Author Topic: Using avast to check e-mail  (Read 11800 times)

ace2701

Using avast to check e-mail
« on: July 13, 2008, 06:09:59 AM »
I'm another refugee from AVG who still uses W98SE.
I've been trying to configure avast by myself, and so
far have been successful.  The problem I have at this
moment is that I can't seem to get avast to scan my
incoming (or outgoing) e-mail.  Is there anyone who
can lead me through a process to get the e-mail
checker to work?

W98SE  avast 4.8.1201  Firefox 2.0.0.15  Agent 1.91/32.564 (for e-mail and newsgroups)  Zone Alarm 6.1.744.001

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Using avast to check e-mail
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 08:24:52 PM »
Have you run the avast mail protection wizard ?

Does Zone Alarm allow ashMaiSv.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and do a manual update and reconnect to the internet, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.

The server address for both POP and SMTP should be set to 127.0.0.1
The POP server name set to: username#pop.isp.com (use the actual username and ISP info)
and... SMTP server name to: username#smtp.isp.com

You can go into the Help file within the Avast Scanner and look up Manual configuration.  It will take you through it step by step.  It is not hard to do.

Check the avast help file for Setting up mail Protection. Switch of your email client and run the Mail Protection Wizard - Or you can set it up manually.
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4 - look for, ashPopWz.exe - double click this and it will run the Wizard

Or see this thread for further information and advice User's FAQ - Mail Protection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ace2701

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 08:44:46 PM »
Hi DavidR.. I've done most of what you suggested with no results.
I haven't changed the POP and SMTP names to my username yet
but will try in a minute.  I will include the # and see if that does it.

ace2701

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 09:06:44 PM »
OK.. Changed the .ini file to "my e-mail name#pop.my ISP.com and the same for SMTP.
Did not work.  Sent myself a test message.  Checked the raw message, should have contained
a "clear" notice, but did not.  Already tried the wizard and help files.  Any other suggestions?
Oh, one other thing.. in the On access protection control it shows the internet mail provider.
Is there something that would show if my Agent e-mail program is being scanned?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 09:12:49 PM »
ace2701, If you have Windows 98\Me, the change of the login settings is normal while using avast. See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=display;board=2;threadid=7913;start=0#msg64228

With Win98 SE you should have:

pop3 server= smtp server = 127.0.0.1
username = mail.server.coml#user or mail.server.com#user@server.com
smtp authentication enabled and the username there = mail.server.coml#user or mail.server.com#user@server.com

OK.. Changed the .ini file to "my e-mail name#pop.my ISP.com and the same for SMTP.
Did not work.
The changes should be into your email program and not avast4.ini file.
That settings are for 'default' email account to send files to Alwil for analysis (for instance).
The best things in life are free.

ace2701

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 10:39:31 PM »
Hi tech.. Sorry to seem dumb, but exactly where should
the pop3 server= and username= go.  Also, I don't need
smtp authentication with my e-mail account.
I reset the .ini file, and reconfigured the e-mail using the manual
wizard as I don't use Outlook.  Still can't see any evidence
of scanning on my incoming or outgoing e-mail.  Please bare with
me as I continue to try and figure this out.   :-[

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 10:46:11 PM »
Previously you said you had done 'most' of what I suggested, did that include the ZA Program Control check for ashMaiSv.exe and the deletion of the line if one found for ashmaisv.exe ?
Then check your email as normal ZA should ask again.

As if the mail protection wizard got the original settings right the only thing I can think of is the firewall blocking.

What is the full error message that is displayed by your email program when you try to collect email ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 10:52:47 PM »
Hi tech.. Sorry to seem dumb, but exactly where should
the pop3 server= and username= go.  Also, I don't need
smtp authentication with my e-mail account.
Which email program do you use?
The best things in life are free.

ace2701

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 03:50:19 AM »
What is the full error message that is displayed by your email program when you try to collect email ?Posted by: DavidR

I don't get any error messages.  I get any e-mail sent to me, but no evidence that avast is scanning it.

Which email program do you use?Posted by: Tech

I use the e-mail program in Agent 1.91

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 07:28:30 PM »
If you are not even getting an error message it does seem to point to firewall blocking. As if it got to the point of trying to connect then free agent would throw up an error 'if' the connections settings were wrong.

You still didn't say if there was an existing zone alarm entry for ashMaiSv.exe and if so if you deleted that entry in the firewall program control ?

ace2701

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 06:07:47 AM »

You still didn't say if there was an existing zone alarm entry for ashMaiSv.exe and if so if you deleted that entry in the firewall program control ?

Sorry for the delay DavidR.  There was an entry in zone alarm, and I did delete it.  When I rebooted my machine, it did not show up and
never asked me to allow it (or not) when the e-mail was checked.  When I reconfigured with the wizard, it reappeared in zone alarm
with the original settings (allow all regions except ask for internet server).

One other thing I noticed.  When I mouse over the active avast icon in zone alarm, it says "Web Scanner listening to port(s): TCP12080".
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 06:16:51 AM by ace2701 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 04:04:28 PM »
That is the localhost port used by the web shield to redirect http traffic so it can be scanned, so it would be listening (it isn't connecting, just listening on your local system).

ace2701

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 04:10:01 PM »
OK, so where does that put me and what else can I do to get avast to scan e-mail?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 04:27:02 PM »
You have to manually set it up as previously explained by Tech.

Since you have been trying lots of different things, I would suggest starting from square one. Run the email protection wizard and select the option to remove protection.

That should set your email accounts back to what they were, but because of the various attempts to get it to work, that may not work. In which case you would need to manually set your email accounts to what they were.

Now you should run the mail protection wizard again (don't touch your email account settings manually), that should set them up to use the avast! email proxy of the Internet Mail provider.

Then it is down to any possible firewall blocking, which we have been chasing..

ace2701

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 09:43:45 PM »
Here's something I might try.  It's from the Zone Alarm help file.

To add to a Host or Site to the trusted Zone:

Select Firewall|Zones.
Click Add, then select Host/Site.
The Add Host/Site dialog appears.

Select Trusted from the Zones drop-down list.
Type the fully qualified host name in the Host name field.
Type a description of the host/site, then click OK.

Now, any idea what the fully qualified host/site entry should be?  And what sort of a description I should put in?  ???

Oh yeah, your last idea didn't work.  :(
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 09:45:24 PM by ace2701 »