Author Topic: Web Shield causes all browsers to stop working  (Read 98988 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Web Shield causes all browsers to stop working
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2008, 06:03:21 PM »
First fully remove antivir, see the image to see what you should download.

Reboot and continue monitoring avast and your browsing, if no problem, then OK, if the same then reinstall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

info

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2008, 06:20:56 PM »
Once you have remover Norton you will most certainly notice less ram used and probably your system is more responsive too. So if after the removal avast is running fine it will probably be OK to leave it as it is, if you do have any other issues then a reinstall would be advised.

I seem to have missed the antivir that wyrmrider has picked up on so you should run the uninstall tool for that before considering any action on avast.
Avira AntiVir Uninstall Package & RegistryCleaner (choose appropriate version): http://www.avira.com/en/support/support_downloads.html
It's possible that I may have completely misunderstood something here.  I have never had any Avira products on my computer and was thinking that you were all referring to some generic product that removed malware.  Is this software really applicable to me?  Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2008, 06:32:27 PM »
No I believed I had missed something somewhere (another post/topic) that you also at some point had antivir as wyrmrider brought this up.

If you didn't have it installed then no need to run that, but now the next step would be a clean reinstall of avast.

Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.

1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step) reboot.
2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot
3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wyrmrider

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2008, 06:49:26 PM »
right
the Antivir tool is a general purpose tool which might remove those two Norton leftovers
I'll check  on which one is which-- good find about Vista
so I'll check and see if they work on Vista
so for now Neither

there are other ways to clean up those entries however since they are disabled they cause no need for immediate action

info

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2008, 07:46:56 PM »
I uninstalled avast! and ran the uninstall utility in Safe Mode, rebooting at each step along the way.  I have completed the re-installation, rebooted, and chose "yes" to schedule a boot time scan; but, I had to move from the location when the scan had only progressed 5% and possibly made a mistake stopping it.  I suppose a regular scan will do the same for me this evening but stopping it may have allowed a bug to stay around.  I suppose I could repeat the installation process this evening if it becomes necessary.  Again, keeping my fingers crossed.  Thanks for your help.

wyrmrider

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2008, 08:12:25 PM »
you completed the installation process
ran update
then scheduled bootime scan- right?
rebooted - scan started then moved ?
should be no harm no fowl
no hits?

you should not have to reinstall
you could reschedule bootime scan if still having problems
run your hours of tests now and let's see if something acts up
NORTON hopefully was the root of all EVIL and hopefully the conflict is gone

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2008, 08:24:38 PM »
I uninstalled avast! and ran the uninstall utility in Safe Mode, rebooting at each step along the way.  I have completed the re-installation, rebooted, and chose "yes" to schedule a boot time scan; but, I had to move from the location when the scan had only progressed 5% and possibly made a mistake stopping it. 

Stopping the scan shouldn't be a problem, it is only looking for infection and your problems don't seem to be related to any infection.

The installation doesn't need to do a boot-time scan to complete successfully, it has effectively done that before you reboot and if windows started after aborting the  boot-time scan, then no problem you should OK.

Re the two NIS entries reported earlier:
Quote from: info
There are two items which appear in MSCONFIG as disabled (ccApp and isCfgWiz) which I googled and both seem to be related to Norton.

Then it is back to monitoring avast and your browsing and see what the result is.

If they are disabled in msconfig, you cang go back in there and right click on them and you should be able to select delete.

I suppose a regular scan will do the same for me this evening but stopping it may have allowed a bug to stay around.  I suppose I could repeat the installation process this evening if it becomes necessary.  Again, keeping my fingers crossed.  Thanks for your help.

I wouldn't make that supposition a boot-time scan can take a while and it differs from the regular on-demand scan as you can change the sensitivity and effectively what is scanned.

There should be no need to reinstall unless you are experiencing problems and you should report the problem first.

Goliath Corporation

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2008, 11:35:24 PM »
Like info I'm also still having problems.  A couple of nights ago I did an uninstall, then rebooted to safe mode and ran the Antivir registry cleaner tool wyrmrider suggested (which seemed to find a slew of AVG related entries) and ccleaner.  I then searched the drives for any Grisoft/AVG directories and removed anything related.  After doing that I rebooted the machine, reinstalled avast, followed again by a reboot. 

I left avast at 4.8.1201 and did my usual things for a few hours (Thunderbird, Firefox, Guild Wars, Ventrilo server, Ventrilo) and things were fine for a few hours, then suddenly stopped.  After a reboot, I went through the process of installing avast beta (was interested to see if there was any difference between the versions) and rebooted again.  Things were fine for the rest of that evening.  However last evening I experienced the lockups again.

Did I miss a step, as I did not run the avast removal tool?  I don't mind repeating the process if you guys think it's worth a shot.

I found an earlier thread (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=19650.0) about web shield issues which suggests enabling web shield logging and catching a memory dump when the shield locks up - I will also set these up tonight in the hope of catching the cause.

wyrmrider

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2008, 03:05:42 AM »
It will be interesting to see what that webshield log shows
I've never done that myself

When I un-installed AVG I also got a lot of AVG leftovers with the ANTIVIR Tool and a lot of very old NORTON leftovers
Avast is now humming for me
good luck

info

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2008, 03:43:27 PM »
you completed the installation process
ran update
then scheduled bootime scan- right?
rebooted - scan started then moved ?
should be no harm no fowl
no hits?

you should not have to reinstall
you could reschedule bootime scan if still having problems
run your hours of tests now and let's see if something acts up
NORTON hopefully was the root of all EVIL and hopefully the conflict is gone
Sorry for the delay in getting back to the board, I was sidetracked yesterday and only now am returning to my computer.  In answer to the above,  yes, that is right except for the update part which avast! did automatically but it I don't exactly remember when.  Unless answering yes to the "Schedule boot time scan?" automatically causes a reboot then and there, I am under the impression that right after that, avast! updated itself.  I was so tired yesterday, I forgot to run a scan from within Vista before going to bed.  I just located the boot time scan option from within avast! and will choose that over doing the scan from within Vista.

info

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2008, 03:48:44 PM »
posted in error, please disregard.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 04:01:37 PM by info »

info

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2008, 03:54:27 PM »
David, thanks for the additional information, I'm learning a lot here.  I have also read Goliath's posts carefully and my problem seems very similar to his.  More details as they arise.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 04:01:04 PM by info »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2008, 04:10:44 PM »
You're welcome.

info

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2008, 07:43:38 AM »
I am sorry to report that the problem has persisted.  After watching a video of about an hour (National Geographic's "Cloning"), I was unable to connect to any new sites until I stopped and started avast!, whereupon again I was immediately able to reconnect.  Would it be possible to analyze a log or a core dump using the procedure described in the thread provided by Goliath?  Or are there other things I could try?  I am doing a Standard Scan right now.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2008, 01:50:21 PM »
Sorry I'm at a loss as to what might be the problem, with everything that we have suggested and you have done should have resolved the problem and it did for a while.

It is this inconsistency that I don't understand, the web shield should either work or not with no inconsistency. This would lead me to believe there is some outside influence, what is the 64,000 dollar question.

Lets try another tool to see what it reveals.
HiJackThis, Program & Tutorial - Also useful as a diagnostic tool - FileHippo Download - HiJackThis and post the contents of the HJT log file here. - HJT Information HiJackThis Tutorial.
Download and run HJT and post the contents of the log file (cut and paste or attach the log file to the post) into this topic, you may need to split it over two or more posts depending on how large it is.