Author Topic: Avast! Version 5?  (Read 111209 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast! Version 5?
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2008, 03:41:39 PM »
There has been no fixed date for version 5, neither in this or other topics loosely mentioning version 5. There is also no certainty/indication that it would go through 4.9 before 5.0, again not something I worry about, I will take what updates there are as they become available.

In previous topics it has been suggested that version 5 will require a clean install, I don't know for sure if that is the case and isn't something I will worry about I will just do it if that is what is required. I'm sure we will get notified if that is the case.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fazio93

« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2008, 04:03:08 PM »
Did Vlk broke his "print-screen" key???  ;D :P

Haha  :) ;)

gdiloren

« Reply #92 on: August 11, 2008, 04:33:31 AM »
Just read the thread. I'll let the AILWIL TEAM do it's work. Only thing is that I would like the new version added of an heuristic module. I'm still confused and I don't want it to interfere with my other applications, but to have this more kind of weapon wouldn't hurt to improve the detection rate of our AVAST 5 ;D
It's already high  ;) but it would not hurt to improve it, of course! 8)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 04:35:31 AM by gdiloren »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2008, 04:39:50 PM »
I think it is too late in the day to add any major functionality that isn't already included in the plans for version 5.

Detection rate is outside of any application version as that is the VPS, generic, algorithmic signatures. As has been clearly stated by Alwil there will be no heuristics as there is a clear definition for what heuristics is, there is talk of a behavioural functionality (nothing concrete though).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gdiloren

« Reply #94 on: August 11, 2008, 05:02:10 PM »
I think it is too late in the day to add any major functionality that isn't already included in the plans for version 5.

Detection rate is outside of any application version as that is the VPS, generic, algorithmic signatures. As has been clearly stated by Alwil there will be no heuristics as there is a clear definition for what heuristics is, there is talk of a behavioural functionality (nothing concrete though).
I've heard heuristic are not all in definite detection but it will not hurt. Avira, AVG seems to have it. Why AVAST seems to sulk heuristics? What is heuristics in fact???
Thanks! ::)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2008, 05:18:35 PM »
What is dictionary search ???
http://www.tfd.com/heuristics

No if what avast are planning doesn't conform to that definition and it doesn't appear so then they aren't going to have it and that doesn't matter how many other applications that do. avast hasn't been on to follow the crowd but go in their own direction.

Generic and algorithmic might loosely be considered heuristic, but heuristics badly applied would really increase false detections and that I would guess is what avast is trying to avoid.

gdiloren

« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2008, 06:21:20 PM »
What is dictionary search ???
http://www.tfd.com/heuristics

No if what avast are planning doesn't conform to that definition and it doesn't appear so then they aren't going to have it and that doesn't matter how many other applications that do. avast hasn't been on to follow the crowd but go in their own direction.

Generic and algorithmic might loosely be considered heuristic, but heuristics badly applied would really increase false detections and that I would guess is what avast is trying to avoid.
Thanks DavidR,
     I now fully agree with you and keep my AVAST ON like it should ever be. ;)

Damage Inc

« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2008, 10:59:44 PM »
Hi,

im just wondering how much will interface and tray icon change in Avast! 5
Will interface be "player" style again or it will be more clasasical, similar to other antivirus programs?
Will tray icon change? To me current tray icon is just perfect :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2008, 11:18:27 PM »
Will interface be "player" style again or it will be more clasasical, similar to other antivirus programs?
It will be more classical, similar to other (good) applications.
The best things in life are free.

sanctuaryforever

« Reply #99 on: August 18, 2008, 11:19:36 PM »
It will be more classical, similar to other (good) applications.

I'm curious as to what "good" applications is referring to ???

Offline Justin_22

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • Free your soul and let it fly
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2008, 11:20:40 PM »
I like avast (version 4.8) just as it so far and would like to see much of the same in version 5 but added on with the behavior functionality. As for the Heuristics added into the Avast! engine its both a good and bad idea in my opinion good because it adds a layer for Undetected Malware and bad because well of the higher False Positives but im leaning more towards no heuristics because in all AV comparisons Ive read Avast! seems to continuously score in 97% 98% detection rates with rivals (Kaspersky, NOD32 ect.) usually scoring a few points below or quite a bit below Avast! this is just my opinion of course.
Avast!  2014 beta - Sandboxie - K9 Web Protection

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #101 on: August 19, 2008, 12:21:37 AM »
I'm curious as to what "good" applications is referring to ???
It's a matter of personal taste... there are some interfaces very ugly (even with skins, like Spybot) don't you think?
The best things in life are free.

gdiloren

« Reply #102 on: August 19, 2008, 12:32:51 AM »
1) OK AVIRA is NOT skinnable. But WHY Avast not being "skinnable" any more? To me, it's a step BACKWARD!
2) AVIRA has heuristics integrated and not so much FP. AVAST should lean towards this branch of malware protection although there is PREVXCSI to compensate.
3) I like I'm in LOVE with the actual ball tray icon. Why should we change? Let's concentrate on more serious matters!
4) Scanning speed. A good and thorough job needs time to be well done. It ain't a joke. :-*
5) Getting pop-ups whenever AVAST catches something in the free edition. I don't mind! As long as I do scan completely my pc very often and get only 1 or 2 viruses from time to time. Question is: Am I "unusual"?  ::)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 12:52:07 AM by gdiloren »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #103 on: August 19, 2008, 12:36:01 AM »
1. this answer has been asked and answered many times, the software used to do the skinning is no longer available.

gdiloren

« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2008, 01:32:39 AM »
1. this answer has been asked and answered many times, the software used to do the skinning is no longer available.
As we say:"too bad!". Skins are a minor issue anyway! ;)