Author Topic: AVG Version 8 - Wots UP?  (Read 18452 times)

SBSP

AVG Version 8 - Wots UP?
« on: July 04, 2008, 03:02:25 PM »
This is not a stunt but I think this is worth a read as members are being recommended to dump AVG 8 for Avast.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1006623

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: AVG Version 8 - Wots UP?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 07:55:48 PM »
The old LinkScanner problem... thanks for reporting again.
A bad step of Grisoft... Move to Finjan, Scandoo, SiteAdvisor... and, of course, avast ;)
The best things in life are free.

SBSP

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 12:43:26 AM »
Thanks for the advice.

AVG will be removed today before I get hit with the Ver 8 update.

ardvark

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 09:35:50 AM »
Hi...

Wow! :o

I didn't realize Linkscanner was having that kind of effect. ::)  Although from what I've heard, the new service pack is supposed to fix some of the problems...

http://www.lockergnome.com/blade/2008/07/04/avg-8-has-released-sp1-for-download/

I don't know if it addresses the issues with Linkscanner. Also, AVG 7.5 is supposed to be supported up to 12-31-08, so those who liked 7.5 won't have to upgrade too soon....hopefully. :-\

Best Regards...

SBSP

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 09:37:31 AM »
QUOTE from Lloyd Borrett today 10:17am AEST

G'day,

We've received the following communication from AVG Technologies HQ about the LinkScanner concerns expressed here on Whirlpool and elsewhere.

######

AVG has recently been made aware of the increased web traffic that the new Search-Shield component of our AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.0 product is causing in an attempt to notify users about infected websites. We have actively listened to the web masters who have brought this to our attention, and as a company we have reacted quickly to solve them.

In working with the web master community, AVG has responded immediately and on Tuesday, July 9th, AVG will issue a product modification to address the spikes that a few individuals have seen with their web traffic.

We have modified the Search-Shield component of the product to only notify users of malicious sites. Search-Shield no longer scans each search result online for new exploits, which was causing the spikes that web masters addressed with us. However, it is important to note that AVG still offers full protection against potential exploits through the Active Surf-Shield component of our product, which checks every page for malicious content as it is visited, but before it is opened.

We’d like to thank our web community for bringing these challenges to our attention, as building community trust and protecting all of our users is critical to us.

AVG’s primary concern is protecting our customers. In order to do this, we have actively provided our customers with cutting edge technology. There are 20,000 to 30,000 unique pieces of malware being submitted to anti-virus labs around the world each day, and the vast majority of these will be delivered via web based exploit and social engineering tricks from hacked and rogue websites.

Nearly all of these pieces of malware are designed to steal financial and personal information from victims. In order to protect our customers, and the world in general, we released technology in our free product that is designed to discover and block these sites. As a result of this, we included real-time, dynamic scanning in our free product that we recently released to customers.

Because of the unique nature of our technology – we scan web links before our customers open them to ensure they are safe – we anticipated that we would see a spike in the number of sites that were analysed, however, we underestimated the popularity of our product and the resulting number of verdicts that came back to us. As a result, we did not anticipate seeing the volumes we have seen in two months for another 24-36 months.

Today we are rendering over 1 billion verdicts per week that result in the identification of 1 infected URL per 43 searches which equates to rendering a red verdict to 1 in every nine 9 users. While this has affected web traffic analysis and marketing analytics on a handful of sites, we are dedicated to protecting our users with the best technology on the market today while at the same time not being disruptive.

###ENDS###

We will be doing our very best to keep you all fully informed about any specifics of the roll out of the modifications as we learn more.

Best Regards, Lloyd Borrett
Marketing Manager, AVG (AU/NZ)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 10:05:25 PM »
We have modified the Search-Shield component of the product to only notify users of malicious sites. Search-Shield no longer scans each search result online for new exploits, which was causing the spikes that web masters addressed with us.

I must say I'd like to know what exactly that means ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 10:21:20 PM »
Search-Shield no longer scans each search result online for new exploits.
Good point Igor. How can it knows before scanning? A black list? ???

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 10:22:15 PM »
I think it means that it no longer scans all 10-20 links on a search results page, but only any link that is actually clicked.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 10:31:20 PM »
I think it means that it no longer scans all 10-20 links on a search results page, but only any link that is actually clicked.
When? When the user already clicked it? ???

drhayden1

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 12:11:35 AM »
i tried AVG on one of my computers and it installed the safe search in my firefox 3 without asking me or saying it was going too....so guess what...was just trying out AVG and guess what's back on that computer ::) ??? :)
and why do i need it-when there is WOT and Finjan in the first place
click pic to enlarge-avg is 2nd down :o
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 12:17:07 AM by drhayden1 »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 12:42:16 AM »
When? When the user already clicked it? ???

Yeah, the scanner intercepts the click and does a crafty scan before the page is loaded.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 12:59:12 AM »
before the page is loaded.
Better late than never ;D

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 01:02:26 AM »
was just trying out AVG and guess what's back on that computer
Also know as a temporary lapse of memory.....
Nice to see you got your memory and avast! back on your system... ;D ;D
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 01:03:04 AM »
Erm, so, it basically turns the LinkScanner into a HTTP scanner with limited functionality (i.e. without stream scanning, and only on websearch results)?

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 01:04:37 AM »
Don't ask me, I don't work for AVG!