Author Topic: Avast for Mac - Home ed?  (Read 13701 times)

Owainj

Avast for Mac - Home ed?
« on: July 10, 2008, 01:43:33 AM »
Hi there, I recently installed Avast for mac (trial) but everything except for the preferences was greyed out so I can't actually scan anything.. Do I need to register or something to be able to use it?? Also is the download free?? I can't find anywhere on the site that says one way or the other whether mac users can have a free copy like windows do with home edition - I checked wikepedia and they say there should be a free edition. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_antivirus_software)

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: Avast for Mac - Home ed?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 03:26:27 AM »
The Mac Version is Fully functional for 60 days after that you must pay to register. There is no free Home Edition.

What version of the Mac OS are you using? Avast for Mac requires Mac OS 10.4 or 10.5 and is not supported on 10.3 or earlier.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 01:21:42 PM »
Hi there, I recently installed Avast for mac (trial) but everything except for the preferences was greyed out so I can't actually scan anything.. Do I need to register or something to be able to use it?? Also is the download free?? I can't find anywhere on the site that says one way or the other whether mac users can have a free copy like windows do with home edition - I checked wikepedia and they say there should be a free edition. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_antivirus_software)

Hallo,
normally, the scan buttons are greyed ONLY when there's an already running scan or when the window with results is open. Thus, I think that pressing "Close Scan" will shrink the list and your buttons will be enabled :).

Otherwise it might be an unknown problem, but then, we need further info (= screenshot, use Apple+Shift+4 keystroke, then drag an area - result will be stored as Picture_XXX.png on your desktop.)

regards,
PC
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

Owainj

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 10:40:50 PM »
Thanks for that, I've sorted that problem now - it was that a scan was running but there was no status circle-ma-thingy.... erm... status circle? Whatever you call it.

Why is there no free mac version as there is a freeware Windows version? It doesn't make sense to leave the Mac market out?

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 03:20:01 AM »
Thanks for that, I've sorted that problem now - it was that a scan was running but there was no status circle-ma-thingy.... erm... status circle? Whatever you call it.

Why is there no free mac version as there is a freeware Windows version? It doesn't make sense to leave the Mac market out?
I dont know as Im not a ALWIL Employee, but I would guess that they are just trying to make their development costs up. Its a really fair price, better than what you would pay for Norton AV for Mac or Intego's VirusBarrier.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

meinrosebud

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 04:42:53 AM »
Personally, I appreciated the effort that put in to create this version of Avast and I purchased a license as a gesture. Now if a Home User version comes out it would not upset me one bit because I believe that we need to be prepared for the script kiddy attacks and that Apple computers will be a real target soon. All of these issue could be blamed on the iPhone hacking.