Author Topic: Standard Shield in Silent mode question  (Read 4210 times)

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
Standard Shield in Silent mode question
« on: July 01, 2008, 02:23:17 PM »
Hi guys :)

Maybe a stupid question, but the options of Standard Shield in Silent mode are confusing me :-[  When you chose "Silent mode" it is by default on "With general answer No". But what does that mean ? That Avast! will silently quarantine malware with no intervention of the user ? Or it won't quarantine malware at all ? 

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Standard Shield in Silent mode question
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 02:58:57 PM »
My own feeling on this is you should use the default interactive action. This way you know exactly what is going on with your system. If you are getting so many warnings, that you want to automate this process, I believe you should review your security practice - filter emails at source, delete from server rather than download them, review the sites they visit, etc.

I have never used these settings so I'm not to familiar with them so I did a test:
If I selected Silent Mode with General answer = No doesn't alert (see Silent alert: below) and sends the file to the Chest.
With general answer = Yes, doesn't alert (see Silent alert: below) and leaves the file in that location (but it wouldn't let it execute).

Silent alert:
You don't get the big audible and visual alarm, but you do get a little notification at the bottom of the screen.

Although the avast help file is usually very helpful, in this case I think it is confusing as it doesn't explain it well, mentioning Delete with general answer = No.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 03:24:53 PM »
Hi m8, thnx for the answer :)

I use the default interactive action, don't worry ;) I just didn't understand the Silent mode options. "Silent mode : With general answer No" could be handy for users who really don't know how to respond to alerts, so it can be reviewed later :)

Greetz, Red.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 03:28:51 PM by Rednose »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 03:52:59 PM »
I just didn't understand the Silent mode options.
Left click the 'a' blue icon.
It will start On-access protection

Click on Internet Mail and then on Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and select Silent Mode and the default answer No. This will send the file (email) to Chest.
But take a look here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=28088.msg229736#msg229736

Do the same for the and Outlook/Exchange plugin.
The answer Yes in Silent Mode keeps the virus in the file or into the message (attach) and continue the scanning. You can't configure 'delete the infected file' in the Home version.

You can do the same for Standard Shield provider, but it won't be a good idea...

Silent mode in the case of the WebShield provider simply means that avast will keep pressing the "Abort connection" button for the user automatically.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 04:43:52 PM »
Thank you for the additional information and the link. I really appreciate it :)

Greetz, Red.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 05:39:15 PM »
Thank you for the additional information and the link. I really appreciate it :)
Greetz, Red.
You're welcome ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 05:44:46 PM »
Hi m8, thnx for the answer :)

I use the default interactive action, don't worry ;) I just didn't understand the Silent mode options. "Silent mode : With general answer No" could be handy for users who really don't know how to respond to alerts, so it can be reviewed later :)

You're welcome.

The problem if you set it up like that most won't go and review it later if the reason for using silent was they didn't know what to choose.
The easiest policy is leave it on interactive, the alert shocks you into action, 'always' send to the chest, that way you can investigate, google, here, etc. ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »
On second thought I think you are right and that is indeed ( still ) the best policy :)

Greetz, Red.