Author Topic: P2P supported programs in Avast  (Read 3211 times)

Chaos19

P2P supported programs in Avast
« on: July 04, 2008, 01:36:58 AM »
i noticed that in the list of supported IM and P2P in Avast antivirus free well it doesn't have the P2P Utorrent? would Avast be able and will implement this P2P?

BTW the list that is in the paid version is the same in the free version right?

btw a bit off the topic will 4.9 come soon or will 5.0 come next?

as well will avast free soon have a heuric feature and a proactive feature? to be able to stand with other antivirus as its becoming something standard?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: P2P supported programs in Avast
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 02:12:55 AM »
It does have uTorrent support, see image.

The uTorrent option in the P2P shield is unchecked by design because of the way utorrent works.
Quote from: Vlk
This is by design. Basically, µTorrent scanning in avast is suboptimal and we decided to turn it off by default (this applies to both Normal and High sensitivity levels). To be more specific, if µTorrent scanning is on, and you're using uTorrent to download large files, ashServ.exe will hog your CPU. This is because uTorrent closes/reopens the target file after transmitting every chunk, forcing avast to keep rescanning it periodically.

There is no roadmap for 4.9 to follow 4.8 it could just as easilly go to 5.0, personally I don't even worry about stuff like this, I will take whatever program update follows, be that 4.8 and later builds, 4.9 or 5.0.

It has been stated that avast wont use heuristics as such but with improve the existing generic signature detections, but 5.0 is likely to have a behaviour style element.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 05:13:48 PM »
BTW the list that is in the paid version is the same in the free version right?

Yes, that is correct.
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 08:19:38 PM »
IM and P2P providers can be more configurated in Pro version.
Automated actions AND the packers that will be scanned.
The best things in life are free.