Author Topic: Windows security is saying Avast is turned off  (Read 8958 times)

zacarijacnatsav

Windows security is saying Avast is turned off
« on: July 14, 2008, 06:20:49 PM »
Hi,

For some reason, recently I've been getting a message from Windows security telling me that

"Avast Antivirus 4.8.1201 reports that it is turned off"

How did this happen and how do I turn it back on?  I have 4.8 home edition, Windows XP SP2.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Kim

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Windows security is saying Avast is turned off
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 07:59:08 PM »
This is a common problem with WSC. I don't know if you are using Vista or XP these should work for XP, I don't know about Vista but the bottom option may work.

WSC doesn't detect avast! (or turned off, etc.) - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/topics/help/wmi.mspx#EQKAC
Windows XP SP2, Start, Run, type cmd and click OK from the command prompt type 'rundll32 wbemupgd, RepairWMISetup' without the quotes and enter.

Microsoft Windows XP, Service Pack 2

If you are running Windows XP, Service Pack 2 you can use a single command to detect and repair a corrupted WMI Repository. To do so, type the following from the command prompt (note that the parameter UpgradeRepository is case-sensitive and must be typed exactly as shown):

rundll32 wbemupgd, UpgradeRepository

Or

* Click Start, Run and type CMD.EXE

* Type this command and press Enter:

net stop winmgmt

* Using Windows Explorer, rename the folder %windir%\System32\Wbem\Repository. (For example, %windir%\System32\Wbem\Repository_bad.). %windir% represents the path to the Windows directory, which is typically C:\Windows.

* Switch to Command Prompt window, and type the following and press ENTER after each line:

net start winmgmt

EXIT
Reboot
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The best things in life are free.