Author Topic: Some advice regarding Trojans please.  (Read 3017 times)

shortwave

Some advice regarding Trojans please.
« on: July 03, 2008, 07:49:29 PM »
Whilst running Spybot today it suddenly stopped and Avast! popped up to say it had found a virus (Trojan). This surprised me at first, but then I guessed that is monitoring other processes and intervened when Spybot tried to examine a file. I selected "Move to Virus Chest" and then it straight away found another one. I moved that as well. Spybot didn't want to continue, so I shut it down and then ran it again - no problems found.  I then ran a thorough scan with Avast! and again nothing else found.

The two files were both in the C:\Documents & Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp folder and the only details are "Win32: Trojan-gen {Other}". Both are file size 60928.  I have been downloading quite a lot of video clips and jpeg's lately, but I always put them in a dedicated folder and scan them first.  I may have missed one though. I did recently get one of the pop-up's warning me I might be infected and asking me to download a "fix". As the various flashing boxes were rather contradictory I killed Firefox with Task Manager, rather than click the wrong one.  There are no unusual processes running since this happened.

So my questions are: Does any of this make sense?  Should I leave the files in the Chest for a few weeks and if no apparent problems delete them?  Or should I forward them for further analysis?
Running XP2 Home, Avast! 4.8.1201, Spybot 1.5.2, & Adaware 2007. 
Any advice would be most welcome.

Regards.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Some advice regarding Trojans please.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 08:41:21 PM »
Win32: Trojan-gen {Other} could be false positives.
Can you extract them from Chest to a safe folder and send to www.virustotal.com for analysis?
The best things in life are free.

shortwave

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 09:21:25 PM »
I hope this is what you are looking for:

MD5:     aaaf28a090437dfcda65a80bc013ef9e
First received:    06.23.2008 10:53:01 (CET)
Date:    06.25.2008 00:01:19 (CET) [>8D]
Results:    9/33
Permalink:    analisis/ae5b8e6b1ff485f1aac71c724772d0d4

I did this which each of the two files, but the result was identical.

Regards.

kbsconcept

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 09:51:14 PM »
hi tech, i'm a newbie to the forums (been using avast for a year). 

1) i've gotten the same "Win32: Trojan-gen {Other}"  and came to the avast website to find more info about it, but there are only specific viruses under the virus menu.  how do i know which one i have given "Win32: Trojan-gen {Other}" ?

2) i found this topic when searching the forums and read your reply to shortwave.  could you please tell me what a safe folder is, and how to create one so i can upload to virustotal?

also, i hope i'm not encroaching on shortwave's post.  should i have started my own post instead?

thanks for any help in advance :)

shortwave

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 09:55:05 PM »
The second post here gives the procedure I followed: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=36608.0

shortwave

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 05:26:42 PM »
Was the information I posted any use?  Everything seems to be running fine at the moment.

Regards.