Author Topic: Avast! Version 5?  (Read 110907 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast! Version 5?
« Reply #135 on: December 23, 2008, 07:53:10 PM »
So, when that day comes it might occur that you could not update the program on Win9x systems and the updates would no longer be available for the older program releases.
Maybe the support for avast 4 continues a little bit and keep the compatibility.
Something is telling me that avast 5 won't walk to Windows 98/Me full compatibility.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #136 on: December 23, 2008, 08:16:08 PM »
<snip>
Some say as long as 5 is released before the end of 2009 then older systems will be supported, then this.

Some being me and that is my supposition, based on what has been said in the link you posted below.

Ah well, I have just seen this Note: The operating systems Windows 95/98/Me/NT4 will be supported until the end of 2009.

http://www.avast.com/eng/system-requirements-avast-home.html

Which this basically confirms my supposition that should avast 5 come out before the end of 2009 (which is what we all want/wish/hope) then it should support older OSes in the same way 4.8 does. e.g. elements like boot-time scan, anti-rootkit, etc. that won't function because of the older OS.

Quote from: avast.com
Note: The operating systems Windows 95/98/Me/NT4 will be supported until the end of 2009.

So you have a year and a very short bit to make your plans, by that time AVs that support older OSes will be rarer than hens teeth, avast being an exception up to that point.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #137 on: December 23, 2008, 08:40:29 PM »
Thanks guys..........

I will wait for Windows 7, and purchase a new computer, I hope by then any flaws in Windows 7 will have been fixed, service pack and all that jazz.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 08:53:49 PM by nightshade »
Free avast.
Product version 22.4.6011
Windows 7 32bit
Version 6.1 build 7601 service pack 1

matt231

« Reply #138 on: December 24, 2008, 12:24:31 AM »
Sorry I haven't read the entire thread but has Vlk posted the "preliminary screenshots" yet?  ;D

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #139 on: December 24, 2008, 01:05:07 AM »
As I haven't bought a computer since 2001, I ask, is it still as difficult to set them up when first switched on?

Free avast.
Product version 22.4.6011
Windows 7 32bit
Version 6.1 build 7601 service pack 1

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #140 on: December 24, 2008, 01:11:48 AM »
Sorry I haven't read the entire thread but has Vlk posted the "preliminary screenshots" yet?  ;D
Elsewhere... by now, a restricted area in the avast forums. Sorry.

As I haven't bought a computer since 2001, I ask, is it still as difficult to set them up when first switched on?
Setup? Do you mean configure? Well, depends on how many applications will you install, how many hardware parts it has... but it's not that difficult, there are a lot of automatic things, wizards and routines...

matt231

« Reply #141 on: December 27, 2008, 07:52:25 AM »
Hmm, is there any news on avast! 5 yet?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #142 on: December 27, 2008, 09:48:17 AM »
matt231 ,

it is easier for you to take the trouble to go one page up than it is to re-post the information for you.

Give it a try.

poppie

« Reply #143 on: December 27, 2008, 03:09:03 PM »
I hope that avast 5.x will have nicer skin. many skin packs don't impress me
it should be as nice as AVG 8 or more. :)

Iso-G

« Reply #144 on: December 27, 2008, 04:17:22 PM »
I like better quality, so that I don't want to rush them.
We konw they release avast! 5 when they should do.

I hope that avast 5.x will have nicer skin.

I like skinable interface. :D
I konw some folks on Wilders Security forums don't like avast's skinable interface, but I like it.
I want graphic designers to create more avast! skins for kids and girls.
I want designers to create fantasic and/or exotic skins more.  (^o^)v

Sesame

« Reply #145 on: December 27, 2008, 05:32:19 PM »
I konw some folks on Wilders Security forums don't like avast's skinable interface, but I like it.
I want graphic designers to create more avast! skins for kids and girls.
I want designers to create fantasic and/or exotic skins more.  (^o^)v

I'm sorry to tell you this but Avast! 5 won't have skin support.
With very high probability, skin support will be dropped from avast 5.
This decision has been made after a long consideration (we uderstand that it won't make happy some people but we still believe it will be a good move for avast and the vast majority of its users).

I know some people like the skinnable interface.  In fact, some people recognize Avast! for its music-player-like default skin as some others recognize it as the "talking" anti-virus program.  That said, there is a bright side of this decision.  The simplicity itself removes some problems.
Anyway, the two problems you mention are caused by a Microsoft library (Explorer Extension) and the 3rd party skinning component (the rest of the GUI). So, I'm afraid there isn't much we can do about it right now.

When avast! 5 is released, it will be built by a new version of the compiler, and it won't use skins anymore - so both of the problems should disappear.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 06:06:10 PM by Rumpel »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #146 on: December 27, 2008, 09:34:15 PM »
Me too... since from the beginning 5 years ago... I'd like the skinable interface very much.

Sesame

« Reply #147 on: December 29, 2008, 03:55:27 AM »
Me too... since from the beginning 5 years ago... I'd like the skinable interface very much.
Sorry for being rather late but is this your wishful thought or is there information I missed?  As far as I know, the team decided to drop support for skinnable interface for Avast 5!.  However, you are one of the forum members who frequent the boards and probably know better than I do.  ???

Sammo

« Reply #148 on: December 29, 2008, 04:36:24 AM »
Well, until Avast 5 comes out I will continue to beta test Avira Premium Security Suite 9.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #149 on: December 29, 2008, 04:49:23 AM »
Rumpel,

I suspect that Tech was just kinda sighing and speaking for many of us in saying that he has liked having the skinable interface available and (I think) regretting that it is going away. 

To look on the bright side - I am sure that we will have a lot more to discuss between us with the advent of avast 5 than just its looks.