

I never take an option to download a toolbar, I don't want clutter in my browser and for the most part are a waste of time.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2008, 04:39:52 PM »
Filehippo provides multiple versions, the default download link usually has the current version, but it also has links for earlier versions, something that is handy for people that experience a problem with a certain version.

In your case a new version of some software might not support win9X (not just talking about FoxIt Reader here), but the earlier versions do, so it is a very handy resource for older versions of programs.

I never take an option to download a toolbar, I don't want clutter in my browser and for the most part are a waste of time.

No Toolbar it is then.
If both Foxit and Adober Reader are in ones computer, can Foxit be set to be the default PDF File Reader?  Would one be able to just simply click on a PDF File and it would open right up ... or would one have to first open up Foxit and then click on Open and then specify the PDF File?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2008, 05:33:01 PM »
Shortly after installing FoxIt reader I uninstalled Adobe acrobat reader.

You can right click on a pdf file (at the same time holding the shift key), and select open with and that will give the option of what program to use, there is a check box that allows you to set it as the default program for that file type.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2008, 05:49:14 PM »
By the way, IF they prompt me if I want to download the Toolbar, like the Foxit website has ... SHOULD I download the Toolbar?  Or is that something totally unnecessary?
Do not download it, it's my suggestion.
If it comes with the installer, do not install it. You don't need it.
The best things in life are free.