Author Topic: Can't access web  (Read 4346 times)

windpsalm

Can't access web
« on: July 10, 2008, 03:31:52 PM »
Avast locks up computer during scan, both memory and system.  Windows defender also will not run and locks up.  XP SP2.  Ad Aware run ok.  I do not use Zone Alarm and problem started before MS update.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 03:34:56 PM by windpsalm »

maxcorrigan

Re: Can't access web
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 08:31:12 PM »
i had the same problem after windows update i solved it by going to add remove and removing the update (the one with the date you downloaded update) this happened to me twice after updates yesterday with service patch three which i then removed and today after update service patch two
hope this helps regards Max...........

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 10:40:28 PM »
I do not use Zone Alarm
Which firewall do you use?
Why didn't you update to XP SP3? Maybe the problem is in one of MS updates you've downloaded/installed recently.
The best things in life are free.

windpsalm

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 04:11:33 AM »
Found out that problem is being caused by Win sys32  ASPIMGR.exe back door trojan.  Running AVAST in boot mode to try and eliminate.  Anyone have any other ideas?  Also am installing Zone Alarm when I can get back on line.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 03:23:59 PM »
Also am installing Zone Alarm when I can get back on line.
Right now, ZA and MS Updates and avast aren't working well together.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 06:59:29 PM »
Right now, ZA and MS Updates and avast aren't working well together.

Does that mean a problem with avast only if both of the others are present? I've had no problems with avast and the last MS updates, but use Comodo rather than ZA.

Probably off-topic ... I did have a connection problem starting yesterday, but long enough after those updates that I doubt there's any relationship.  The great support team at my ISP, after running through standard checks and getting nowhere, finally walked me through converting my router-modem from bridge to "multimode", whatever the heck that is, and that worked like a charm.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 08:57:27 PM »
Does that mean a problem with avast only if both of the others are present? I've had no problems with avast and the last MS updates, but use Comodo rather than ZA.
Yes, the problem is on ZA. They already released a patch to correct the problem.

valyaji

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 03:35:15 PM »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 05:27:13 PM »
Who? Me?
I'm using just XP and Vista firewalls (i.e., no outbound filtering on XP. On Vista I have blocked automated connections for some applications/dll).
I've used Outpost in the past. Very good.
I've used Kerio, Sygate, ZA, Comodo and PCTools...

kiwipops

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 10:16:30 AM »
Found out that problem is being caused by Win sys32  ASPIMGR.exe back door trojan.  Running AVAST in boot mode to try and eliminate.  Anyone have any other ideas?  Also am installing Zone Alarm when I can get back on line.
Hi,have been having similar problems,how did you pinpoint that Trojan?My feeling is that this is all part of a much wider issue,that includes the blocking of access to windows updates,firewall corruption,denial of service attack on castlecops site,termination of Sophos applications,possible corruption of Windows Defender,and also the MS Mrt.exe.Most,if not all on 8th,9th July....