Author Topic: System recovered from serious error?  (Read 2855 times)

BNG

System recovered from serious error?
« on: July 07, 2008, 01:09:53 AM »

Don't really know what it means, but been having quite a lot of problems with Avast since I upgraded my computers hard drive from a 40 gig unit to a much larger 320 gig unit. Should I try uninstalling Avast and then reinstall it again? Never really had any problems with Avast until the drive upgrade; I'm now running XP Home from a disk copy made using a free product called HDCLONE. Also used another product called EASEUS partitioning software to resize the drive from the original 40 gig copy to 280 gig. XP boots okay, but Avast seems to crash a lot since the changes occurred. Any feedback/suggestions folks? BNG in Texas.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: System recovered from serious error?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 02:11:28 AM »
If you switched HDDs I would say it would be advisable to reinstall.

Uninstall, reboot, install, reboot.

It would probably be best to first Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

BNG

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 10:25:53 PM »
Unfortunately, my system did not come with a recovery CD customarily provided by the computer manufacturer called Wintergreen Systems. XP home came preinstalled on the unit, so reinstalling XP does not appear to be an option I can use. Avast appears to start just fine and then seems at a later point in the event viewer log to terminate unexpectedly. The event ID is 7034 if that info means anything to you tech guys, but I don't really have a clue? BNG.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 11:19:57 PM »
We are talking about reinstalling avast and not windows.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 12:29:06 AM »
If you copy the entire partition and resize it, avast should work.
Sometimes, you need to enter your registration key again.
But you can try an installation from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the latest avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

BNG

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 09:49:21 PM »
What about using the repair (add and remove programs) option to fix any file corruption errors in Avast? I suspect part of the problem occurred when existing files were moved from one drive to the other associated information on the original drive (Avast) may still be referring/looking for information on the original drive that is no longer valid. The Avast web scanner is still terminating unexpectedly after successfully entering into operation. I also updated XP Home to the latest service pack 3 without problems as well.