Author Topic: Avast! Version 5?  (Read 110905 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast! Version 5?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 05:51:39 PM »
Please nicely, pretty please nicely, I would like to see some preliminary screenshots ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Rafel

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 05:57:13 PM »
Please VLK , some screenshots??
We are very impatient ;)

sanctuaryforever

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 06:44:25 PM »
Vlk will you be allowing user input on the GUI design or not?

either way as long as its clean and accessable I'm fine with it, look forward to any info on it :)

onlysomeone

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 07:34:21 PM »
- it is not realistic to think about Q3 this year. End of the year would be great, but it is not guaranteed in any way. We definitely don't want to rush it.

well, thats just what your homepage tells about version 5  8) - its too bad that it isn't correct :(

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 07:59:16 PM »
A couple of semi-official comments:

- it is not realistic to think about Q3 this year. End of the year would be great, but it is not guaranteed in any way. We definitely don't want to rush it.

- proactive detection (or, rather, prevention of zero day malware) is (as already announced) one of the hottest topic of the new version. But of course, even the current version of avast ( 4.8 ) engine contains a couple of methods designed to tackle yet-unknown malware.

- I don't want to comment the recommendations about specific (competing) AV products given above -- let me just say that Nod32 is not what it used to be now... :)

- the GUI will be totally changed. If you say please nicely, I may consider posting some preliminary screenshots :o).

Take care
Vlk

Thanks for the information! I'm looking forward to v5!

And some screenshots would be nice to see...if you want to post some! ;)

Anyway, keep up the good work!
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

onlysomeone

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 08:08:04 PM »
yes, some screenshots please!!!!!!!!

!!!please!!! !!!please!!! !!!please!!! !!!please!!! !!!please!!! !!!please!!! !!!please!!! !!!please!!! !!!please!!! !!!please!!! !!!please!!! !!!please!!! !!!please!!!
!!!bitte!!! !!!bitte!!! !!!bitte!!! !!!bitte!!! !!!bitte!!! !!!bitte!!! !!!bitte!!! !!!bitte!!! !!!bitte!!! !!!bitte!!! !!!bitte!!! !!!bitte!!! !!!bitte!!! !!!bitte!!! !!!bitte!!!
!!!por favor!!! !!!por favor!!! !!!por favor!!! !!!por favor!!! !!!por favor!!! !!!por favor!!! !!!por favor!!! !!!por favor!!! !!!por favor!!! !!!por favor!!!
!!!من فضلك!!! !!!من فضلك!!! !!!من فضلك!!! !!!من فضلك!!! !!!من فضلك!!! !!!من فضلك!!! !!!من فضلك!!! !!!من فضلك!!! !!!من فضلك!!! !!!من فضلك!!! !!!من فضلك!!! !!!من فضلك!!! !!!من فضلك!!!
!!!proszę!!! !!!proszę!!! !!!proszę!!! !!!proszę!!! !!!proszę!!! !!!proszę!!! !!!proszę!!! !!!proszę!!! !!!proszę!!! !!!proszę!!! !!!proszę!!! !!!proszę!!! !!!proszę!!!

:D

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 10:28:22 PM »
Vlk,

Am I hoping for too much that Avast 5 on it's own will still work and be supported for it's basic use on Windows 98?

If the Firewall is not supported for those systems will that mean that Avast 5 will be the same?

If not will it be a suite for sure? or has this not been decided as yet?

My free registration runs out in February next year, what will happen if Avast 4.8 ceases before then?

RSVP
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 10:34:05 PM by nightshade »
Free avast.
Product version 22.4.6011
Windows 7 32bit
Version 6.1 build 7601 service pack 1

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 10:57:48 PM »
Am I hoping for too much that Avast 5 on it's own will still work and be supported for it's basic use on Windows 98?
We all hope that, at least for 'old' features of avast. There are quite a lot of users with 9x/Me in old computers.

If the Firewall is not supported for those systems will that mean that Avast 5 will be the same?
I don't think so, i.e., I'm guessing only the antivirus will stay 9x compatible.

If not will it be a suite for sure? or has this not been decided as yet?
They've said that it will be both: a suite and standalone applications.

My free registration runs out in February next year, what will happen if Avast 4.8 ceases before then?
You'll be allowed to get avast 5 in the same period. Then you'll have to register again (for free).
The best things in life are free.

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 11:06:00 PM »
Thank you Tech,

Oh I do hope that for older systems that the AV still works and can be updated for VPS on 98, I hope your guess is right.

I will still keep my Zone Alarm, as it's the Avast 5 not supporting the older system that worried me a little.

I know that one day I will be forced to have to buy a new computer, but I love what I have at present, and it does what I need it to do without to many hindrances.

Thanks for your reply.
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

gate1975mlm

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 03:54:57 PM »
A couple of semi-official comments:

- proactive detection (or, rather, prevention of zero day malware) is (as already announced) one of the hottest topic of the new version. But of course, even the current version of avast ( 4.8 ) engine contains a couple of methods designed to tackle yet-unknown malware.

- I don't want to comment the recommendations about specific (competing) AV products given above -- let me just say that Nod32 is not what it used to be now... :)

- the GUI will be totally changed. If you say please nicely, I may consider posting some preliminary screenshots :o).

Take care
Vlk

Please pretty Please :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2008, 05:23:21 PM »
The GUI will be totally changed. If you say please nicely, I may consider posting some preliminary screenshots :o).
Maybe you can post you-know-where-board ;)
The best things in life are free.

a.mutu10

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2008, 06:55:53 PM »
Thx to Vlk for giving us more infos..

Well screenshots would help us to daydream in the waiting  ;)

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2008, 07:19:50 PM »
The GUI will be totally changed. If you say please nicely, I may consider posting some preliminary screenshots :o).
Maybe you can post you-know-where-board ;)

Hi Tech,

Any more info about whether Avast 5 will work on 98? just wondered if there had been an update.
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2008, 07:29:56 PM »
I know Vlk is more interested in the newer operating systems, but all I am asking is for him to say whether 9x systems will be supported in the new Avast 5 when it comes out.

Vlk,

Can you please give me a yes or no, I just need it for basic use.
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

onlysomeone

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2008, 07:52:30 PM »
well, i'm afraid, but it seems as if avast! is not going to support these OS any more...  :-\
because if it would, the team would be proud of it and use it as advertisement...
(just a thought of me...)