Author Topic: Why are shortcuts scanned by the Standard Shield?  (Read 13505 times)

streetwolf

Why are shortcuts scanned by the Standard Shield?
« on: July 02, 2008, 02:06:46 PM »
Running 4.8.1216 but happens on the current release too.  Vista x86 with SP1.

Example:

When I click on my Start Menu then click on All Programs then just open up an entry and just point to an executable it is scanned by the Standard Resident Shield.

All I have checked off for this shield is to scan executed programs, nothing else.  Obviously just placing my cursor over the entry does not execute it IMO.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Re: Why are shortcuts scanned by the Standard Shield?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 03:38:06 PM »
Could it be that Superfetch is preparing to pre-load the application when you hover over the the menu shortcut?
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

streetwolf

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 03:57:26 PM »
My understanding of SF is that the loading takes place when Vista is booted up.  Could be all the Start Menu programs are preloaded and avast! interprets things incorrectly, ie the program is being executed when pointing the mouse over one of these programs.  Just grasping at straws here.

If you place the pointer over an executable in Explorer no scan is done as far as I've seen.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 05:04:58 PM »
What you don't mention is what sensitivity setting you have the Standard Shield on (Normal is the default) ?

I don't see any such activity when having a rummage through the All Programs, though a) I'm not using |Vista and b) the standard shield is on Normal sensitivity.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

streetwolf

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 05:15:41 PM »
I have a customized standard shield.  Just scanning program executes on the first tab.  Not even scanning for DLL's.

This action might well indeed be Vista related.

streetwolf

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 06:01:16 PM »
Actually all I need to do is open the folder in the All Programs list and avast! will scan all the executables.  I don't need to point to anything in the folder.

I also see this with ObjectDock where I have a folder that contains shortcuts to my different programs.  It is a drop down menu and it opens slowly the first time I click on it.  Avast! is scanning for executables.  However it doesn't always do the scan after the first time.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 07:17:35 PM »
I use Rocket Dock, again no scanning, so it looks like you might be right on the Vista issue.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

streetwolf

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 07:59:08 PM »
Any folder that contains a shortcut gets scanned when you open the folder.  It's got to be Vista related.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 09:25:18 PM »
Some time ago I'm sure there was something like this where when you opened folders, exe files were opened so the icon could be extracted and displayed in windows explorer, I don't know if this could be a possible if it is checking/opening the target.

Though this doesn't happen for me and XP ???

streetwolf

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 09:54:28 PM »
Even if this is the case I am only telling avast! to scan executed programs not ones that are opened.  So either way something isn't kosher.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 12:12:05 AM »
I checked and it doesn't work like that for me (no scanning you describe occurs).
So, what exactly are your Standard Shield settings? Scan files on open - disabled, Scan created/modified - disabled?
Do you have any application installed that might "touch" the files you open from the menu (don't know, some special skinning, themes stuff... or maybe some other resident security application that might trigger the access)?

streetwolf

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 01:24:44 AM »
I checked and it doesn't work like that for me (no scanning you describe occurs).
So, what exactly are your Standard Shield settings? Scan files on open - disabled, Scan created/modified - disabled?
Do you have any application installed that might "touch" the files you open from the menu (don't know, some special skinning, themes stuff... or maybe some other resident security application that might trigger the access)?

Standard Shield has everything disabled except for the scan of executed programs and the 3 items under it.  I also have the option enabled to show details on performed actions.

I just installed the demo version of 4.8 pro on a vanilla Vista SP1 system I run under VirtualPC.  It behaved just like my 'real' machine.  The target program in folders with shortcuts are being scanned when the folder is opened. 
It seems that once a folder is opened and scanned I can open the same folder without it being scanned for a time.  Eventually it gets scanned again.

Keep in mind I am running Vista Ultimate x86 with SP1.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 01:44:14 AM by streetwolf »

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 04:33:40 AM »
It's a Vista phenomenon.
Following Streetwolf's initial post I checked the Standard Shield box "Show detailed info on performed action" on a Vista Home Basic SP1 machine to see what happens. As I clicked on each "folder" in the Start Menu, the full path of each of the shortcuts was listed in the pop-up as having been scanned by Standard Shield. XP does not behave this way even if I set the Standard Shield to scan "All Files".
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 08:19:02 AM »
I check on Vista, just not with SP1... maybe SP1 phenomenon then?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 08:24:32 AM by igor »

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 01:07:18 AM »
streetwolf,

please download the fixed driver version:
x86 binary: http://public.avast.com/~kurtin/flt_pub1/i386/aswMonFlt.sys
amd64 binary: http://public.avast.com/~kurtin/flt_pub1/amd64/aswMonFlt.sys

please let me know if it helps, thanks for your cooperation ;)