Author Topic: Boot Scan vs Standard Scan  (Read 3969 times)

Offline greyowl

Boot Scan vs Standard Scan
« on: July 03, 2008, 12:53:10 AM »
I usually do a boot scan because I reasoned that it would be the most thorough and elaborate scan available.  Is this true?

Or, does the non-boot scan do different and additional scanning that is not included in the boot scan?

I want to do the best scan that I can and do not care about the time involved.

Please advise me.

Thanks
Dell Laptop, 1.6Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, XPsp3, Avast Free, Windows Firewall

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Boot Scan vs Standard Scan
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 12:59:21 AM »
I usually do a boot scan because I reasoned that it would be the most thorough and elaborate scan available.  Is this true?
In fact, thorough scanning into Windows can scan more archive files. Although, boot time scanning can have access to all files in the system.
The best things in life are free.

Offline greyowl

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 01:18:39 AM »
Thanks Tech,

So is it best to do both a boot scan and the scan in Windows?

Happy-Dude

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 01:52:00 AM »
Yeah, I suggest both.

Boot-scan better for more stubborn, recurring-hard-to-get-rid-of malware, allowing a though cleanup. Thorough scanning allows better overlook and analysis of system.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 01:59:20 AM »
<snip>
So is it best to do both a boot scan and the scan in Windows?

Personally I would only do a boot-time scan if there was a detection that couldn't de dealt with whilst windows was running, a) virus in memory, file in use, etc.

With the different levels of protection (Web Shield, Internet Mail, P2P and Instant Messaging) and the fall back of the Standard Shield, I find the need for on-demand scans is lessened. I prefer to do a manual scan with my regular weekly maintenance tasks.

I also don't do thorough scans as a routine, in fact I have only ever done a Through Scan with Archives once shortly after installation just to ensure a clean start state.

Archive (zip, rar, etc.) files are by their nature are inert, you need to extract the files and then you have to run them to be a threat. Long before that happens avast's Standard Shield should have scanned them and before an executable is run that is scanned. Thorough is also by its design very thorough and perhaps a little overkill for routine use, were a Standard scan without archives should be adequate.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline greyowl

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 02:14:47 AM »
Thanks, David.

This is very helpful.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 02:00:35 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security