Author Topic: Web Shield causes all browsers to stop working  (Read 99002 times)

info

Re: Web Shield causes all browsers to stop working
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2008, 06:29:00 PM »
After just shy of three hours of running Firefox stopped connecting and froze even with the updated version of avast.  I was unable to stop the process using task manager.  I disabled/enabled avast! and was able to connect with IE.  What a mystery this is.  I'm wondering if it is a conflict with Firefox and Web Shield.  Is everyone here experiencing this using Firefox?  I've seen some notes that they weren't getting along a while back but they (the notes) did not resolve the issue for me.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2008, 06:31:12 PM »
What operating system are you using, info?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

info

« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2008, 06:39:59 PM »
What operating system are you using, info?
32bit Vista Home Premium SP1 on an HP Pavilion dv9700t w/Intel 8100t 3Gigs Ram.  The system runs beautifilly with avast! Web Shield on (little perceptible speed difference) and then suddenly, I click on a link, and it fails to load.  Not running Web Shield defininitely eliminates this.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 07:47:37 PM by info »

eze

« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2008, 07:22:22 PM »
After just shy of three hours of running Firefox stopped connecting and froze even with the updated version of avast.  I was unable to stop the process using task manager.  I disabled/enabled avast! and was able to connect with IE.  What a mystery this is.  I'm wondering if it is a conflict with Firefox and Web Shield. 

exact same problem, except time that it works correctly varies, but i have to wind up rebooting computer to get firefox back to working again.

info

« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2008, 07:48:42 PM »
After just shy of three hours of running Firefox stopped connecting and froze even with the updated version of avast.  I was unable to stop the process using task manager.  I disabled/enabled avast! and was able to connect with IE.  What a mystery this is.  I'm wondering if it is a conflict with Firefox and Web Shield. 

exact same problem, except time that it works correctly varies, but i have to wind up rebooting computer to get firefox back to working again.
Are you also running Vista Home Premium SP1?

eze

« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2008, 09:24:07 PM »
yes i am.

info

« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2008, 09:28:22 PM »
Hmmmmmm.  ;D

Goliath Corporation

« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2008, 11:21:19 PM »
Hi guys, I'm on XP SP3 and not using ZoneAlarm.  When the problem has occurred, Firefox, IE and Thunderbird (which is using the WebMail plugin) are all affected.  Disabling the Web Shield gets these working again, as well as going into my Network Connections and disabling then enabling my Local Area Connection.  I tend to do the latter as sometimes Web Shield gets hung up and won't restart properly.  https pages (port 443) don't seem to be affected as I can connect to my work web portal at the time the problem is happening.

As for the latest version - I did not experience the problem last night running Firefox, Ventrilo, Ventrilo server and Guild Wars for a couple of hours.  I'm still hoping that this update might have solved things on XP but it's unfortunate to see that you folks on Vista still have the issue.  The biggest test for me would be seeing what happens on Friday and Saturday nights.

Vlk, if a lockup occurs should we capture a dump of the ashWebSv.exe process?

richarddi

« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2008, 11:57:39 PM »
I'm also on Home Premium SP1. I didn't have a lock-up today but also didn't use IE as much as on other days, so I'm not convinced yet. I also find it very hard to believe that it has to do only with ZoneAlarm as there must be millions of people using this combination. And this problem is very rare I think.

richarddi

« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2008, 12:18:48 AM »
Problem not fixed for me, just had a lock-up.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2008, 12:25:22 AM »
HTTPS (secure encrypted) pages won't be effected as they aren't monitored by the web shield.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2008, 10:19:13 AM »
Zone Alarm and a MS update.... for those using ZA this might help

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic157247.html

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2008, 12:05:50 PM »
Goliath, your description sounds more like the problem that was supposed to be fixed in the latest update.

info, once the problem is simulated, please disable avast self defense (avast Settings -> Troubleshooting page) and then start Task Manager, go to the Processes page, righ-click ashWebSv.exe and select Create Dump File. Finally, ZIP the created dump file and upload it to our ftp site as described here: http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=18

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

info

« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2008, 03:45:31 PM »
Zone Alarm and a MS update.... for those using ZA this might help

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic157247.html
I saw this on the Zone Alarm site but they specifically mentioned that Vista users were not affected, I don't know if that has changed because it seems they were working on the problem when I read it.  Also, hitting update on my installed Zone Alarm retrieves a message that it is already up to date which is a bit confusing as ZA is saying that those are the latest versions (I am using the free version) and it seems the version number I have is later than the one on the links given.  Thanks for your input.

The statement from Zone Alarm that Vista users are not affected is here.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 04:09:24 PM by info »

info

« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2008, 03:53:04 PM »
Goliath, your description sounds more like the problem that was supposed to be fixed in the latest update.

info, once the problem is simulated, please disable avast self defense (avast Settings -> Troubleshooting page) and then start Task Manager, go to the Processes page, righ-click ashWebSv.exe and select Create Dump File. Finally, ZIP the created dump file and upload it to our ftp site as described here: http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=18

Thanks
Vlk
OK, I will run Web Shield again today and wait for the problem to reoccur, thanks.  I agree that Goliath's problem has a high probability of being fixed by the "new" version, although my guess is that he has already tried it.  The ZA Forum has had a front page alert on it for a while now.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 09:27:09 PM by info »