Author Topic: Newby needs help, not enough space on disk to move to chest  (Read 7310 times)

HeidiF

Hello~
I just purchased the 4 Professional Edition and am running it on my hard drive for the first time.
I've been having problems with my Microsoft Outlook for weeks now.
Avast first found a virus in the start up, which I put in the chest & then I rebooted as recommended.
Avast then found a couple more which I put in the chest...no problem.
When it came to my Microsoft Outlook, it found Win32:Bugbear-B.
When I tried to move it to the chest, a window came up that said there was not enough space on the disk.
It recommended repairing.  When I hit the repair button, it said that it could not do so.
Now, I'm back at the Virus found screen.
Should I delete it?
Newby needs help.
-Heidi

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Newby needs help, not enough space on disk to move to chest
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 10:12:18 PM »
There is an avast Chest limit (you can check its size into Program Settings > Chest) and a file size limit into Chest.
Generally, repair is for executable files in your computer. You generally can't repair an email.
If a virus is replicant, I suggest:

1. Disable System Restore and reenable it after step 3.
2. Clean your temporary files.
3. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on. If avast does not detect it, you can try DrWeb CureIT! instead.
4. Use SUPERantispyware, MBAM or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.
5. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
6. Make a HijackThis log to post here or, better, submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
7. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster or Windows Advanced Care.
8. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.
The best things in life are free.

gajrey24

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 10:36:30 PM »
I have a similar problem. Avast found bugbear-B but could not send it to the chest. I installed Avast's free Virus cleaner, but after using this Avast still found and could not deal with bugbear-B.

What do I do?? :-X

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 11:08:21 PM »
gajrey24, please, do not post twice the same... just double the effort of help... Follow:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=40827.msg342290#msg342290
The best things in life are free.