Author Topic: Web Shield causes all browsers to stop working  (Read 98995 times)

info

Re: Web Shield causes all browsers to stop working
« Reply #120 on: July 26, 2008, 05:04:00 PM »
Great news Goliath, glad to hear you have solved the problem.

Goliath Corporation

« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2008, 05:40:24 AM »
It seems that I spoke too soon.  :(  Had the lock-up again earlier, but wasn't in a position to dump the image.  Will send the dump file in the next time this happens.

info

« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2008, 06:39:11 PM »
It seems that I spoke too soon.  :(  Had the lock-up again earlier, but wasn't in a position to dump the image.  Will send the dump file in the next time this happens.
Oh no!  I know the feeling only *too* well.  FWIW: On another note, I had the *impression,* that, on Vista HPSP1, the recent avast! update was more consistently causing Firefox to stick in processes requiring a hard reboot to get it to connect again (holding the power button down).  This had happened in the past with the previous version, but the behavior seemed to be occurring more frequently since the update.  Also, since that update of the avast! program, starting Internet Explorer would result in an immediate connection, where in the past, I had to toggle Web Shield to get either Explorer or Firefox to work.  I have not had enough experience with either of these to confirm either suspicion though, since Web Shield is no longer activated on my machine.

Goliath Corporation

« Reply #123 on: July 28, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »
Hi Vlk,

I had the lock-up twice this evening, both times after booting my PC.  I've zipped and have uploaded the dump file  as ashWebSv-Goliath_Corporation-28-07-08.zip to the ftp server.  Hopefully it will provide some useful info!

info, I may well turn the Web Shield off too until the next beta or update. :-\

fooldog01

« Reply #124 on: July 28, 2008, 10:49:43 PM »
Yeah I find myself stopping Web Shield on startup then restarting it. If I forget, its no more than 15 minutes before I get that nice lttle reminder in the form of all my browser ceasing to function.

epp

« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2008, 11:00:11 PM »
I'm running XP Home (SP 3) here and have not experienced Web Shield causing browsers to stop. 

What I have noticed, is that when I run a speed test with Web Shield enabled, the download speed decreases significantly (to 1.5 Mbps).  With Web Shield turned off or paused, the download speed in the same test increased to over 6 Mbps, which is the advertised connection speed.

In one of the other threads, another forum member indicated that it could be due to the slow speed of my system.

fooldog01

« Reply #126 on: July 29, 2008, 06:51:00 PM »
My Web Shield has no effect on speedtests, thats interesting.

Unfortunately I have jumped ship. I installed Avira AntiVir yesterday. I hate to do it because I have been a huge fan of Avast for quite sometime, recommending it frequently. I will keep tabs and when (or if) this problem is rectified, I will be returning to the fold. Sorry Alwil :(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #127 on: July 29, 2008, 08:22:39 PM »
I can't understand why you would jump ship as you say, as far as I'm aware antivir doesn't have a function like the web shield unless you are prepared to pay for the Premium or Suite version.
If that is the case you are better off just terminating the web shield (which as you have previously saiid works) and monitor the situation through the forums.

Sorry this just doesn't make sense to me to jump ship to a product that doesn't even offer a comparative protection, rather than simply terminate the web shield ???

AntiVir also doesn't have email scanning nor does it have functions like the network shield or P2P and Instant Messenger shields, important if you use any of these functions.

There is also the option to use something like filehippo.com and download an older version sat 4.8.1201 and see if that works with web shield enabled and keep that until the issue is resolved.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline jasward

« Reply #128 on: July 31, 2008, 05:39:48 AM »
A friend & I are both using build 4.8.1229 with similar setups - Vista 32bit (he has Home Premium and myself Business Edition) + ZoneAlarm freeware firewall, no other antivirus etc tools - except he sticks with IE while I use Firefox 3.0.1 (he has never installed Firefox).  My friend has no problems, whereas I have had the same experience in this thread of all internet (and network!) access halting after having opened about 20 webpages (rough estimate only), whether or not I close & re-open the browser every now and then, or use IE instead, and using Flashget download manager also seems to contribute to the 'total' events.  Firefox then gets 'stuck' in that it won't unload, and the only way around it for me has been to reboot (which itself then takes such a long time I sometimes have to do a reset).  I think it is not specifically because of ZoneAlarm, as I had the same problem with current version of Outpost Pro.

The SOLUTION (for me) ... I de-activated the WebShield component of Avast!.  Immediately, all is now 100% OK.

My current thinking is I am happy with Avast! and want to stick with it, though having to do without WebShield worries me somewhat, so hoping for a fix soonish (whether from Alwil, Microsoft, ZoneAlarm or whoever).  When I have WebShield on the problems for me are so severe that to re-enable it in the meantime is not tenable for me.

Gelbsucht

« Reply #129 on: July 31, 2008, 03:14:21 PM »
I'm running XP Home (SP 3) here and have not experienced Web Shield causing browsers to stop. 

What I have noticed, is that when I run a speed test with Web Shield enabled, the download speed decreases significantly (to 1.5 Mbps).
I experienced the "freeze"-issue with 2k, XP SP2 + XP SP3. Things went worse this morning as the Ebay login form froze up and therefore I lost an Auction.

I followed the link to the Vista Board somwhere in this Thread and set up the Proxy setting what the girl has recommended (127.0.0.1 Port 12080). Until now, it works fine without ending in a loop... All I can say is that the ashwebsrv does not affect my DSL connection speeds.
I installed Avira AntiVir yesterday. I hate to do it because I have been a huge fan of Avast for quite sometime, recommending it frequently.
Good luck with AntiVir, because the red & free one doesn't check for Spyware which Avast does.
I can't understand why you would jump ship as you say, as far as I'm aware antivir doesn't have a function like the web shield unless you are prepared to pay for the Premium or Suite version.
AntiVir doesn't need to have a dedicated Webshield, because it checks every bit of what will be read or written from/onto your harddrive.

This works with local access, web surfing and filesharing. This does NOT work on Email however (only with the blue Premium version), LAN and any type of Spyware & Adware. I've seen many machines running the red AntiVir on infected with Spyware like SpyAxe, CoolWWWsearch etc... If someone wants to run AntiVir I recommend installing Spybot S&D plus activating its TeaTimer. The next problem will be that the TeaTimer is for advanced users only because it doesn't work fully automated.

info

« Reply #130 on: July 31, 2008, 04:00:54 PM »
The problem jasward is experiencing is *exactly* the problem I have on my machine (down to the details on sticking and having to do a "hard" reboot because of the length of time it takes Vista to close by clicking reset).  We both have Zone Alarm in common (which I never removed).  Also, it somehow doesn't seem that Firefox is getting along with avast!.  jasward, are you using NoScript by any chance? 

Yesterday, I ran CCleaner on my setup and cleaned the registry as well (worked flawlessly and impressively on Vista).  I have not the oportunity to test avast! again yet.  Possibly a complete removal (as David suggested) of ZA and cleaning out the registry items might do it.  I'm not sure if jasward removed ZA to test though.

wyrmrider

« Reply #131 on: July 31, 2008, 09:51:14 PM »
Info
somewhere in this thread this has undoubtedly been said
so I'm just going to cut and past from another post

Some guesses here
you are running vista
therefore this may be a new machine
did it come with an AV or Suite pre-installed?
If so go to PC Hell
for example
http://www.pchell.com/virus/uninstallmcafee.shtml
you can navigate to Norton and Panda from the bottom of the post
remove avast
reboot
follow the instructions
run the avast removal tool link also on pc hell website
reboot
reinstall avast

INFO
if you had a pre installed AV or Suite did you remove completely with one of the tools?
sorry if this is duplicate INFOrmation :)

info

« Reply #132 on: August 01, 2008, 12:05:35 AM »
hello wyrmrider it's good to see you again, I can confirm that I did that in spades with NIS.  First add/remove, then Norton Cleanup tool, then HJT and followed Davids instruction, then CCleanup found even more things in the registry.  All traces of NIS were removed, but I never tried removing Zone Alarm, I just shut it down and rebooted.  I don't *think* it's ZA, but then *thinking* doesn't cut it when it comes to this particular situation.   I cannot confirm that it is not ZA conflicting somehow with Vista Home Premium and possibly Firefox.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 12:11:21 AM by info »

wyrmrider

« Reply #133 on: August 01, 2008, 12:07:36 AM »
That eliminates a big cause of these types of problems
anyone else?

richarddi

« Reply #134 on: August 02, 2008, 03:32:01 PM »
Can somebody tell me what the danger is in surfing without the webshield?