Author Topic: Simple Question.  (Read 13573 times)

shockwavesn1per

Re: Simple Question.
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 02:17:19 AM »
Edit: Around some hours later. Tech, I was wondering, if disabling the P2P will speed up downloads. Thanks.

My question remains unanswered? :P

I use SAS, Spybot-SD, avast! 4.8, Comodo Pro, and WinPatrol +, so that's about it on my system.

I've heard some issues about SpywareTerminator about it having bad detection rates and installing something else (some bad). Unclear about that though.

What I like about SAS it's ability to remove malware. This may sound vague, but what was most memorable was removing SmitFraud.

However, nowadays, SAS is slowing down on the definition updates.

A-squared does a good job in detecting rogue malware programs, and I think it detects some rootkits too. SAS was also one who passed the test with the rootkit. The source was Dozleng's Calender of Updates.

wyrmrider

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 02:44:41 AM »
Small World Eric L
Is Tech around today?
I have no Idea on the P2p question
I too scan with A-squared on occasion and check for FP's with every program- even Avast :)
I've not run SAS or Spyware terminator but have Sunbelt Counterspy and Webroot Spysweeper and Spyware Doctor on various customers machines
for a LONG time i had a copy of pest patrol form Download.com which would give real time protection FOREVER with updates but would not remove anything with a scan- seemed to work well
another version from their website would remove but not update-
Webroot's trial version no longer removes anything- Big BOOOOO for that and they dropped legacy Windows support long ago- IT WAS a great tune up and removal Tool
I too use Spybot and Spywareblaster on EVERYTHING
and now that Counterspy is no longer supporting W98/ME am switching back to T-Timer and Scotty on those machines- maybe System Safety monitor
Did anyone take over maintenance of IE Spyads?
Gave up on Ad-ware years ago

have a great weekend
Ommmmmmm

shockwavesn1per

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 05:45:09 AM »
Ah, yes. Duo identities wyrmrider ; )?

I dropped AdAware just some weeks ago. I was actually surprised that they made a huge improvement in the scanning, plus rookits :P. However, it was a HUGE... gargantuan bloat on my RAM. Scanning took 120MB of RAM. Disappointment. Small world yes.

Scotty is alright, I have a paid subscription because I was so eager to see what the Plus database was like... Disappointment rider... because I found out, you can easily rig it. Like just get into the database without a subscription. All you need is the link. Remove the process name and replace it.

I found that if took a "reaction" time test, Spybot's TeaTimer would ace it. Scotty was some seconds behind or maybe never, compared to TeaTimer.

Now why is this off topic to this thread's title?

Have a good weekend too, wyrmrider.

I plan to play the Sims 2 and see how that goes. >:D I need more RAM.

YoKenny

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 11:41:07 AM »
Tech, since you know a bit about uTorrent, I have another question.
Just that I don't know things about uTorrent... I'm a very newbie in torrent stuffs.
all I know is that uTorrent is the fastest way to let the latest malware into your system ::)

shockwavesn1per

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008, 06:09:41 PM »
@Kenny, I think you meant... the contents not the program itself.

Sigh, yea a small world these days.

Kenny I have a question for you.

How do you define 'protection' in the cybernet?

YoKenny

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2008, 06:37:34 PM »

http://www.siteadvisor.com is one place

carioca

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2008, 08:25:53 PM »
@Kenny, I think you meant... the contents not the program itself.

Sigh, yea a small world these days.

Kenny I have a question for you.

just follow the logo and you'll be safe!

shockwavesn1per

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2008, 09:07:23 PM »
carioca, what logo?

@Kenny, yep SiteAdvisor is one in my arsenal. Although I don't like McAfee, SiteAdvisor is better than nothing.

carioca

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2008, 09:16:57 PM »
carioca, what logo?

@Kenny, yep SiteAdvisor is one in my arsenal. Although I don't like McAfee, SiteAdvisor is better than nothing.

eric,
my gnu linux logo.be totally safe without virus, spywares, trojans and any malicious stuff from internet without paying a dime for it!. just learn how to install it. best regards.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2008, 09:17:56 PM »
Tech, I was wondering, if disabling the P2P will speed up downloads. Thanks.
P2P scanning does not change the download speed (neither of P2P applications nor the downloads through your browser).

I've heard some issues about SpywareTerminator about it having bad detection rates and installing something else (some bad).
The toolbar... yeah, unpleasant gift...

A-squared does a good job in detecting rogue malware programs, and I think it detects some rootkits too.
Problems are false positive and lack of restoration (in some cases).
The best things in life are free.

carioca

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2008, 09:23:12 PM »
 8)
hi, tech,
have you trialed the new adware 2008? they improved a lot. I set up on my windows partition and I found a very dangerous spyware which spybot and spyware terminator had failed. if not, give a try! best regards.

Tech, I was wondering, if disabling the P2P will speed up downloads. Thanks.
P2P scanning does not change the download speed (neither of P2P applications nor the downloads through your browser).

I've heard some issues about SpywareTerminator about it having bad detection rates and installing something else (some bad).
The toolbar... yeah, unpleasant gift...

A-squared does a good job in detecting rogue malware programs, and I think it detects some rootkits too.
Problems are false positive and lack of restoration (in some cases).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 09:25:37 PM by carioca »

YoKenny

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2008, 09:27:43 PM »
I have SiteAdvisor on my XP Pro system and SiteHound on my XP Home system.

I have SpywareBlaster to set the Restricted Zones in my browser, hpHosts and MVPS HOSTS files managed by HostsMan to prevent known malicious sites from displaying in the browser, Windows Defender and WinPatrol PLUS to alert me of applications that want to start.

shockwavesn1per

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2008, 10:12:06 PM »
[font face=tahoma]I guess I was right about SpywareTerminator, Tech.

Kenny, don't you think it's a bit too much? I mean the HOSTS programs. SpywareBlaster is fine. Lols, I think it would be a small chance that I'll encounter a malicious in the list.

I just find AdAware 2008 a bloat. The adawareservice process is on in the Free edition, even though there is no real-time protection.
Gah! Download.com's Adaware is dated.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2008, 10:49:28 PM »
have you trialed the new adware 2008? they improved a lot.
I've tested earlier versions of 2008. I did not like it: too much invasive: services running in background, etc.
Besides, the detection rate never convinced me...
The best things in life are free.

wyrmrider

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2008, 12:55:30 AM »
Welcome back Tech
we were trying to tread water till you responded to the on topic p2p question

Ad-aware
I might use it as an on demand scanner to help identify/ clean an infected system and then remove
too much bloat for regular use
no protection in the free version and better solutions available
sorta same answer for A-squared
I think a Host file is an essential tool in addition to Active-X protection and restricted sites file
these take little resources and are free- what's not to like?
Spyware Blaster is best known for its Active-x  sites set kill bit capabilities
I am not sure of its Restricted Sites Capabilities- do a before and after peak and let us know

Kenny- how many unique separate entries do you get with the different Host files
Do you merge Spybot Host entries also?
(I see you are removing duplicates)
thanks