Author Topic: Web Shield causes all browsers to stop working  (Read 98970 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Web Shield causes all browsers to stop working
« Reply #135 on: August 02, 2008, 03:36:06 PM »
Can somebody tell me what the danger is in surfing without the webshield?
Webshield scans the http traffic (Internet) and avoid that any infected file is even saved in your disk. If you use Standard Shield at High level of sensibility, you'll avoid that any file is read or executed and then you can disable WebShield.
The better performance with protection is WebShield enabled and Standard Shield at Normal level. But you could use avast without WebShield and Standard Shield at high.
Hope it helps.
The best things in life are free.

fooldog01

« Reply #136 on: August 02, 2008, 06:28:57 PM »
I can't understand why you would jump ship as you say, as far as I'm aware antivir doesn't have a function like the web shield unless you are prepared to pay for the Premium or Suite version.
If that is the case you are better off just terminating the web shield (which as you have previously saiid works) and monitor the situation through the forums.

Sorry this just doesn't make sense to me to jump ship to a product that doesn't even offer a comparative protection, rather than simply terminate the web shield ???

AntiVir also doesn't have email scanning nor does it have functions like the network shield or P2P and Instant Messenger shields, important if you use any of these functions.

There is also the option to use something like filehippo.com and download an older version sat 4.8.1201 and see if that works with web shield enabled and keep that until the issue is resolved.

Well I wasn't aware of the lack of web scanning by AntiVir so technically I guess I am in the same boat as before. I dont use the P2P, IM or Network Shield so it doesnt really matter either way then. I still plan to reinstall Avast once the problem is resolved but for right now I am just going to leave things as they are. I will still keep tabs here to see the progress on the issue.

richarddi

« Reply #137 on: August 02, 2008, 08:10:16 PM »
Thanks Tech, I've set the standard shield at high. Hope it doesn't slow things down or doesn't let me access particular pages. We will see.....

info

« Reply #138 on: August 02, 2008, 08:51:45 PM »
Can somebody tell me what the danger is in surfing without the webshield?
Webshield scans the http traffic (Internet) and avoid that any infected file is even saved in your disk. If you use Standard Shield at High level of sensibility, you'll avoid that any file is read or executed and then you can disable WebShield.
The better performance with protection is WebShield enabled and Standard Shield at Normal level. But you could use avast without WebShield and Standard Shield at high.
Hope it helps.
Thanks, that certainly could be helpful.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #139 on: August 03, 2008, 01:06:44 AM »
You're welcome ;)

richarddi

« Reply #140 on: August 10, 2008, 04:26:58 AM »
Nevermind.....
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 09:18:15 AM by richarddi »

Abra Cadabra

« Reply #141 on: January 16, 2009, 08:53:13 PM »
I have been experiencing the same issue; all browsers not pulling up pages on two 32bit VistaSP1 machines. My 64bit machine remains unaffected. The 32bit machines use Avast/Zone Alarm with almost identical setups. The 64bit uses Commando but the rest of the software setup is the same. I can stop and restart the webshield but this occasionally causes the browser processes to become unresponsive and they cannot be stopped, I must then restart my computer, which can take forever. I'm usually stuck doing a hard reboot.

I've seen a lot of posts throughout the web related to this, most do not realize that Avast is the culprit.

My Event log is packed with shutdown performance monitoring entries. Control Panel>Performance Information and Tools>Advanced Tools> 'Programs are causing Windows to shut down slowly. View Details.' then listed are Explorer, Firefox and Safari.'>View details in event log>

Is there a definitive way to fix this and not bandaid it by restarting? If I missed it, I apologize but there are 10pgs worth of suggestions.

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #142 on: January 16, 2009, 11:01:11 PM »
Are you using ZA free or Pro?

More info about avast WebShield and ZA compatibility:  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.msg15960#msg15960

info

« Reply #143 on: January 17, 2009, 03:53:51 AM »
I'm wondering: was the issue finally resolved (for the free version)?  That's an awfully involved looking thread.  I gave up trying to solve it and moved to Avira Antivir while waiting for things to finally to get cleared up.  I like the shields which avast! has on the free version (Avira does not), but the detection rate and other features make it an excellent alternative for machines on which problems still exist.  If I knew for sure avast! was OK on Vista Home Premium 32bit SP1, I would switch back though.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #144 on: January 17, 2009, 04:04:46 AM »
Without wishing to offend I suppose I could say "what problem for the free version"?

It is clear that some users have experienced a problem but, given the huge number of avast users, they represent - at least as expressed here - a tiny minority.  All I can report is that none of the Vista 32 bit users I support (though I must say all Ultimate SP1) have experienced any problems with the free version of avast up to current release. 

It may be that the configuration provoking the problem for the affected group is still prevalent on your system.  While I would not wish you to take any risks with your system, if you have a current backup and can try the current avast release and report back in this thread the results it may well give additional information to the avast team (whether it be good or bad news).

info

« Reply #145 on: January 17, 2009, 04:12:47 AM »
Only some people are affected, that is for sure.  Thanks Alan, but I'm exhausted from trying the last time and am good for now.  When I move to 64bit, probably later in the year, I will return to avast! as I have always appreciated it. 

Abra Cadabra

« Reply #146 on: January 19, 2009, 03:57:38 PM »
In response to "Are you using ZA free or Pro?" I am using the free version.

I'm fed up with the problem. I am moving to another Anti Virus. I have always backed Avast and still find it a great program, but when it cripples my computers I must look for another solution.

I wish there was a way to know when/if this problem was resolved...

driftpimp

« Reply #147 on: March 05, 2009, 02:10:53 AM »
I have been using Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 32bit edition for about 4 months and have also run into this issue.

System:
Homebuilt
AMD Opteron 185
GA-K8N-Ultra-9
2GB Mushkin Redline DDR500
1 WD Raptor 36gb system disk
2x WD Raptor Raid 0 application disks
1 WD 320 Media disk
Nvidia 8800 GTS 320MB
Acer p243Waid 24" LCD

Security Software:
Avast Free Home Edition
Zone Alarm
Adaware

Network:
3COM OfficeConnect VPN Firewall 4 port 10/100 Switch
(system w/ issue is hardwired)
Airtek WAP
Linksys CIT400 VOIP

I have found that by disabling and then re-enabling Webshield, that I can restore browsing capabilities. I've never had a problem before, this a is a recent issue. I installed ZoneAlarm and Adaware AFTER the problems started occuring in the off chance that I had some sort of infection on my system (no). I don't know what the problem is but if Aliwil can't fix this, I'm going to have to stop recommending their software which, IMHO, would be a damn shame.

TG2

« Reply #148 on: March 22, 2009, 05:25:50 PM »
Its march ... there's been no active posts on this topic from someone in the Avast/Awil team in a while ... I've had this problem and am also looking for a solution.

I have noticed one other thing, I use the URL filter and have had this problem occur on XP pro SP3, though not as frequently as its been on a CLEAN install of Vista Business sp1+

I run Zonealarm Pro, on my machines, Privacy options (Cookie, Ad, Mobile code) are ALL turned off (never used and *I* have always defaulted them to off on my installs)

Problems with the "restart webshield" comments people have made ... I have an alarm site that monitors several processes and updates every 60 seconds.  When this problem with Webshield happens, it means I'm not getting updates in my browser, and hence if I decide to nap or actually take time to sleep ... that this web shield problem could mean that I would miss an alarm.

I have decided I will have to turn off the web shield when I need to sleep so that I can catch alarms, but I would much rather the issue be fixed.

Reasons why this issue may not be seen by everyone..

• how many people really use their pc's 24/7 or nearly that way?  (suggesting that maybe this is somehow related to the network stack and more browsing might cause this to happen faster to some than others)
  • how many just "reboot" without looking to figure out what is going on?
  • is this problem only with people who use Zonealarm (free or pro)?

Each of those questions further reduce the number of possible complaints ... but the fact that there are enough people having exactly the same problem, and with exactly same temporary solution (restart web shield) that suggests if more people were using their pc's the same way, they'd see the problem and then might be looking for a resolution.

There is only *one* other issue I've seen that is outside this with regards to IE or Firefox, which points to some sort of web oddity.  I like to frequent a Daily Sudoku site.. and within the past 2 months have found that I can no longer use the site with Internet Explorer ... this because while trying to play the game with cursor keys, I find that through IE there is a 1 to 5 second lag for the onscreen game to respond to my keypress.  I go to the exact same site through Firefox and there is no delay.  The website says they believe this is an issue with IE and java, which they laughingly say shouldn't be used together.

System info:
1 - self built AMD X2 (939 socket not AM2) 2 gigs ram, onboard ether, SB Audigy, Windows XP Pro sp3 +all microsoft updates, Zonealarm Pro (current), Spybot Search & Destroy w/Teatimer, office 2003,

1 - HP laptop intel dual core, intially windows vista home premium - reloaded with Vista Business, SP1 +all windows updates, office 2007, zone alarm pro (current), spybot w/teatimer

At no time have "trialware" applications been installed and then removed (ie. exception for something like Avast which then gets registered with the key and becomes valid for 14 months, etc ... but avast has never been removed)

I have not timed the issue to see if the problem with Vista shows at exactly 4 hours, nor have I counted the number of websites or other links I've followed, to see if either of these corresponds to something like the 4 hour update window of Avast.

Help!!??

ba0645

« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2009, 05:51:26 PM »
Hello,
I am facing the same problem here. Fresh installation of Windows Vista Ultimate 32 Bit, Zonealarm Home, Avast Antivirus. All versions are up to date. All Windows Updates are on board. After browsing some time browsers stop working. This happens with both browsers (Firefox & IE). After stopping webshield of Avast Antivirus everything works again like a charm. Activating webshield again causes the same problem after some time of browsing.

Hope they will fix this as soon as possible.

Did I read somewhere, that Avast 4.9 is near ? Maybe it works then.

Help !!?!?!?