Author Topic: SVCHOST.exe Move to Chest still active @ Windows Task Manager  (Read 5215 times)

tiancs2008

Avast has detected a Trojan's, so I moved it to the virus chest , the file also remove from C:\windows\system32\OOBE\0201\SVCHOST.exe but when i run Windows Task Manager show that SVCHOST.exe in the list under User Name SYTSTEM, NETWORK SERVICE & LOCAL SERVICE, below listing as per Windows Task Manager table

Image Name         User Name                    CPU  Mem Usage
--------------      ---------------------    ----  -----------------
SVCHOST.EXE       SYSTEM                       00    1,436 K
SVCHOST.EXE       SYSTEM                       00    1,512 K
SVCHOST.EXE       NETWORK SERVICE         00    1,392 K
SVCHOST.EXE       SYSTEM                       00    5,336 K
SVCHOST.EXE       NEXWORK SERVICE         00    1,255 K
SVCHOST.EXE       LOCAL SERVICE             00       722 K

Is this normal?  What this SVCHOST.exe use for ? I've remove to chest why system still can run this SVCHOST.exe ?

Can someone help me?

Happy-Dude

Re: SVCHOST.exe Move to Chest still active @ Windows Task Manager
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 04:16:26 PM »
Yes, this is completely normal, tiancs2008.

svchost.exe , from what I understand, carries out a bunch of services and stuff together as one process. (Like the wireless capabilities + indexing + many others.)

Now, even though that is a common Windows process, you probably have caught something that imitates the process name (so people wouldn't normally terminate it since svchost.exe is usually for important Windows functionality).

Check out this page, a svchost.exe caused by a virus: http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/?files=scvhost.exe .

Here is a Wikipedia page, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svchost , on it, which better explains your situation. Also, a more complete list of services that use the svchost.exe process (by CastleCops) http://castlecops.com/modules.php?name=O23&query=svchost.exe .

Unfortunately, that's as far as I can help. Without more information, I don't know whether you caught a virus, false positive, ectera. Post back with more information, and perhaps some logfiles :) !!

Spiritsongs

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 07:17:16 PM »
 :)  Hi tiancs :

I recommend you read through the EXCELLENT "Tutorial" at

www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial129.html  .

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 07:57:51 PM »
Nothing unusual in your Task Manager, see image of mine

Many trojans/malware use the names of system files (but located in a different location to the system files) to confuse the user into believing they are system files, the give away is they aren't in the windows system(32)/s folders.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security