Author Topic: Ares connection  (Read 7776 times)

Angelic One

Ares connection
« on: July 12, 2008, 05:56:49 PM »
Hi,

I've just bought a new desktop pc and downloaded the latest version of Ares (2.0.9).  I've allowed all accesses through firewalls and avast!.  I can see uploads happening on Ares, but my connection (allowing me to download) does not happen, it just says "connecting" at the top.  It did connect for half an hour yesterday, but then stopped and hasn't connected since......a real puzzler!

I have used Ares before on a previous pc with no problems.

Just wondered if anyone knows why i can't connect and maybe suggest something I may not have done - its the first time I've used avast! and wondered if it was that which is blocking the connection?

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Ares connection
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 06:57:59 PM »
There're a few suggestions here that might be useful:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=19039.0
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Angelic One

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 07:11:42 PM »
Hi,

Yeah, I already saw that link and none of them work.

I have just noticed that each time I close Ares down and then reopen it, it connects for about 3 minutes and allows me to download then goes off again, but uploads just continue.  Its just my download connection that keeps stopping.

I've even uninstalled Ares and reinstalled incase it was a glitch in the installation process, but that doesn't seem to have changed anything.

If it's not avast! thats blocking it must be the firewall, but I've gone into that and put Ares as an exception (as well as avast! as well), so I'm just baffled!

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 07:17:02 PM »
What's the firewall, and are you behind a router with a firewall?

Angelic One

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 07:26:12 PM »
Hi,

The firewall is the one already on Windows XP and I don't know if I have a router! how would I find it?  Does avast! come with a built in firewall? if it does I haven't done anything with that yet and the problem may lie there.  Sorry if thats a big vague, but I only know a small amount about computers.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 07:36:11 PM »
Well, avast! doesn't have a firewall, and the XP firewall doesn't block outgoing connections.

Does Ares work if you temporarily disable avast!?

How do you connect to the internet? Dial-up? Broadband? Cable? What does it say on the box (if any) that sits between you computer and the outside world? Were you using the same connection previously?

Angelic One

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 07:44:15 PM »
I've got broadband connection and my modem is running because I can gain access to the internet and email with no problem.  Yeah, its not the outgoing connection that wont work because Ares is allowing uploads from other users to my pc, its my connection to allow me to download from others that won't work.  I tried disabling just p2p shield and disabling avast! altogether, but neither has worked.  Yes, its all the same connection as before, i just bought a new hard drive.  Avast! was already installed on it and I couldn't find my original version of Ares to download again, so I downloaded the new 2.0.9 version.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 07:54:54 PM »
What does it say on the box (if any) that sits between you computer and the outside world?

I ask this question because sometimes a broadband also includes a router and firewall. If the firewall is blocking incoming connections, it could affect your ability to download.

Just fishing here.