Author Topic: Transfering updated virus database  (Read 4190 times)

Ant_222

Transfering updated virus database
« on: July 05, 2008, 11:41:52 PM »
Hi all!

I have installed avast on a PC without direct access to interenet. Is it possible to keep it updated, say by copying certrain files from an updated avast installed on another PC?

Anton

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Transfering updated virus database
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 12:01:33 AM »
You need to download and run http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/vpsupd.exe
To update the program itself, you need to download and run the setup file again.
The best things in life are free.

Ant_222

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 10:32:49 AM »
All right, thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 03:19:25 PM »
All right, thanks!
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help or just to change experiences 8)

Ant_222

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 03:28:11 PM »
Thanks for the warm reception!

... So it appears that with this vpsupdate package it's impossible to perform incremental updates of the database on an isolated machine?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 03:38:34 PM »
So it appears that with this vpsupdate package it's impossible to perform incremental updates of the database on an isolated machine?
Yes... that's it. You need a full download of the virus database (vpsupd.exe). They do not release incremental updates off-line, they're only present, the incremental updates, in the on-line installation.

Ant_222

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 03:41:45 PM »
Well, that's a pity. At least, I can use it for the initial post-install update on a computer with a slow dial-up connection, so not to wait two hours for it to download it from the internet...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 03:47:10 PM »
Well, that's a pity. At least, I can use it for the initial post-install update on a computer with a slow dial-up connection, so not to wait two hours for it to download it from the internet...
Maybe a montly update... an off-line computer is quite secure... just take care of programs installed there and USB drives that you plug there.

Ant_222

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 03:48:36 PM »
Easier said than done — take care ;)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 05:12:46 PM »

So rather than not having a connection it would appear that it has a slow dial-up connection (highlight in the quote) ?

I use dial-up and the normal automated VPS is not a problem and two hours for the vpsupd.exe seems excessive, 15.9MB would take my connection about an hour. So you must have a real slow dial-up connection.

So even with a slow dial-up connection I would suggest a manual update of the VPS (iAVS Update) as that would only download the difference between the VPS version in the installation and the current version. This would be well less than the 15.9MB of the vpsupd.exe download.

If left on auto update, the incremental updates are measured in KBs rather than MBs if you don't leave too much time between updates. Even weekly or monthly wouldn't be anywhere close to the 15.9MB of the full vpsupd.exe download.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Ant_222

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 05:24:40 PM »
I have both a PC with a slow dial-up and an isolated PC.

As to automatic updates, I do agree with you, it's just that the very first update takes quite long via dial-up (it is much slower than the modem's capacity).

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 06:17:58 PM »
OK, I thought I was badly off on dial-up, but fortunately I am able to connect at 50-52 Kbps most of the time, giving about 3.5-4 minutes per 1MB of download.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security