Author Topic: avast 4.8 home edition and RAM usage  (Read 8547 times)

crow

avast 4.8 home edition and RAM usage
« on: July 01, 2008, 11:13:08 PM »
My avast 4.8 home edition uses something around 60 MB RAM.(when not in scanning mode and using only three providers)
My question is if that is considered  a reasonable RAM consumption or not. ???
Thanking you in advance
EP
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 11:18:42 PM by crow »

YoKenny

Re: avast 4.8 home edition and RAM usage
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 11:16:06 PM »
Mine uses about 30MB RAM but then I only have the protection modules running that I need.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 11:35:52 PM »
What are the three providers ?

Don't forget there are services that will also be running in support of those providers.

Also where are you getting your figures from ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

crow

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 12:57:35 AM »
The providers are: Network, web and standard shields.
The task manager is my source for the figures.
Thanks.EP

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 01:05:48 AM »
You won't determine the real memory usage with Task Manager (or any other tool, actually).
What column were you looking at?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 01:16:07 AM »
The task manager can be somewhat inaccurate, as one of the Alwil team mentions the Mem Usage in particular, he believes the VM Size is more accurate. Edit: looks like he has paid us a visit ;D

Personally I don't worry about it too much I have much about avast, there are greater resource/RAM hogs at work, like Firefox 3.0 (which ironically is meant to be better at memory management than 2.0) at 100MB; Explorer, My Firewall, etc.

I have had my system up all day and currently avast isn't using much whilst I'm browsing.

Why aren't you using the Web Shield and Internet Mail providers, you can see from my image they don't use much ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 04:58:31 AM »
(or any other tool, actually)
Really? Can't we even estimate it, or guess approximately?
The best things in life are free.

crow

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 09:19:01 AM »
You won't determine the real memory usage with Task Manager (or any other tool, actually).
What column were you looking at?

I use the processes column, K usage.
What makes the difference is that ashweb.exe some times can reach the55MG for quiet some time without any special processes going on !!! Even if it is not a real mem.usage and it is only an estimated one, it`s still sounds like an awful lot of MB isn`t it?
Otherwise it is around 11-15MB.  What is this ashweb.exe file for?
Regards
EP
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 07:37:01 AM by crow »

crow

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 09:24:42 AM »
The task manager can be somewhat inaccurate, as one of the Alwil team mentions the Mem Usage in particular, he believes the VM Size is more accurate. Edit: looks like he has paid us a visit ;D

Personally I don't worry about it too much I have much about avast, there are greater resource/RAM hogs at work, like Firefox 3.0 (which ironically is meant to be better at memory management than 2.0) at 100MB; Explorer, My Firewall, etc.

I have had my system up all day and currently avast isn't using much whilst I'm browsing.

Why aren't you using the Web Shield and Internet Mail providers, you can see from my image they don't use much ?
I do use the web shield as I mentioned previously in this thread, I do not use the mail shield because I use web mail.
Regards
EP

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user

davidpr

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 01:37:01 PM »
I gave up checking ages ago. I went through the usual RAM usage concerns of a few AV's, trying to get the fastest, and found that the correlation between minimum RAM usage and speed was rarely the fastest. I now base my choice on how 'fast' does it feel in real life. I have to say Avast is a really good AV - probably not the best detection, probably not the fastest, probably not the quickest updates. BUT in my view it works very well on my PC's and as far as I can tell I have no infections.