Author Topic: XP Keyboard Lockout on Boot  (Read 5475 times)

Zimmer

XP Keyboard Lockout on Boot
« on: March 18, 2004, 06:47:21 PM »
Hello All

I have XP Pro and have just updated Avast (it had run out of registration 4 months ago (I know I know). Upadated with new install of Ver 4 and on startup detcetd  trojan Mydoom. Problem is now that on reboot it goes into Avast scan which cannot be cancelled as Keyboard and mouse are locked out. Cannot select boot mode form menu as keyboard etc lock out. Keyboardand mouse work ok when going into BIOS (Numlock key etc work at first etc). Is the only way out a re-install?

Machine Athlon2400, 256Mb RAM XP Pro

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:XP Keyboard Lockout on Boot
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 07:01:29 PM »
Hello All

I have XP Pro and have just updated Avast (it had run out of registration 4 months ago (I know I know). Upadated with new install of Ver 4 and on startup detcetd  trojan Mydoom. Problem is now that on reboot it goes into Avast scan which cannot be cancelled as Keyboard and mouse are locked out. Cannot select boot mode form menu as keyboard etc lock out. Keyboardand mouse work ok when going into BIOS (Numlock key etc work at first etc). Is the only way out a re-install?

Machine Athlon2400, 256Mb RAM XP Pro

I'm not a virus expert and don't know all the bad things done by Mydoom.
Probably this has a solution if you try to find in the web for 'Mydoom' (Google search).

Do you use a USB keyboard?
Can you finish that avast! scanning or some windows appear asking for your action and a keyboard click...?
The best things in life are free.

Zimmer

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 09:53:15 PM »
Got it on the nail - the keyboard is usb - replaced it with a ps2 one and was able to break in and get the machine to work.  Avats was not the problem more my stupidity - thanks forthe pointer

Cheers m8

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 09:56:35 PM »
Got it on the nail - the keyboard is usb - replaced it with a ps2 one and was able to break in and get the machine to work.  Avats was not the problem more my stupidity - thanks forthe pointer

Cheers m8

Hy Zimmer... Wellcome back. Glad with your working system!
avast! (or any other application) won't work (if they need user interaction) before the load of the keyboard USB drivers.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

SRS

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 12:08:56 AM »
this may be wrong but did you enable the usb keyboard setting in the bios. consult your manual, the setting should be somewhere in the bios.

cheri_cat1

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 01:29:52 AM »
but what if your computer doesnt have a ps2 port? mine is a gateway with all usb ports, doesnt even have a printer port
what do i do?
it found the blaster virus upon boot and wants a keyimput but i cant access my keyboard! Help im locked out of my system