Author Topic: Web Shield causes all browsers to stop working  (Read 98983 times)

info

Re: Web Shield causes all browsers to stop working
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2008, 03:07:32 PM »
Sorry for this post, I seem to be getting extra forum posts in error.  It may be related to the preview function but I'm unsure at this point.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 04:36:29 PM by info »

info

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2008, 04:22:51 PM »
Thanks David.  I will download those programs and wait for the problem to re-occur to run them.  At the same time, I will try to set up the logging on avast! the way indicated towards the end of the thread that Goliath posted above (where someone solved a  seemingly identical problem by adding a line to exclude a .dll process in one of the avast! files).  This has been the only documented solution that I have seen so far, but I am not running the program that seemed to be causing the problem in that particular case. 

I have also seen several posts tying the problem to ZoneAlarm which has always been running simultaneously on my system every time the problem occured.   One person said that when both ZoneAlarm or Web Shield were running together the glitch would occur (he was also on Vista running both avast! and ZA).  Disabling either resolved the issue.  Unfortunately, he tried almost every possible combination of installing, uninstalling (first one, then the other) and also several changes to his settings (receiving much assistance on the avast! and ZA forums to no avail.  He evidently gave up on it without a solution and probably subsituted either a different firewall or anti-virus.

I did a Thorough Scan with avast! and found 0 files infected.   Placing the cursor over the avast! icon in the Taskbar shows 7 providers total, 6 running.  There is a software package called Sphinx which someone mentioned that sets up the Vista Firewall in a way that it works in an acceptable way (it is evidently somewhat complicated to set up to catch outgoing traffic) but, I am uncertain about the free version and am debating whether to install this (possibly Comodo is better).  Also, I have disabled ZA to confirm that there it has a relationship to this on my own system, so it may take me a while to report back while I get all of this done. 

I appreciate you all hanging in there with me.

info

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2008, 04:45:58 PM »
I'm getting the following warning in the Vista Event Viewer.  There have been 30 logged records of this, 6 in the last 7 days.  The time of this one seems to coincide with the time of the failure to connect to the internet problem I had last night; although, the previous recorded warning did not correspond to the occurence of the problem yesterday.  So, I have set updates to ask, and restarted ZoneAlarm to see if this is the culprit first.  I seem to recall a post saying that updates was the cause of disconnects from one poster.

Log Name:      Antivirus
Source:        avast!
Date:          7/17/2008 11:22:04 PM
Event ID:      90
Task Category: Client
Level:         Warning
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Universe
Description:
Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed. Return code is 0x000004C7, dwRes is 000004C7. 
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="avast!" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="16896">90</EventID>
    <Level>3</Level>
    <Task>4</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-07-18T06:22:04.000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>74</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Antivirus</Channel>
    <Computer>Universe</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed. Return code is 0x000004C7, dwRes is 000004C7.  </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 04:49:00 PM by info »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2008, 04:51:19 PM »
I wouldn't wait, you have an unexplained problem already.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wyrmrider

« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2008, 07:05:25 PM »
david and info
I've jsut been lurking
but
both
Vistafirewall and zonealarm?

info
follow davidR's instructins
mine are just comments at this point

info

« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2008, 07:11:52 PM »
david and info
I've jsut been lurking
but
both
Vistafirewall and zonealarm?

info
follow davidR's instructins
mine are just comments at this point
Vista Firewall is disabled at the moment.  I was thinking that, as a last resort, I would just disable Zone Alarm and use the Vista Firewall (if I could confirm that by not running it avast! would run without problems).  The Sphinx software evidently facilitates a more secure Vista Firewall.

info

« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2008, 07:23:20 PM »
Here is the attatched result of the scan.  None of the boxes came up checked on the HJT scan.  Is the the logfile we wanted (sorry, although I've seen it mentioned many times before, I am not familiar with using HJT).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »
That is why I gave a link to a HJT Tutorial as well.

These are further remnants of Norton, fix:
O2 - BHO: NCO 2.0 IE BHO - {602ADB0E-4AFF-4217-8AA1-95DAC4DFA408} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Symantec Intrusion Prevention - {6D53EC84-6AAE-4787-AEEE-F4628F01010C} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\IDS\IPSBHO.dll (file missing)

Redundant Fix:
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {7FEBEFE3-6B19-4349-98D2-FFB09D4B49CA} - (no file)

Other than that I don't see anything obvious.

Do you use WildTangent as a) I'm not a gamer and b) some think it should be removed.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WildTangent and http://www.pchell.com/support/wildtangent.shtml
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wyrmrider

« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2008, 08:07:40 PM »
good work info
do read the tutorial prior to a fix by hjt
close all browsers including this one
if you have run any other scans or rebooted your system prior to FIX you might want to post up a follow up hjt

Wild Tangent
If you do not use it Loose it
that's IMHO

Goliath Corporation

« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2008, 08:54:53 AM »
Since enabling the logging a couple of nights ago, I hadn't had a lockup until I was replying here saying that the problem hadn't occued since enabling the logging...

The programs I was running at the the time were Firefox, Ventrilo server, Ventrilo and iTunes (which had been busy downloading prior to the lockup).

I used the userdump program from the other thread to capture a dump of the ashWebSv.exe process (and discovered that I had to disable the avast self-defence module in order to do so) then disabled and re-enabled my network adapter and was able to resume normal service.  Since then I've been running Guild Wars, Ventrilo server, Ventrilo and Firefox and things are still working ok at the mo.

Could someone tell me if the instructions in lukor's post (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=19650.msg265569#msg265569) are still valid - just wanting to check that I won't send the file into a black hole.

Looking through the AshWebSv.log file doesn't appear to point to any causes - there is just a pause between when things seems to have hung up, and when things resume after I re-enabled my adapter.

Following info's lead, I also had a look at the Event Viewer, but could not find any events which correlate with the Web Shield lockup.

DavidR, thanks for the HJT links - it found another leftover from AVG8 which I removed:
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - (no file)

info, since you're using Vista do you have the ZoneAlarm compatibility settings enabled in the [WebScanner] section of your avast4.ini file?  (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.msg15960#msg15960).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2008, 02:50:49 PM »
You're welcome.

I would say the instructions are still valid, however, it is normal to have been asked to upload this by one of the Alwil team as the FTP upload destination isn't continuously monitored so it could sit there for a while.

The ZA compatibility settings have nothing to do with the OS, but the version of Zone Alarm, e.g. if you have the ZA Pro version. avast! should detect what ZA version you have and not ask the question if you have the ZA Free version.

info

« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2008, 03:37:36 PM »
Goliath, Thanks for pointing that out.  I am using the Zone Alarm free version and I'm not sure from what I saw on Zone Alarm compatibility setting if it is necessary.  The note alongside seems to imply that it isn't but it would seem to be worth a try.

I have been a little tied up in the last couple of days and haven't had to much time available.  Here is what is in my avast.ini file in the DATA directory.  I have not enabled logging yet as I have disabled ZA and am testing avast! alone with the Windows Vista Firewall (just turned it to on with no modifications) trying to eliminate ZA as a source of the problem.  I a have left avast! on with Web Shield activated.

Yesterday, Firefox got stuck in processes (could not be terminated, no matter how long I waited.  this has happened before).  I tried IE which connected only after I disabled and re-enabled On-Access protection.  At the moment I am waiting to see if the system becomes stable after disabling Zone Alarm and am studying HJT.

This is what I have in the avast.ini file under the DATA subdir.  I will turn logging on after the current test with the Vista Firewall.

[WebScanner]
AutoRedirect=1
HttpRedirectPort=80
LoadIsapiFilters=1
ISAPIFilter1=ashWsFtr.dll
IgnoreAddress=
IgnoreLocalhost=1
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 03:44:56 PM by info »

info

« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2008, 03:41:10 PM »
It seems I'm hitting the quote button rather than the modifiy button resulting in these extra posts which I cannot get rid of, so please ignore this.  Apologies.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 06:32:20 PM by info »

info

« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2008, 06:16:59 PM »
Just a note to report that without Zone Alarm running I still encounter the same problem.  Strange that turning off avast and turning it back on has not freed up Firefox which has stuck in memory the last two times.  IE failed to connect until I turned avast! on and off twice.  Totally frustrating at this point.  I'm going to run for a while with avast! updates set to off and have disabled Vista Firewall and re-enabled Zone Alarm.  I think I will put the extra line into the avast.ini regarding Zone Alarm that Goliath mentioned but first I will test again with the Web Shield off to double check if that it really is the problem.

This might take a couple of days so, in the meantime, I hope everyone has a good weekend.    ::)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 12:32:08 AM by info »

info

« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2008, 08:13:37 PM »
Again, my apologies for hitting quote instead of modify.  I'm not really used to forums where this cannot be done.  I'll be more careful and report back again with a re-confirmation that Web Shield is indeed the culprit.  I've been on now for a long time (about 4-5 hours) with it disabled and I'm still going strong.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 12:35:09 AM by info »