Author Topic: Limited install  (Read 3253 times)

ramjam

Limited install
« on: June 27, 2008, 11:26:38 AM »
Will it help with the slow down of surfing I have experienced since installing AVAST,if i choose the limited installation option?
Or is there one or more ,of the shields I can disable?

Since it became impossible to update Avira, I have installed AVAST just to be able to say I have "a" anti-virus, and do not expect stellar protection.
However with 7 shields running my DSL is now in the slow dial-up range when surfing.
thanks for all assistance.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Limited install
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 04:27:42 PM »
I doubt the limited install would do anything that you can't remove from the current installation.

My main question is have you fully uninstalled avira as that could have an impact ?
Avira AntiVir Uninstall Package & RegistryCleaner (choose appropriate version): http://www.avira.com/en/support/support_downloads.html

There is only one shield that would have a direct impact on your browsing and that is the Web Shield.

The P2P and Instant Messaging Shields only have an impact if you are also running P2P and IM applications in the background. If you don't use any of these applications then you can Terminate these Shields/Providers.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ramjam

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 05:54:02 PM »
I have run the uninstall package, but the registry cleaner displayed a lot of keys that I was afraid to delete.
I ran the registry utility in CCleaner,and removed 6 or 7 Avira marked keys.
I do not use the things you listed.
will disabling the associated shields help?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 06:23:29 PM »
Disabling, pausing doesn't do anything permanently unless you mean what I said Terminating. That would have no impact as if you don't have any of those programs, although the shields are loaded they wouldn't have been doing anything they would be in a waiting state.

Personally if it is the antivir displayed lots of keys I would have to take its word for it that the keys were relating to the avira installation.

You could backup the registry first with a program called ERUNT (do a search for that it should get it) and then run the avira uninstall tool.

Have you rebooted since using ccleaner as any registry changes wouldn't take effect until the next boot ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

olddog

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 03:01:22 AM »
Ramjam,

You haven't provided any details about your computer, CPU Speed, Ram Size, Operating System. With fast processors, plenty of memory etc, the increased checks needed by AV to combat the ever increasing number of threats does not generally impose a significant reduction in performance, but that is not always the case with older, slower systems.

If you are not using instant messaging, Microsoft outlook/exchange, or P2P I would terminate these shields simply to perhaps save some memory - you can always restart them if you want later.

As you specifically referred to surfing, you could try terminating the Web shield. This will remove a layer of protection, and you will then be relying on the Standard shield, so understand if it does improve your surfing performance, it is at a price, and you must decide if it is worth it.  :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 03:07:58 AM by olddog »

slackjack

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 08:07:58 AM »
AMD athlon64 X2 DualCore processor 5200+894MB Ram. Windows XP pro SP3
Not state of the art,but not stoneage.

None the less there certainly is a measurable hang after installing AVAST.

At any rate, terminating the shield you noted seemed to help a great deal.
While the whole point of a security software is detection,system impact counts also.If those two were the only considerations I would have remained with Avira Anti-Vir, as it is far superior in terms of both,regardless of the number of shields or their configuration.
But a mediocre anti-virus with updates is better than a excellent one that is out of date.

With or without this or that shield,I am confident that I am getting just about the protection a glance at Av comparatives indicates.

thank you for all assistance

olddog

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 08:30:33 AM »
Slackjack,

You seem to be directly answering a question and suggestions I directed to Ramjam. Are you using more than one ID in this forum?

slackjack

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 06:48:34 AM »
"Are you using more than one ID in this forum?"

That is entirely possible. At different times I have been given the "Invalid User Name" jazz when attempting to log on to try to find out something needed to fix a problem with this software.
In any event,their Forums indicate Avira is now updating OK,so I should be able to return to real protection.
It beats me how fan-boys,and you have a bumper crop you should be proud of,
(Avast "evangelist"? My God!!) can have so much loyalty to a software.
We are talking about a collection of "ones" and "zeros" not your family,religion,or country.
And when that collection of "ones" and "zeros" is designed to catch other "bad" collections,and does a only fair job of it,damn if I can understand the loyalty.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 09:06:14 AM »
slackjack,

No doubt we'll see you back here next time Avira lets you down ... and you feel like venting again and making pointless comments about names given for various levels of participation in this forum.  You might even understand that loyalty is largely based on having the protection from any problems that this product has afforded us in our milling hordes year in and year out. 

Until then - wishing you the best of protection from Avira. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 09:20:15 AM by alanrf »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 09:47:13 PM »
We are talking about a collection of "ones" and "zeros" not your family,religion,or country.
We're not talking about a ones and zeros...
We're here because we like to help, like the friendship of the forum, we trust the company and we share with them a part of our time. Why not being loyalty when it worths?
The best things in life are free.