Author Topic: Avast Globe spinning but "Windows did not find antivirus software..."  (Read 5866 times)

webdad

Vista Home Premium
Avast Home 4.8

The Vista red "X" shield is coming up and saying antivirus software is not installed on this computer.

Avast appears to be running as far as I can tell, and has been running for months.  I don't typically use this computer and when I came back to it today, I see the red "X" shield and the message.

Any ideas?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
This would appear to be a problem with the Vista Security Center, in the same way there was a similar problem with XP's Windows Security Center.

WSC doesn't detect avast! - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/topics/help/wmi.mspx#EQKAC.  I don't know if this article has been updated to reflect Vista.

Windows XP SP2, Start, Run, type cmd and click OK from the command prompt type 'rundll32 wbemupgd, RepairWMISetup' without the quotes and enter.

This is another solution that works with WinXP, I don't know if the folder structure and services name (winmgmt) is the same.

* Click Start, Run and type CMD.EXE

* Type this command and press Enter:

net stop winmgmt

* Using Windows Explorer, rename the folder %windir%\System32\Wbem\Repository. (For example, %windir%\System32\Wbem\Repository_bad.). %windir% represents the path to the Windows directory, which is typically C:\Windows.

* Switch to Command Prompt window, and type the following and press ENTER after each line:

net start winmgmt

EXIT
Reboot
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The best things in life are free.