Author Topic: How does VRDB works?  (Read 7627 times)

rassel

How does VRDB works?
« on: July 02, 2008, 11:05:31 AM »
I never use before this function as i doesn't know what it do. Can anyone explain what does the VRDB work for? I just tried it but noting different. Is better if tell me in short answer on how does this work.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: How does VRDB works?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 09:40:56 PM »
It stores the necessary info to restore executables (*.exe, *.com) files.
VRDB is not a backup system, the stored information is very small (not the whole files).
Besides, only Win32 executables are processed.
The VRDB data are stored in <avast>\Data\Integ\avast.int
So it's not a backup utility, but a restore feature of avast.
The best things in life are free.

rassel

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 11:11:50 AM »
Sorry still not really understand. Is too complicated. Do you mean that it just restore/backup avast files?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 08:32:39 PM »
Do you mean that it just restore/backup avast files?
No, all executable files.
VRDB stores file parts that are often target of virus infections. So, it is capable of fixing even some brand new virus infections. Actually, VRDB scans all the local hard disks for executable files and stores some info about them. When you click 'repair' button into the virus warning, these files could be repaired.

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 11:15:34 PM »
I never use before this function as i doesn't know what it do. Can anyone explain what does the VRDB work for? I just tried it but noting different. Is better if tell me in short answer on how does this work.

In simplest terms, as I explained it to my friend (Who actually got me hooked on avast!):
The VPS Virus Database is for Prevention & Protection BEFORE Malware makes it into your computer.

The VRDB (Virus Recovery Database) is for helping Repair Files AFTER they've been Infected.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 12:02:27 AM »
Repair Files
Only executable ones (.exe, .com) and only a few infections can be repaired.
VRDB is far from being a panaceia.

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 12:33:10 AM »
Repair Files
Only executable ones (.exe, .com) and only a few infections can be repaired.
VRDB is far from being a panaceia.

Thanks for that clarification, Tech.  I only knew in THEORY what it was for, but I never really knew to what degree and / or what level of success the VRDB had.  Now I know.

I didn't mean to mislead with my simplistic answer.  It's just that the key was that the Poster politely requested a "short" answer.  So, my approach was to establish the scenario of there being 2 states of a computer: Virus Free ... vs. Infected, even if by ONE element of Malware.  And therefore, I wanted to convey in the quickest, simplest manner that the VRDB was utilized for File Repair purposes AFTER Malware has infiltrated a computer.  This vs. the VPS being utilized in Real Time Scanning and Manual Scans.

But, again, Tech, thanks for making me aware that I shouldn't expect miracles and Guaranteed File Repairs courtesy of the VRDB.   ;D
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

rassel

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 10:54:17 AM »
Do you mean that it just restore/backup avast files?
No, all executable files.
VRDB stores file parts that are often target of virus infections. So, it is capable of fixing even some brand new virus infections. Actually, VRDB scans all the local hard disks for executable files and stores some info about them. When you click 'repair' button into the virus warning, these files could be repaired.
When you click 'repair' button into the virus warning, these files could be repaired.

Thanks. Now i understand and just got infected by IE anti-virus. Trying to remove it now.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 02:27:16 PM »
just got infected by IE anti-virus. Trying to remove it now.
RogueRemover is a utility that can remove various rogue antispyware, antivirus and hard drive cleaning utilities. Rogue applications are applications that rather than remove spyware, provide false positives, distribute malware or spyware, advertise, or provide useless uninstallers. The main point is that rogue applications are useless and eat up system resources.

Check http://www.malwarebytes.org/rogueremover.php

rassel

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 06:41:41 AM »
Thanks for that and just removed it yesterday.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 02:44:36 PM »
Don't trust (and install) everything you're presented in Internet ;)

rassel

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 10:41:46 AM »
Don't trust (and install) everything you're presented in Internet ;)

No I didn't. It install the virus to my system by its own.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 04:43:01 PM »
No I didn't. It install the virus to my system by its own.
Don't browse in the nude ;)
Maybe you can use www.k9webprotection.com and avoid some categories of web pages to be loaded in your computer.

rassel

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 11:19:11 AM »
Thanks Tech. Downloading the software now...