Author Topic: Avast! Version 5?  (Read 110920 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast! Version 5?
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2008, 11:24:33 PM »
Please, Please, Please, make Avast 5 compatible for basic use for windows 9x and ME.
I don't know what I'd do without this program.
Stop asking, please... It's not necessary.
Official answer remains the same: basic antivirus features (old ones) will remain compatible in version 5 with old OS like Windows 9x and Me. New features will be added just to new OS like XP/Vista.
The best things in life are free.

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2008, 12:08:15 AM »
Edited.

4 posts down from this one.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 11:34:17 PM by nightshade »
Free avast.
Product version 22.4.6011
Windows 7 32bit
Version 6.1 build 7601 service pack 1

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2008, 03:12:54 AM »
If it's official then I have nothing to worry about then.
Thanks tech.
You're welcome.
The best things in life are free.

rassel

« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2008, 11:08:22 AM »
b) use other tools

Whats the other tool you use which is more better and effective? Example?  :D

I want this just because to get better secure before I get in to the web page.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2008, 02:08:15 PM »
My main concern is being a dial-up user I don't want what little bandwidth I do have being robbed by an auto link checker, I only check manually those I'm actually going to visit.

There is the DrWeb link checker firefox add-on when that eventually is compatible with firefox 3.0 (they are dragging their heels on this one) or the manual check URL that Tech gave you until that comes back.

There is also the WOT firefox add-on which is relatively light on dial-up users, where site advisor add-on brings me to a standstill when I tried that.

But with NoScript, backed up by the Web Shield and Standard Shield, I don't feel to vulnerable in visiting sites if I didn't pre check them. WOT also displays its icon at the  end of the address bar for links if you arrived at without a search.

I also run all internet facing programs under DropMyRights so they are run on limited rights, so the potential for harm is reduced (not eliminated).

Firefox 3.0 also has an anti Phishing protection, so all in all I don't feel that vulnerable.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2008, 11:31:59 PM »
Stop asking, please... It's not necessary.
Official answer remains the same: basic antivirus features (old ones) will remain compatible in version 5 with old OS like Windows 9x and Me. New features will be added just to new OS like XP/Vista.

Tech,

Will this UAC coding issue perhaps change Alwil's opinion regarding support for older os.

The reason for asking is I saw your reply to tuttle's Avast 5 request wish.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12640.msg311063#msg311063
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

rassel

« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2008, 07:46:23 AM »
Thanks David just installed the Dr.Web add-on.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2008, 08:19:46 AM »
Nightshade,

nobody but the Alwil team knows the plans for avast 5 and Tech and DavidR are, however valuable members of this forum, not Alwil employees.  They are not going to pre-announce anything to you personally.  You, like the rest of us, must show patience until the team decide to announce their plans - and experience suggests they will do this first in this forum. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 08:24:09 AM by alanrf »

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2008, 10:17:54 AM »
Nightshade,

nobody but the Alwil team knows the plans for avast 5 and Tech and DavidR are, however valuable members of this forum, not Alwil employees.  They are not going to pre-announce anything to you personally.  You, like the rest of us, must show patience until the team decide to announce their plans - and experience suggests they will do this first in this forum. 

I understand, it is important to me and other users, let's hope they decide as per the official notice, as I love using Avast, and would really hate to lose it.

I was told to stop asking as it's not necessary, but how can this be when the decision has not even been made yet, if you don't ask and say please then I don't see a problem with that, surely it's the same as the people that are asking for requests to Avast 5, and also the requests to see screenshots etc when in fact that is not necessary!

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=37002.msg311150#msg311150
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 11:44:53 AM by nightshade »
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2008, 02:53:45 PM »
Thanks David just installed the Dr.Web add-on.

You're welcome, I though that it wasn't compatible with 3.0.0/3.0.1 unless you are using a hack or have disabled the compatibility check ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2008, 03:08:06 PM »
When a final decision is made re Avast 5 support for win 9x and ME, will there be an annoucement somewhere of which operating systems it will support?

Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2008, 03:44:13 PM »
If there is I know where you will find it, right here, as before any release of version 5 there will most likely be a beta trial and that I would have thought would make it clear if it was compatible with win9x OSes.

Personally, I feel there is little to worry about in the short term. However, one way or another there is little that you or I as users can do about these decisions, at some point older OSes are certain to be dropped. This is a fact of life and isn't just with avast, which is notable in its support even for win95 when compared to other major applications.

Perhaps it is time for you to do some forward planning of your own to upgrade your system, whilst it is still possible to even get winXP, which will see MS extended support for some time to come.

a.mutu10

« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2008, 04:28:26 PM »
Screenshots will not be necessary but it cost nothing... just a print screen.. and it can help users to comment and and who knows maybe improve with suggestions Avast 5 GUI before it is on the market

Support for older OS could mean putting less resources and work time on new features, this to care about just a little part of total customers.

Windows 98 is 10 years old, so if security is a main thing for these clients they should think about upgrading their OS.
You can be the best gardineer of the world, but when the plant is old and weak there is nothing to do for it, Win98 is nowadays weak and avast 5.0 or other futuristic AVs could do not a lot to protect it.

onlysomeone

« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2008, 06:49:18 PM »
Windows 98 is 10 years old, so if security is a main thing for these clients they should think about upgrading their OS.
You can be the best gardineer of the world, but when the plant is old and weak there is nothing to do for it, Win98 is nowadays weak and avast 5.0 or other futuristic AVs could do not a lot to protect it.

how poetic!
and i have to say that you are right!  ;)

advancement sometimes means, that things have to be given up (like the support of old OS) (sorry, i didn't want to annoy users of such OS...   ;D )

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2008, 08:40:32 PM »
Screenshots will not be necessary but it cost nothing... just a print screen.. and it can help users to comment and and who knows maybe improve with suggestions Avast 5 GUI before it is on the market

You say it costs nothing, fair enough, but it will cost me something wont it if I have to  buy a new computer, you all keep saying upgrade, well let me put this straight, I can't upgrade due to the computer hardware being out of date, there would be too many driver problems, and anyway its better to do a clean install which would be stupid to do on a tower of nearly 8 years old, so it would have to be a new computer.

Ok, I am not stupid to think that it's crazy not to upgrade, but as you know it's not all about giving up the ease of the older system, as you are fully aware it's not so easy getting your hardware to be compatible to the newer system, also programs that one uses on a day to day basis will perhaps just not work on newer systems, so all in all it's easy to say upgrade, but by doing so can bring user problems along with it.

I keep reading about the problems that users of XP and Vista have with their respective programs, coding and such like, any people like me that use 98 only do so for it's simplicity, when you purchase a new computer these days it comes with vista, and we all know about the problems this system can bring.

I can bet that the users of vista with it's current problems would rather exchange their newer system for the stable 98 any day.

It seems to me that you can't install a program on Vista without there being a problem of some sort.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 08:43:52 PM by nightshade »
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit