Author Topic: Vista Forum advices NOT to use Avant!  (Read 12539 times)

jolo

Vista Forum advices NOT to use Avant!
« on: July 07, 2008, 11:15:33 AM »
 ::)I have used Avast! home for at least 2 years, both on my XP system and my upgraded PC with Vista Ultra 64bit (and new MB).
I have been using it for  quite a while with Vista Ultra 64 personally.
I have found it to be the most reliable anti-virus product I have ever used in the 15 plus years I have been in IT. This is my home PC and avant! is the first one I haven't had to pay for, yet is the most reliable (in my experience).
Before I make a comment back to the "senior member" and the "Administrator" of the Vista 64 Forum http://www.vistax64.com/
I would like to get some solid information.
I think the Administrator gave incorrect information and advice. PLEASE help me respond.
Here is the question from a "Senior member of the Vista forum"
"Hello everyone,
A silly question. Is it ok to let Avast scan my internet mails ? Should I terminate that ?

Reply from the Administrator:
If your using Windows Mail, then I would terminate that one. Windows Mail is very sensitive to 3rd party programs poking around in it and can cause the stuck message problem. You will still be protected by Avast's other shields from viruses.
Hope this helps,

I certainly don't think there was any bad intent in the answer and I would like to help other members of the forum out and let them know the effectiveness of Avant!.
Here is the exact address of the thread. Probably one would have to join the forum to see it (or certainly to reply to it).
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-mail/166191-avast-internet-mails.html

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jon

Hard_ROCKER

Re: Vista Forum advices NOT to use Avant!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 11:15:10 AM »
I replied there ...

Mike Buxton

Re: Vista Forum advises NOT to use Avast for email scanning
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 02:30:33 PM »
The advice to disable email scanning has, I think, been widely suggested for all email and all AV programs.

See a justification, for example, at  http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tutorials/email-scanning/index.htm

Perhaps an interesting debate will take place here?

My regards

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 05:30:27 PM »
I can't believe someone calls himself a technician and wiser asking to disable antivirus scanning...
You need to set Standard Shield to High to substitute the provider but the better balance into performance and protection is Normal level. So the user loses performance to have the same protection.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Vista Forum advices NOT to use avast! Internet Mail
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 06:11:18 PM »
I thing the Original poster needs to change the Topic Title as Avant is a browser and avast! as we all know is an anti-virus ;D

As darth_mikey said in the other topic.

There are times when Experts say the strangest things without fully understanding the product they are advising on, ex (the unknown factor) spurt (a drip under pressure) ;D

The whole idea of the email scanner is to intercept infected emails before they get on your system, where the removal of them is a) more difficult and b) could end up corrupting or deleting your mail box file rather than just an infected email with the potential loss of many emails.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dmex

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 08:39:18 PM »
Howdy Guys,

Its strange how the posts have been taken out of context, for starters they allow the members to set there own custom tag line. I have set mine as ʛٯᴙᵁ while t-4-2 has set his one as "Senior Member" he is not necessarily a senior member nor am I possibly a guru ;)

Shawn (Brink) the Administrator was giving a generic response about 3rd party plugins and how they "might" cause problems, he advised him that turning off e-mail scanning will still protect his computer from malicious code via resident scanning protection and the others provided by Avast..

I dont think Shawn did give "incorrect information and advice" unless Avast does not protect your computer from malicious software after switching off e-mail scanning...I was also under the impression turning off email scanning would not be a problem because resident protection would pickup the same malicious code as e-mail scanning when its launched?

Does Avast use a different definition file for scanning e-mails compared with resident protection and should I turn it back on or does turning off e-mail scanning still protect my computer via resident protection?

I also dont see anywhere where they advise not to use Avast?

« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 09:23:53 PM by dmex »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 09:42:45 PM »
That is the key word how they 'might' cause problems, which jolo would never know if he don't try.

There are many forum members who do use the avast email scanner with Windows Mail with no problems, certainly none that I have seen in these forums. If it were a problem I would expect to see multiple topics reporting a problem.

Whilst the standard shield is another line of defence it is better to prevent an infected email getting on the system if possible, rather than try to extract an infected email from a mail folder database file.

The email scanners scans the inbound email in a localhost proxy and if an infected email is found it can be discarded or moved to the chest before it get to your inbox or other folder if a user has filters in action.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

z3r010

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 10:15:50 PM »
If jolo had actually been bothered to read around our site, he would have found that Avast is our No1 recommendation for an antivirus product.

z3r010 - Admin
Vistax64.com

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 11:18:46 PM »
It would be nice if he actually joined us here too, instead of light the blue touch paper and retire ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 12:50:53 AM »
I dont think Shawn did give "incorrect information and advice" unless Avast does not protect your computer from malicious software after switching off e-mail scanning...I was also under the impression turning off email scanning would not be a problem because resident protection would pickup the same malicious code as e-mail scanning when its launched?
If the Standard Shield sensibility is at High. Which is not the default. avast has providers and a very huge configurability and flexibility. People need to know the product very well to make suggestions.

Does Avast use a different definition file for scanning e-mails compared with resident protection and should I turn it back on or does turning off e-mail scanning still protect my computer via resident protection?
Set your Standard Shield accordingly. But you'll lose performance doing so. The email scanner does its specific job at lower cost (resources used).

dmex

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 01:28:34 AM »
If the Standard Shield sensibility is at High. Which is not the default. avast has providers and a very huge configurability and flexibility. People need to know the product very well to make suggestions.

Cheers ;D Ill play around with it when I have some free time, Im sure If brink had time for Avast he could make better recommendations about its use too ;)
Shawn (Brink) the Administrator was giving a generic response about 3rd party plugins and how they "might" cause problems

S.BrinK

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 02:02:58 AM »
Hello Everyone,

Brink here from http://www.vistax64.com/

Avast is my number one recommendation for a antivirus program as you can see in the FIRST section in the link below and many others. It is the one I personally use.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/62560-windows-mail-problems.html

As you and many people out there may know that Windows Mail is very sensitive to any 3rd party programs that scan the email in it. Just read the microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail newsgroup. For some people they will never have a problem, but for others it causes the stuck message problem or worse. Sometimes you will be fine for a good while and then the problem will just occur when the antivirus program tries to block a message when it may have worked fine before.

This has nothing to do with Avast in particular since the usual culprits were Norton and McAfee. Even they seem to be getting the bugs worked out in their newer versions. I have not head of problems like this with any other email program though. That is why I recommended to turn off the email scanning option in Avast to be on the safe side and prevent the problem from happening if the person was using Windows Mail. Email scanning is a great feature but it is redundant. Since Avast will still protect you with the other Shields if enabled, it does not justify the risk of having problems if your using Windows Mail IMO.

I'm afraid that I do not know why Avant was mentioned in the post below by Jolo unless it was a typo for Avast.

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-mail/166191-avast-internet-mails.html

Brink,
Admin Vista Forums
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 02:08:15 AM by S.BrinK »

robertmiles

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 02:54:42 AM »
I don't see what Avant has to do with the problems email scanning occasionally causes in Windows Mail.

In most antivirus programs that scan email, any problems caused in Windows Mail are rather slow to appear, often taking months for any problems to become visible.  Therefore, just one person's experience with a certain antivirus program using email scanning without problems isn't enough to prove anything.

At least avast! allows you to use a custom install where you tell it to leave out the parts that scan email.  Therefore, I often recommend the use choose either avast or one other antivirus program that allows such a custom install for Windows Mail users who have to abandon a Norton, McAfee, or Trend antivirus program due to the problems they cause in Windows Mail.  A few other people at
<http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail> do this also for the same reason.

Anyone wanting to test this might need to use an email server with a significantly higher percentage of messages containing viruses than usual, since I've seen some people report that the problems are most likely to show up when an antivirus program scanning email decides that the email message must be blocked or at least takes longer than usual to decide this.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 05:43:44 AM »
Interesting discussion!

Email scanning is a great feature but it is redundant. Since Avast will still protect you with the other Shields if enabled, it does not justify the risk of having problems if your using Windows Mail IMO.

Brink,
Admin Vista Forums

Not completely redundant because avast! uses different techniques (e.g. heuristic analysis) for scanning email than it does with the Standard Shield. Having said that, Windows Mail is a special case because messages are stored as individual files rather than one big compressed file meaning that an on-demand scanner should only quarantine/delete the infected message leaving the other intact, so turning off email scanning is less of an issue.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 04:51:10 PM »
Brink, welcome aboard... Sorry for my bitter earlier post. I'd rather ask to the few users with problems that come here in forum and get help to have Windows Mail working with avast than disabling the email scanning. I've used Windows Mail for almost one year and no problems or bad interactions with avast.

I think avant is a typo in the first post.

Oh, I agree with Vladimyr.