Author Topic: Avast! Version 5?  (Read 110923 times)

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Avast! Version 5?
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2008, 01:50:31 AM »
Nice post, lets hope they do indeed keep the support running, but the more and more I read about this on here I begin to think that the end is nigh!.
Hey c'mon... this is becoming boring... why do you always start the same question or doubt about the support of 98/Me? ::)

Because it concerns me and others, if it concerned you then I suppose you would do the very same.
If you check out the wish-list threads you will see I am not the only one concerned about this.
It looks like I cannot win on here, if I ask a question about it I am shot down, then when I post and agree that the end of support just could be ending for win 9x then I am also shot down, give me a break for goodness sake.

Free avast.
Product version 22.4.6011
Windows 7 32bit
Version 6.1 build 7601 service pack 1

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2008, 02:34:23 AM »
It is not a case of winning, but of a commercial decision, that decision is out of our control Alwil will make that decision as and when it needs to be decided and there is absolutely nothing we the users can do about that so to worry about it is futile. Sorry if that doesn't sit well with you but that is a fact.

I would think that avast 5.0 is sufficiently advanced for no major changes to be made and I would have thought that if older OSes weren't to be supported I feel we would know.

I personally believe that Alwil will where possibly will continue that support for older OSes. However, as has already been seen some of the new functions introduced in 4.8 don't work with win9x, this is likely to be the case with future versions even if older OSes are supported.

The problem will come one day where what they want to do with a future version simply wont work on older OSes without a considerable amount of work on their part and just how much that would cost to support the older OS on what most certainly would be for the free Home version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2008, 02:51:34 AM »
Nice post, lets hope they do indeed keep the support running, but the more and more I read about this on here I begin to think that the end is nigh!.
Hey c'mon... this is becoming boring... why do you always start the same question or doubt about the support of 98/Me? ::)

Because it concerns me and others, if it concerned you then I suppose you would do the very same.
If you check out the wish-list threads you will see I am not the only one concerned about this.
It looks like I cannot win on here, if I ask a question about it I am shot down, then when I post and agree that the end of support just could be ending for win 9x then I am also shot down, give me a break for goodness sake.

Add me to those concerned about whether avast! 5.0 will support Windows 98SE.  Well, at the very least I'd settle for --- IF avast! 5.0 is NOT going to support Windows 98 / SE, at LEAST it'd be great if avast! kept avast! 4.8 Active with whatever protection we have right now.  I mean, right now we Win98 Users are already NOT getting Anti-Rootkit protection.  Fine.  Fair enough.  I'll accept that.  I've still got Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware protection.  Can't have everything, especially for FREE.

If avast! doesn't want to provide the New Firewall for Win98 ... Fine!  I'll accept that.  My system probably wouldn't be able to handle it anyway.

Ultimately, avast! / Alwil Powers That Be will Count the Beans, Crunch the Numbers and they'll very likely give us Win98 Users some Limited amount of protection, like what we have right now ... or they'll Pull the Plug on Win98 permanently.  It's their prerogative, especially since it's FREE for those of us on Home Edition.

There's nothing I'll be able to do about it.  It won't be the 1st time someone's Pulled the Plug on Win98.  Heck, Microsoft Pulled the Plug on Win98.  AOL's FREE McAfee Service Pulled the Plug on Win98.  AVG Pulled the Plug on Win98 ... and on ... and on.  If Alwil's crunching of the numbers ... analyzing of how many Win98 Users there are out there yields the result that Win98 continued Support is a drag, a lost cause and an inconvenience, then so be it. 

I've been very satisfied with avast!'s protection of my Win98SE computer these past 9 or so months.  But, if it's time for avast! to Turn Out the Lights and Let the Win98 / avast! Party Be Over then as The Beatles said --- Let It Be.

But, I REALLY think avast! should consider the aforementioned Party ... Get Back!  Get Back!  Get Back to where it once belonged!    ;D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 03:49:48 PM by Chim »
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2008, 07:57:30 AM »
Yeah, I don't know if it's possible to keep it going so all win 98 users will have the same protection like we have right now, minus any new functions that wont work on older systems, doesn't bother me if I am unable to use any of the newer functions, but it would be great if we still managed to keep the on-line protection.

Let's just keep our fingers crossed till we await the good or bad news.

Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2008, 10:54:35 AM »

However, as has already been seen some of the new functions introduced in 4.8 don't work with win9x, this is likely to be the case with future versions even if older OSes are supported.

I have no problems with that.
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2008, 04:24:05 PM »
Let's just keep our fingers crossed till we await the good or bad news.
nightshade, you're being a pain repointing over and over to this...
If you don't trust Alwil team will keep its word (and the support), why don't you just stay without an antivirus? ???
There is no reason to come again with this hopes, or finger crossed... Trust them! They're a serious company.
The best things in life are free.

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2008, 05:42:04 PM »
If you don't trust Alwil team will keep its word (and the support),why don't you just stay without an antivirus? ???
There is no reason to come again with this hopes, or finger crossed... Trust them! They're a serious company.

Is this a forum? or is this a forum?
I am quite at liberty to post to other posts on here, you are acting against forum rules pin pointing me out all the time.
Please tell me where I said I didnt trust Alwil, show me where I said this or retract your post accusing me of this!

why don't you just stay without an antivirus? ???

What a crazy thing to say!
Would you like to go on without an AV Program, I think not!
Nobody has said for sure that the support will definitely continue, therefore I see no problem with any posts relating to this on here.
This will be the last that I post on this subject, I will leave it up to someone else if they so wish.
Sorry if I have been a pain, but I thought that was a mods job to try and rest fears without being dogmatic.
Finally, I am aware that Alwil are a serious company.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 06:56:43 PM by nightshade »
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2008, 01:26:20 AM »
If you don't trust Alwil team will keep its word (and the support),why don't you just stay without an antivirus? ???

Is this a forum? or is this a forum?
I am quite at liberty to post to other posts on here, you are acting against forum rules pin pointing me out all the time.
Please tell me where I said I didnt trust Alwil, show me where I said this or retract your post accusing me of this!

why don't you just stay without an antivirus? ???

What a crazy thing to say!
Would you like to go on without an AV Program, I think not!
Nobody has said for sure that the support will definitely continue, therefore I see no problem with any posts relating to this on here.
This will be the last that I post on this subject, I will leave it up to someone else if they so wish.
Sorry if I have been a pain, but I thought that was a mods job to try and rest fears without being dogmatic.
Finally, I am aware that Alwil are a serious company.

Now, I haven't been following this thread per se.  I just read a couple of posts.  So hopefully I won't be accused of NOT having all the facts.  But, nightshade, from what I can see and from what I understand, YES ... this IS a Forum and as long as we're NOT attacking another Poster or Posters, we ARE allowed to come in here and comment on and respectfully show concern for whatever issue affects us, our computer ... OUR computer security.

Alwil IS a serious company.  But, I'm sure even serious companies ... just as politicians and entire governments, CAN change their mind, their strategy, their direction, their stance on something, regardless of what was at one point said or alluded to.  If in the very latter stages of some company's project brainstorming, some factor finally tips the scales over a certain threshold ... a company CAN and WILL flip flop if need be.
     I very distinctly remember some years back, a certain "Serious" company where I worked, held a company-wide meeting to squelch rumors.  We asked the Big Cheeses point blank if the company was closing.  They stood there and looked us in the eye and said NO.  A week or two later, BAMM!  The company makes it official that they're closing.

So, I'm right there with you, nightshade.  As long as Alwil doesn't make any official announcement, all we know is that here soon, avast! will be taking a Shot.  The ball will be on its way to the basket ... but, none of us will know until later in the year whether it will be an Airball ... or a Nothing But Net, Game-winning SCORE for continued Windows 98 Support by avast!

If in a couple of months we luck out and avast! does provide us Win98 Users some semblance of an Anti-Virus Security Umbrella sans any Firewall and revolutionary New Bells & Whistles, we'll sure take it and be very appreciative.  If avast! throws us out of the arena and into the rain sans ANY Malware umbrella of any kind, we won't have any choice but to look for another Team.

But, Ehhh, let's think positive, nightshade.  avast! WILL continue support for Win98, just NOT in the full-blown Cyber Galactic travel Warp Factor-engined version that avast! 5 might be.  They can't pass up on the golden opportunity to pick up ground on and breathe down the neck of AVG by covering the Win98 contingent!   ;D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 01:30:44 AM by Chim »
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2008, 03:13:59 AM »
So, I'm right there with you, nightshade.  As long as Alwil doesn't make any official announcement, all we know is that here soon, avast! will be taking a Shot.  The ball will be on its way to the basket ... but, none of us will know until later in the year whether it will be an Airball ... or a Nothing But Net, Game-winning SCORE for continued Windows 98 Support by avast!
Of course Alwil could change its mind.
But I have the OFFICIAL word of the avast! top programmer about that and I have already posted. I'm not upset with anybody... just that we can change the subject and help people and not waste helping time answering all the same. Just that.
Sorry if I have hurt any feeling.

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2008, 03:59:41 AM »

Of course Alwil could change its mind.
But I have the OFFICIAL word of the avast! top programmer about that and I have already posted. I'm not upset with anybody... just that we can change the subject and help people and not waste helping time answering all the same. Just that.

Okee Dokey.  I'll note it down that word on the Cyber Street, if I understand you correctly, is that the future for SOME level of continued support for Win98 by avast! is so bright we gotta wear Shades!   8)  And it's noted that it's also avast!'s prerogative to change their mind.  I'm DUN here. No hard feelings.

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2008, 08:47:52 PM »

Hi Tech,

No hard feelings mate, thanks for the help that you do, I really mean it.

;)
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Mihai Iepure

« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2008, 10:10:40 PM »
Maybe the interface of v5 will be somehow similar with avast! antirootkit. I wish...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2008, 11:58:53 PM »
Hi Tech,
No hard feelings mate, thanks for the help that you do, I really mean it.
Never mind ;)

a.mutu10

« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2008, 07:41:03 AM »
Did Vlk broke his "print-screen" key???  ;D :P

epp

« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2008, 03:28:06 PM »
I went through all six pages and didn't see this question asked.

So...here's my question.   :)

When Avast! 5 is released, will 4.8 (or 4.9, if released) automatically update to 5 via the Program update, or is it something that would require an uninstall of 4.x first?