Author Topic: Web Shield causes all browsers to stop working  (Read 98992 times)

wyrmrider

Re: Web Shield causes all browsers to stop working
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 11:47:22 PM »
Info
BINGO
Norton yet again
(or Panda or Mcaffe or whatever)
post back and let us know how you are doing

Other posters to this thread
if you do not have the Norton/Pand/mcaffe AVG or other previous AV problem/solution id suggest starting new threads
please give all the info required in your first new post

do the previous AV uninstall -reboot- run cleanup tool for previous AV- reboot
another cleanup tool can be found on the ANTIVIR website under programs or products
 reinstall Avast
update
schedule a boot scan

Did that fix it?
post back to close your part of this thread or give a link to your new thread

there is malware that also causes this behaviour
with various fixes
let's get everyone clean

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 12:24:28 AM »
You're welcome.

If you received it on your system, it was certainly fully installed (even as a time limited trial) or you wouldn't have found the entries in msconfig, you should always look in add remove programs first before taking any other action.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

info

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 03:37:09 AM »
Absolutely, I just saw the NIS directory in Program Files, it has it's subdirectories, and it appears to have been quite completely installed. I also have the icon ('twas hidden) so I'm a little embarassed I even mentioned this part of it.  I would like to be thorough in removing the program and will take a moment to study exactly how to do it a little further.  Thanks for the warnings.  I have not yet had the time to explore the links provided.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 03:49:38 AM by info »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 04:13:55 AM »
You're welcome, good luck in removing NIS.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Goliath Corporation

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 05:50:42 AM »
Previous AV on my machine was AVG 7.5 followed briefly by 8.0 plus Spybot plus Ad-aware 2007.  Removed AVG via add/remove in the control panel, and made sure the Grisoft and AVG folders in Program Files and Documents and Settings are no longer there.  Any other steps in making sure it's all gone?

After installing avast I ran the boot-time scan, which found a few generics in the System Volume Information restore directories but nothing in the Windows directory.  Subsequent scan show up nothing.

When I first noticed the problem, I still had Ad-aware 2007 and Spybot 1.5.2 plus Spybot-SD Resident on my system along with avast! 4.8.1201.  I've removed Ad-aware (via their uninstall shortcut?), and am now running Spybot and its Resident at version 1.6, SUPERAntiSpyware Free and Malwarebytes' Anti-malware.  No firewall running on the machine (running one at the gateway).

With avast, I'm now running 4.8.1218 Home with the default providers and have not made any changes other then (i) disabled skins, (ii) show results of  Explorer Extension scans and (ii) check for full-screen applications before showing pop-ups (as I run quite a number of games).

I tend to notice the problem after I've been gaming for a while e.g. over the past few weeks I've been running Guild Wars plus Ventrilo plus Ventrilo server running for a few hours - Guild Wars and the Ventrilo programs continue to operate fine to the internet, but the web browsers cannot retrieve anything.  It's also occurred at other times though - on a couple of occasions where I've run iTunes shortly after boot-up I've noticed that it was not downloading my podcasts, and then that my email and web were not going either.  When it occurs the indications are that all processes are running normally - ashWebSv.exe is not using CPU time, and no other programs or services are hogging resources.

wyrmrider

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 06:04:56 AM »
Goliath
here is link to AVG uninstall page  several entries

http://www.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-285
notice that they recommend downloading the latest installation file to remove
AVG does not have a separate uninstall program
I use the one from ANTIVIR on AVG which does seem to find some things the AVG removal misses
(it is a version of a popular reg cleaner)
Cheers
wyrmrider

spybot does not interfere with AVAST
neither does spywareblaster

you will have to do the remove-reinstall drill with avast after the AVG removal methinks
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 06:14:00 AM by wyrmrider »

info

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 05:56:44 PM »
Just a brief note to report that since I disabled Web Shield, the browser (Firefox in my case) has been working flawlessly and has not stopped connecting in almost 24 hours without any measures having been taken by me (no disabling/enabling of avast! or rebooting).  So, at the moment, it seems that I am in the same situation as fooldog01 with Vista and avast! allowing smooth connections to the web as long as Web Shield is not active.  I have not yet re-enabled it to see if this corrects the problem as it may have done in his case.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 06:12:25 PM by info »

wyrmrider

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 06:51:09 PM »
INfo
give it a shot
you do NOT want to be without AV protection which is how you are now

info

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 03:30:26 AM »
INfo
give it a shot
you do NOT want to be without AV protection which is how you are now
Thanks wyrmrider.  I went ahead with the Norton Removal Tool in the ftp link that David provided which appears to have done quite a good job as it even removed the icons and there is nothing running that I can see with the name Norton attached.  The NIS directory has also been fully removed.  There are two items which appear in MSCONFIG as disabled (ccApp and isCfgWiz) which I googled and both seem to be related to Norton.  These are not the two items I mentioned previously which I had disabled, and both of which had the name Norton in them; those are gone.   I'm not sure what I should do about these two.

Should I remove avast! and re-install at this point or just run as is for a while to see?   If I need to remove avast!, should I do this with Add/Remove Programs and was there an additional cleanup procedure that needed to be followed?  I didn't quite understand your post about this.

Things seem to be running well at the moment but I just uninstalled the Norton programs a few moments ago and rebooted.  I disabled the Web Shield provider in an attempt to reproduce the behavior that seemed to solve the problem for fooldog01, and will continue to run this way for a little while (re-enabling Web Shield after maybe a couple of hours) unless I hear otherwise.  I hope the removal of NIS solves the problem.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 03:43:22 AM by info »

wyrmrider

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 05:02:47 AM »
they are related to norton
they will not cause any problems but you do not need them

you could also try the antivir removal tool if you are going to reinstall AVAST
but let's see if avast works correctly with Norton resident portions and most registry entries gone

get web shield back on and report

thanks for posting those two Norton remnants- there may be additional fragments
if you do run the antivir tool and find any let me know- it did on may machine and I have not used norton AV for YEARS and was converting from- subsequent to Norton- Antivir and AVG installations

If you do need to reinstall I'd do both the add remove programs way and then use the "small fix" then run the antivir tool then reinstall - with lots of reboots
perhaps this will not be necessary

let us know

info

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2008, 05:57:00 AM »
So far, so good with Web Shield up and intense surfing for about 2 hours now.  Memory usage seems considerably lower (it may be the two programs though).  I will probably be up past midnight (PST) visiting different sites and should know what is going on soon.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 07:50:37 AM by info »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2008, 02:09:53 PM »
Once you have remover Norton you will most certainly notice less ram used and probably your system is more responsive too. So if after the removal avast is running fine it will probably be OK to leave it as it is, if you do have any other issues then a reinstall would be advised.

I seem to have missed the antivir that wyrmrider has picked up on so you should run the uninstall tool for that before considering any action on avast.
Avira AntiVir Uninstall Package & RegistryCleaner (choose appropriate version): http://www.avira.com/en/support/support_downloads.html

wyrmrider

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2008, 04:04:04 PM »
DAvidR echos correctly
do not run the Antivir tool unless you have to reinstall as the norton fragments are disabled they are harmless
looks like you are good to go
after an update you might want to schedule a boot scan for your next reboot to catch anything that might have snuck in while webshield was down however the on access-(when a program loads) protection should catch most things

info

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2008, 04:37:32 PM »
Well, I'm sorry to say that last night, after about an additional hour of internet use, I again had Firefox 3 just suddenly stop connecting.  There was no prior slowing down of the system or other tangible symptoms whatsoever, clicking on a link just spins Firefox and the connection does not go through.  After trying two or three addtional links without success, I  stopped avast! On-access protection using the taskbar icon and was able to reconnect immediately.  I turned avast! back on and continued as if nothing had happened.

So, I think I should proceed to the next step of removing and re-installing avast! in the hope that that will fix it.  I have a question about wyrmrider's post below:

If you do need to reinstall I'd do both the add remove programs way and then use the "small fix" then run the antivir tool then reinstall - with lots of reboots
perhaps this will not be necessary

I'm not sure what the "small fix" refers to so I will wait for clarification before I proceed.  Then I will use add/remove to take out avast, use the small fix (whatever it is), use the antivir tool in the link David just provided, then reinstall, rebooting after every move.  Please let me know if I am understanding this correctly.  I'm now again wondering if fooldog1 really got this permanently fixed since if one uses the net only lightly it takes (me) hours to get to the glitch.

info

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2008, 04:39:01 PM »
There is are several links on the Avira site and I'm a bit confused as to which ones to use.  First is the Avira AntiVir Removal Tool accompanied by a "download here" link.  Then a little further down the page is a link to what appears to be the same thing.  And prior to that there is an "Avira AntiVir and Registry Cleaner"  link.  I am under the impression that I should go with the last one. Is this correct?  Also, it does not indicate support for Windows Vista in the pdf Manual (going as far as XP).
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 05:03:17 PM by info »