Author Topic: ADNM  (Read 5471 times)

roots

ADNM
« on: November 28, 2006, 09:43:21 AM »
For all using ADNM,

Please help me, the setup is for example 100 workstation and 1 server which is the adnm server and the connection of server on internet is only dial-up,the question is can adnm update the workstation which do not have internet connection?is adnm just like the other antivirus which can updated even does not have internet connection?please advise.i'm newbie. :)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: ADNM
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 10:09:47 AM »
Hi roots, and welcome to the avast forum.

ADNM uses an updating mirror on the AMS (avast! Management Server)- so if the AMS is connected to the Internet, everything should be OK.

However, if there's only a dial-up connection it might be a slight problem as during the installation, the whole mirror (~200MB) needs to be built (i.e. downloaded from the Internet).

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

rebos

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 08:05:15 PM »
Optional Solution to solve the download duration problem you encouter there:

Use a free virtualizer like VMWare workstation/server or MS Virtual PC.
Install this virtualizer onto a notebook or workstation (capable to support the hardware requirements of your server installation)
Make sure this notebook (hence the portability) or workstation is able to connect via a DSL solution (so bring it home or any other place with broadband connection)
image your ADNM installed server and re-deploy it to the virtual environment
Synchronize the mirror (conveniently called mirror.bat, how do they come up with the simplycity  :o )
export your data directory where the mirror has been created (containing the 200MB data) or re-image the entire server from the virtual environment
import the data or restore the image to the server and from that point use the connection over modem to keep up to date

Trust me, it works this way.. you just need the goods to comply

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 09:41:05 PM »
You're right, this will work.

You can even skip the "virtual" part and simply install a phony AMS on an arbitrary machine with fast internet connection, grab the mirror and paste it to the real AMS.

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

rebos

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 06:05:28 PM »
True Vlk,

I mentioned the virtual part to cover a DRP process as well in case off..

peeaa

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 12:19:54 PM »
Hello!

Old thread but very important for me anyway...

I have AMS server with no internet connection at all and another "phony AMS" as instructed. The "phony" has no clients, the real one 25.

Questions:

1. "Grab the mirror and paste it to the real AMS". Does this mean the "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Management Tools\mirror\mirror" -folder or the "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Management Tools\mirror\" -folder? If I try to copy the upper one it complains that some files are in use.

2. Can I do the VPS updates the same way ie. copying the mirror folder by USB flash? (And the upper or lower?)

I did copy the "lower" mirror folder, but the clients still have old VPS. I am not sure now if this is because a) the clients do not update from my AMS at all or b) if simply copying the lower mirror folder is not a correct (or working) way of updating the AMS.

Thanks for your help!

peeaa