Poll

Does any-1 else think m.s. purposley infects their updates?

yes
0 (0%)
no
14 (73.7%)
am i CraZEe
1 (5.3%)
or just paranoid
4 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Microsoft infects  (Read 13108 times)

Max M.Wachtel III

Re:Microsoft infects
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2004, 02:16:26 AM »
I think that they hurry writing code and it is the users who pay the price -new exploit for IE6 yesterday see:
http://www.net-security.org/advisory.php?id=3184

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2004, 04:23:11 AM »
Quality of Macintosh is great (GREAT) and unbelievable, but the price is also something to talk about... hey Mac guys, lower those prices a little bit... well, a little bit more

Actually that may happen in the NEAR future. Apple has always had it tough and needed to price the hardware that high to keep alive. But now that the iPOD and iTUNES are a big success I can really see the price on the iMac and eMac models coming down to near PC prices.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 04:23:24 AM by MacLover2000 »
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

LordDragonDan

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2004, 12:02:05 AM »
MS has nothing to gain from viruses (unless they can find someway to infect linux and mac). Though they are great at marketing I think they are just plain incompetent when it comes to security. Alwil makes AV mainly for servers and has a lot to gain from keeping the internet virus free. Nortons and McAffee have much to gain from virus outbreaks because their core business is home users who often only buy their products once there has been an outbreak. Think about it?

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2004, 03:02:07 AM »
(unless they can find someway to infect linux and mac).
Not likely to happen. Linux is a very well build rock solid OS. Only MAc OS X Can out Preform it. (and Mac OS X Is build off of UNIX)
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2004, 06:52:51 AM »

LordDragonDan

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2004, 07:25:47 AM »
Unix has been very secure. Mac and Linux is based on it. Though Linux is open source and all its code is out there for any one to look at. I simply stated that IF they could find a way to infect them. It would take some of the heat off MS. But I don't think it will be an easy job. Besides I don't think anyone at MS knows enough about security to write a virus.  :)

And yes that last sentence was a serious statement. Just look at their record so far!

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2004, 06:23:19 PM »
Unix has been very secure.
And not to mention is VERY Stable! These two reasons are exactly whay jobbs wanted to use UNIX as the Base for OS X.

(Note Mac OS 9.2.2 and previous are NOT Based on UNIX)

LordDragonDan

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2004, 07:31:30 PM »
My mistake. I thought previous versions of Mac OS were based on Unix. Guess my ignorance is showing again. :)

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2004, 11:11:35 PM »
No, eariler versions of Mac OS were based on Guess what..... Eariler Versions of mac OS. So each one improved on the other and it was a very good OS.

EX. OS 7 was built from os 6. OS 8 was made from OS 7 and so on.

Jobbs saw the oppuritunity to blow microsoft out of the water with an OS based on UNIX. and he succeded.  the so called LONGHORN project of microsoft is to try and match the features of OS X. So the windows vs mac war continues.