Author Topic: ctpopup.exe  (Read 4885 times)

gdiloren

ctpopup.exe
« on: July 13, 2008, 10:14:40 PM »
I'm getting increasingly suspicious about CTPOPUP.EXE from HauteSecure, a new program I installed last week. I suspect it as being malicious. I can't do a quick scan on it as it gives me an access error and I suspect it to behave likewise with all other security softwares. Can you investigate this file? 8) I can't attach it to this post nor compress it,  it is refused but I am an administrator so I don't understand... :-X
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 10:16:42 PM by gdiloren »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: ctpopup.exe
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 10:40:44 PM »
Can't you submit (upload) it to the ftp server?

I can't attach it to this post nor compress it,  it is refused but I am an administrator so I don't understand... :-X
exe files can't be attached to posts in forums.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 10:52:42 PM »
Here is your first port of call for your suspicions, http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=CTPOPUP.EXE.

http://www.prevx.com/filenames/X3218378697620016084-0/CTPOPUP.EXE.html

I would have though that hautsecure would also abve been an early port of call.
http://blog.hautesecure.com/forums/p/204/480.aspx.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gdiloren

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 12:09:33 AM »
Can't you submit (upload) it to the ftp server?

I can't attach it to this post nor compress it,  it is refused but I am an administrator so I don't understand... :-X
exe files can't be attached to posts in forums.
I did a drag and drop of CTPOPUP.EXE in the ftp:/ftp.avast.com/incoming and it should have worked but I can't see it by myself. Can somebody check it?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 12:16:18 AM »
But I can't see it by myself. Can somebody check it?
You won't have READ access to the ftp server, just write - so you won't even be able to see what you've just uploaded. Send an email to virus (at) avast (dot) com with the name of the uploaded file and a link to this thread ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline misak

• Personal page (CZE)
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 04:44:41 PM »
we haven't any file with name "CTPOPUP.EXE" on our FTP so far. Better way is send it by email or upload it in password protected archive.

gdiloren

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 07:18:26 PM »
I tried again using IE but it's not working. I installed Filezilla and uploaded the file but access here again was refused. It's in my HauteSecure Folder, in the property, details, it has no name, it's 99-100 ko, it can't be compressed because of reader rigths and I tried to change the administrator rights but that too is refused. Looks like hard stuff here...! I downloaded HauteSecure googling it and FINJAN, SITEADISOR and WOT all were green OK. I guess you'll have to install it to get the file. Thanks. >:(

gdiloren

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »
Just connected to the internet on my old XPsp3 PC without trace of HauteSecure and BoClean updated normally to this afternoon def. On my Vista computer with virus (?) CTPOPUP.EXE there is no update installed since thursday. I download updates manually but the date stays July 10th!!! I can't open or access CTPOPUP.EXE so I can't email or upload you. But it is suspicious. Look at the screenshot of the properties:there is no vendor name, nothing. It takes control of the pc DEEP so called for security reason. Haven't tried to uninstall yet but I am suspicious it would fail. ???
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 11:14:17 PM by gdiloren »

gdiloren

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 11:16:25 PM »
In other words, is HauteSecure reliable and is ctpopup.exe "scannable" to common antimalwares since it can't be opened or accessed??? :(

gdiloren

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 02:35:14 AM »
That's a file I can't upload to VirusTotal, for example (access denied)!!! No wonder nobody ever found it as being malware, it's not permitted to open it, access refused. 8)

gdiloren

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 08:43:16 PM »
I uninstalled HauteSecure. It was interfering with both Adawre and Boclean at least. I had to go on SAFE MODE and use MalwareBytes file ASSASIN to delete CTPOPUP.EXE and the HauteSecure folder. Though I haven't been contacted in 24hrs by HauteSecure about this file and all over mentionned I can't make a clear opinion on this program and invite AILWIL to make sure it is not virus. >:(